skull candy
Aug 31, 2008 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

doxology

Head-Fier
i was at target today and noticed that they had alot canal type phones than i expected.

alot of the ones i saw where ones talked about alot in the cheaper end of things.

they had the denon AH-C351, also the jbl reference 220's, they also had the bose, and some sony's though i don't think they are they more popular sony ones. and alot of people don't like bose either.

anyways.... to the point i saw they had the different pairs of skull candy's iem and one pair that looked like full seal headphones. the full sized headphones i think where $50, and the iem's where $15, $30, and $50 in price. i have seen skull candy's talked about by some especially when it comes to price and was wondering which pair was the popular ones. could it be one of those sets or are the popular ones more expensive than those sets? just wandering because i am still trying to find a good cheap iem type phone that sounds good to replace my koss ksc 75's.

Aug 31, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 28
well i haven't really wanted to spend over $30. mainly want something that sounds good at a low price. i still have my koss ksc 75's and i also have a pair of grado SR80's. i know in that price range the jvc stuff has been popular, and i had heard some good things about some sort of pair from skull candy and thought maybe they had a good sounding pair for cheap. i mean considering how popular the air cushions and marshmallows are i thought perhaps there was a chance of one of those sets being good.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 28
JVC Air cushions are good. I love my Skullcandy full metal jackets which were probably the $50 ones you saw. If they are the 9mm model that is too much. But I have crappy ears according to this forum. Many will agree about the JVC Air Cushions and here they are only $34.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 28
I like Skullcandy Ink'd canaphones and the FMJs but for under $20, you can't go wrong with the JVC Air Cushions. Most B&M stores sell them for around $35 but ANTOnline will let you have a set for under$20.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 28
Are you just wanting to buy from Best Buy? If not, I just remembered a very nice find I made a couple weeks ago for a very low cost, the Fuji Labs canaphones. They look exactly like Sennheiser CX300s but their bass is much tamer and the highs are brighter. They sound a lot like a slightly more refined JVC Air Cushion.

They're selling on Buy.com for about $23 with shipping.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you just wanting to buy from Best Buy? If not, I just remembered a very nice find I made a couple weeks ago for a very low cost, the Fuji Labs canaphones. They look exactly like Sennheiser CX300s but their bass is much tamer and the highs are brighter. They sound a lot like a slightly more refined JVC Air Cushion.

They're selling on Buy.com for about $23 with shipping.

no just trying to find something that sounds good but is also the best bang for the buck so to speak.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 28
There are too many decent canalphones at the low end to bother with skullcandy... The Denon 351s are good, a little better than the CX300s. Heck, the CX300s are good, esp. if you can get them about about $20. Beware of fakies on eBay, though. Once again, the marshmallows are standard fare at the price point.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are too many decent canalphones at the low end to bother with skullcandy... The Denon 351s are good, a little better than the CX300s. Heck, the CX300s are good, esp. if you can get them about about $20. Beware of fakies on eBay, though. Once again, the marshmallows are standard fare at the price point.

i always hate looking for new headphones because music and sound is such a selective thing to the buyer. the cx300's from stuff i have seen online have mixed reviews, but i see the same thing with some of the higher end stuf as well. though i was always a koss fan and a grado fan. i use to buy ktxpro's all the time, though it seems they aren't listed on koss' website anymore. so i switched to the ksc75's and also have my grado's SR80's and the clarity is just amazing with those.

i just am looking for something that is good sounding offers decent isolation and has a good price. something that still sounds amazing but if they go bad or a wreck them etc wouldn't kill me to buy another pair. thats what i love about the ksc75's. i can just buy another pair on sale for $10 if i wreck a previous set.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 28
I like Skullcandy too. I have the Ink'd buds and the rasta Smokin buds. Both were less than $25 for me. They're really not that bad. It seems Skullcandy takes almost as much heat here as Bose. I'm gonna say it once: FOR $15 YOU'RE GETTING A $15 PAIR OF HEADPHONES. Don't believe all the hype. It's up to your ears to find out what is good.

Welcome to Head-Fi. Some like to go nuts with the bashing of products(which is fine if it's overpriced Bose
tongue.gif
)

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by doxology /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just am looking for something that is good sounding offers decent isolation and has a good price. something that still sounds amazing but if they go bad or a wreck them etc wouldn't kill me to buy another pair. thats what i love about the ksc75's. i can just buy another pair on sale for $10 if i wreck a previous set.

The Skullcandys are perfect for that. You can get the Ink'd for $9.99 at FYE(usually in the mall). And since they're so cheap it's not very sad if you accidentally break them. I've had mine for a few months and they're still going strong(of course I'm careful with my stuff). But the Skullcandys and the KSC 75s are perfect for this situation. Isolation is decent(not like more expensive earphones) but not bad for a low end. Plus there's three sizes of ear gels to find the right size fit.

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 28
well i would like something that sounds as good as better than my ksc75's but was also very study and had good cables etc so they would last better or through me being rough with them.

also looking for something with good clarity and good bass, if a mix of that can be found in that price range that are still durable.

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 28
Yea, those 75s are a gem, eh?

First, about the Skullcandys. And the Boses. When we bash both, most of us keep the cost in mind. The Boses cost stacks and are good, but aren't that good. The Skullcandys...the expensive ones that far too expensive for the sound, and the cheap ones...well, I prefer the new iPod stocks. So, compared to *free*, the Skullcandys suck. They're cheap, sure, but for a teensy bit more you can do a heckuva lot better.

There's a low end thread pretty recently. From there and from lots of other place, it sounds like the Marshmallows are the way to go. Cheap and good. Why settle for cheap and lousy? Might as well use the iBuds if you're gonna do that. I hear ya about the CX300s. Some people like'em, some people hate'em. And for RRP...bluek. So, go for the JVCs.

N.B.: I'm talking about the new iPod buds. Actually, the new iPhone buds. They're really not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back