Skoda Octavia Turbo RS and Fabia RS
Dec 9, 2003 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
Anybody like these two affordable sports editions?

If you want a family and sportscar in the same package theres nothing that is more effective for your money i think.

Dec 9, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 43
Firstly, it is not RS, it is vRS. Most people originally thought it was RS, and Skoda maintains that it was always vRS. The reason for this was that Ford would get upset as they have a line of Sports cars here in Europe named RS (the latest being the Focus RS).

Now, to the cars themselves. Yes I like them very much. And next year, it is very likely I will buy the Fabia vRS. Both are excellent cars, but the Fabia is an incredible car for the money. Let me explain why....

It is the second car in its class (behind its closely related cousin, the Ibiza Sport TDI) and one of only two cars in its class (hot hatchback) to be powered by a Turbodiesel engine. This gives the Fabia relatively modest performance on paper, but on the road, it is EXTREMELY potent and powerful. The engine is a 1.9 Turbo Diesel employing the Pumpe Duse system developed by Volkswagon, and an engine that first saw use in the VW Golf GT TDI. It produces 130 bhp, which although is not amazing for its class, it is a reasonable output for a car of its size. However, there are far more impressive statistics than this. For starters, this little hatchback develops an ENORMOUS 310 Nm of Torque at 1,900 rpm.

To give an idea of just how much torque this is, it is more than a Porsche Boxster S, if I remember correctly (this from a car barely 1/3 of the price). This gives the Skoda the ability to accelerate VERY hard in almost any gear at any speed. Few cars are able to live with the Fabia vRS in most circumstances, especially up hills, where its enormous torque makes light work of those. In gear acceleration is startling for its class, accelerating from 50 - 75 mph in 6th gear in around 13 seconds, whilst barely ticking over!!

With it being a Turbodiesel, it has some disadvantages over an equivalent petrol model. It can only rev to around 5,000 rpm, which compared to a petrol hot hatch, which can normally rev to about 7,000 rpm, gives it a slight disadvantage on long straights. From a standstill, Skoda claims 0-62 mph in 9.6 seconds, which does not sound good, but in reality, it has already achieved 8.5 seconds 0-62 in magazine roadtests, which hardly qualifies it as being a slouch. Its on the move where it is most impressive, knocking up a top speed of 130 mph, and sprinting from 30-70 mph in 7 seconds. It will show most cars in its class a clean pair of heals on the move.

However, being a Turbodiesel, it has one MAJOR advantage over its rivals. Especially here in the UK where fuel is expensive, and that is - ECONOMY. This car can easily do 50 miles per gallon even when driven hard, where its rivals will be left doing around 20 miles per gallon driven hard. This means it costs less than HALF to run this car than just about any rival. Its also cheaper to insure, and less likely to get stolen. Finally, its also in the region of between 20 and 50% cheaper than just about all the cars it competes with.

This car is a genuine bargain, as is the other car, the Octavia vRS.

The Octavia is a bigger version of the Fabia, with more space. It features a normal petrol engine, and is thirsty on fuel. However, it is still a very entertaining car to drive. It uses the same engine as the Audi TT, a 180 bhp 1.8 liter Turbo 20 valve petrol engine. And for a car of its size and power, its pretty quick too. 0-62 in 7.9 seconds, and 30-70 in 6.9 seconds. Top speed is around 140+ mph. Its a bit of a bargain too, being about 50% cheaper than many of its competitors. However, it is not quite the bargain that the Fabia is.

So thanks for giving me something to type about in my last hour at work, you have hit on two of my favourite cars there, one of which I am very likely to be owning this time next year.

g600_01.jpg

Fabia vRS

octavia_RS_010%5B1%5D.jpg

Octavia vRS

Dec 10, 2003 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 43
I dont know much from personal experience about the Fabia. But we actually own the 20V turbo version of Octavia and our neighbour owns the vRS. The octavia 20V is an improved Golf IV. Its an awsome car being enough to fit all your needs unlike the Fabia RS while it doesnt have a big consumption as oct. vRS (sorry cant express that in mpg only l/100km). For the money its a bargain. Better bargain than the vRS.

Anyway how much does the Fabia vRS cost?

Do you know the IBIZA cupra?

Dec 10, 2003 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 43
These car are not available here in US
frown.gif

As so do many others.. I would love to see Peugeot 206CC (Cabriolet) and 206 GTi, as well as Fiat Punto here.

206CC Poor Man's Lexus(SC430)

206cc5.jpg

Dec 10, 2003 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 43
i guess you can order these cars in the US from some importer couldnt you?

And there would be no problem finding parts as 99% of the mechanical parts are same as in the other small VW cars.

Dec 10, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 43
Why not consider a cleo cup/rs/v6 ?

They rip period.

Dec 10, 2003 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by marios_mar
i guess you can order these cars in the US from some importer couldnt you?

And there would be no problem finding parts as 99% of the mechanical parts are same as in the other small VW cars.

You can, but it isn't exactly cheap. You would have to ship it over here, and then you have to make it compliant to the U.S. emissions standards and if you buy the car from the UK or Japan you have to convert it to a left hand driver.

There are a lot cars that Europe and Japan get that we never see here in the states and it is a pity since there are a lot of great cars on the other side of the pond.

Dec 11, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 43
I was just reading a car magazine the other day, and the STi 22B sold out in 24 hours!!...talk about crazy. That car is fast as hell. Something that's also crazy is the CTS V. Albeit expensive, it's a fine piece of motoring equipment. (so is the new, 205mph Porsche Carrera GT).

Personally, I'd just go for a Vauxhall VX220 (sounds more badass than Opel Speedster), and mod the hell out of it.

Quote:

206CC Poor Man's Lexus(SC430)

I'd say the Mitsubishi (mitt-sue-bish-e) 3000GT spyder is that, it's so much better than the peugeut it's not even funny, and cheaper too
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
Why not consider a cleo cup/rs/v6 ?

They rip period.

I'll tell you why. Because they are more expensive, far more expensive to run, even more expensive to insure, not as well built, and likely to get stolen in many of the places where I have to park. I use my car for work you see, and I work for the city council. Newcastle has some VERY rough places where crime is sky high, and you do not want something that overly attracts attention. I agree the Clios are good cars though.

D-EJ915, The Vauxhall VX220 (which is basically a Lotus Elise) was given performance car of the year award in the UK by car magazine Evo in Turbo form. Its a very nice car that is affordable for some, and gives supercar performance with few of the drawbacks a genuine supercar brings.

Dec 11, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by marios_mar
Do you know the IBIZA cupra?

Nearly missed this. The Ibiza is basically the same car as the Fabia, and as yet, there is no Cupra version of the current shape Ibiza. The Ibiza equivalent to the Fabia vRS at the moment is the Ibiza Sport TDI. It shares the same 130bhp engine, and similar handling and performance. Its also more expensive than the Fabia, doesnt look as good (IMO), and is not quite as well built, but it is ever so slightly lighter (not that it makes a noticable difference to performance).

The Cupra models are due out next year. There is going to be 3 models, including 1 turbodiesel. The Turbodiesel model will likely be one of the more sought after models, with a brand new 2.0-litre lump, producing 170 bhp. Torque figure, I dont know yet, but its likely to be approaching 400 Nm
eek.gif
. On top of that, you can expect 2 petrol variants, a 180 bhp and 225 bhp 1.8 Turbo 20v cars, both with the Audi TT engine, and being known as Cupra and Cupra R respectively. In the highest state of tune, its likely that the Ibiza Cupra R will be able to accelerate from 0-62 mph in just 6.4 seconds, and go on to a top speed of around 150 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back