Skip the ground in new interconnect?
May 9, 2007 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Chopha

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of making myself a new interconnect for my portable rig and I wonder how important it is to solder one of the conductors as ground?
Is it crucial or can I skip that?

Why I ask is because I have taught myself a really good looking braiding technique which contains four wires, and to get the most out of the cable I intend to use two wires per channel (two left and two right).

Any ideas?

/Chopha

May 9, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 31
Thanks for the answer.

Is there any difference in sound between using two silver wires (0,4mm) per channel instead of one? If yes, maybe I can do my four-wire braid and then just twist a fifth wire around the braid on the outside and let that one be the ground. What do you think about that?

/Chopha

May 9, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 31
Only way to find out is to try
smily_headphones1.gif

Usually though, it's recommended to use at least the same amount of wire for ground as the SUM of the other channels. So if you're using 2 wires for each of the signals, use 4 wires for ground. Of course, this will probably change the sound a bit and considering how much current actually goes through the IC's, you'll probably be fine with just 1 ground for 4 signals, but why not try and find out.

May 9, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 31
It would sure be one fat interconnect if I use four wires for signal and four wires for ground, and It would be a hell to solder them all in a Ipod connector
biggrin.gif

Actually I don't think such a big cable would work very fine with my portable rig, so I think I’ll go with just one cable for ground.

Why is it recommended to use the same amount of cables for ground as for the signal? It sounds strange (to me) that the ground needs more contact just because the signal can flow through a two times bigger area?

/Chopha

May 9, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 31
Simple: If the left channel carries 10mA of current and the rigth channel carries 10mA of current, the ground will be returning 20mA back to the source. Therefore, it should theoretically be twice as big. Of course, I'm sure that you're using signal and ground wires that handle A LOT more than what is required of them, so the rule can easily be bent to your liking. Sound will probably change on configuration though.

May 9, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 31
A circuit needs to be closed to flow at all. Think of a simple flashlight: battery's positive terminal, wire, lightbulb input, filament, lightbulb output wire, battery's negative terminal. Cut the wire anywhere, and the light goes out; that's what the switch does, or why no current flows when the light burns out. And if you were to test how much current were flowing anywhere in the circuit, you'd find the same amperage in the input wire as in the output wire.

Let's say your interconnect goes between a preamp and an amp. Think of the preamp as the battery and the amp as the lightbulb. You need one wire (positive) to go from the preamp to the amp, but you also need to close the circuit with a wire from the amp back to the preamp. (Some devices will create their own local ground, so only a positive signal is needed; unless you have problems with ground loops or EMI, this isn't necessary.) The input and output wire, again, carry the same amount of current.

An audio circuit, though, is often stereo--two distinct positive channels. But, with minijacks, the ground signal for both channels is carried on a single wire. That single wire still needs to carry the same amount of current as the two positive channels combined. In normal conditions, the line-level signal has such a small current that the ground wire is perfectly fine. But, if something goes wrong--a short somewhere, for instance, and not necessarily in the cable--the circuit could see much higher current levels, and if the positive signal wires are carrying near capacity, the ground wire, carrying twice as much current as the positive wires, will overheat. Overheating is bad: insulation melts, perhaps causing another short, and, in a worst case scenario, shocking someone or starting a fire.

In short, what FallenAngel said.
wink.gif

May 9, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 31
Ok, that makes sense.
Since I’m still learning - in which way will the sound change between the number of ground wires?
(I'm going to use Qables 0,4mm solid silver wire with PE insulation - if that is to any help)

/Chopha

EDIT:
What I'm going to make myself is another Ipod dock to 3,5mm mini plug - so it won't be enough high voltage to hurt anything/anyone.

May 9, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of making myself a new interconnect for my portable rig and I wonder how important it is to solder one of the conductors as ground?
Is it crucial or can I skip that?

Why I ask is because I have taught myself a really good looking braiding technique which contains four wires, and to get the most out of the cable I intend to use two wires per channel (two left and two right).

Any ideas?

/Chopha

Do an 8 wire braid. Then you can use 2 wires for left and 2 wires for right.
wink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 31
But I'm worried that an eight wire braid is going to be to thick to fit in a ipod connector and even a regular 3,5mm plug, and it wouldn't be very flexible as well.

/Chopha

May 10, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 31
it's a compromise--if you want a smaller, more flexible cable, clearly you're going to have to either use smaller wire, less wires, or thinner insulation.

I admit, I'm not much of a cable guy, but if I wanted at thin/flexible cable, I'd forgo the extra ground conductor (at these current/voltage levels, there's really no need at all for that many wires), pick some smaller gauge wire, and be done with it. After all, since you're only making a ipod->3.5mm adapter, theoretically the characteristics of your considerably longer headphone cable should dominate the characteristics of the overall connection from your iPod to your headphone--and chances are, your headphone cable, unless it's also been rewired, is using a considerably cheaper cable configuration.

May 11, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 31
Not to divert your thread (I've learned alot by reading it), but I have a question regarding ground. If i'm putting a resistor between two ground pins on an apple connecter, where does one solder the ground? On the resistor? On both pins? God, im such new bait.

I am interested in seeing yours when it's done, Chopha. I'm curious to how the silver sounds.

May 11, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 31
I will definitely post some pics and write one or two about the sound when I'm done!

/Chopha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back