skip ep-630 and save and wait on er-6i??
Mar 6, 2007 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

n8te81

Head-Fier
i still have my stock earbuds from my mp3 player and i was wanting to upgrade from them because they are not comfy at all and the sound isnt great.I dont need some serious ones because i dont consider myself an IEM audiophile for the fact that i cant tell all these differences between headphones and earbuds that well compared to most everyone on here.I read and heard alot about the ep-630 and of course the cx300...i dont think i would notice that much of a difference to put more money on the cx300 then the ep-630.I was about to get them last night but now i really keep hearing good things about the er6i so i wanted to know if i should wait on the ep630's for about a month so that i will have the money to get the er6i's??? I mainly listen to hip-hop and rock so if the er6i wouldnt fit the music bill then any other suggestions under $75 would be great...thx.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 12
Hip-hop? ER6i don't have much bass, so they may not fit this type of music. EP630's are great for this music. Shure E2 are better than EP630 (E2c's instead highs have midrange, EP630's have highs, but midrange is quite poor).

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 12
Since you're coming off earbuds I'd recommend starting with the EP630's. (or JVC Marshmallows) They're cheap, they sound good and they'll give you a good intro to IEM/canalphones. After using them for awhile you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for in an upgrade. And as a plus, you'll have a nice pair of decent knock-around phones for the times you don't want to use your nicer phones. (I still use my Marshmallows a lot, even though I've added some nicer phones to the mix)

BTW-grab some Koss KSC75's, too. It's kind of a prerequisite for being a Head-Fier. EP630/JVC plus KSC75 will be ~$50 and give you some nice options.

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 12
i keep hearing the marshmallows are very good as well...i just didnt know how good they were with rap and stuff.I kinda feel like i want that tight bass that you can feel a bit in your ears but i wanted something with some really decent highs as well.Would the marshmallows still be a good bet or should i still stick with the ep630's??..also would those koss ksc75 be better then the other 2 or would it be a bit diff since they go around the ear and are open??

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 12
I have both the EP 630's and the ER6i's, and I would suggest you go ahead and start out now with an "initial" upgrade now to the EP630's, Marshmallows, or (if you get a good price and don't mind the non-symmetrical "J" configuration cords, where the right cord is longer than the left) CX300's. As a prior poster said, they will later be a good "knock-around" pair if and as you buy more expensive or more specialized earphones.

I mention "specialized" because as much as I like my ER6i's, I use them primarily on airplanes. Their excellent isolation would work well for you on planes, busses, trains, etc. -- noisy environments like that. However, even with the comfortable, good-sounding and easy to insert/take out short Comply foam eartips, the Ety IEMs can take some getting used to and aren't as easy to use in a day-to-day sense as simpler canal phones such as the three mentioned above ... and the really bright, clear sound signature might not be as pleasing to you, especially at first, as that of various canal phones (they cut through plane noise well, though).

I use EP630's in an office environment where I can't have the degree of isolation that the Ety's provide and where I might need to take them out and put them back in repeatedly. Canal phones will fit securely, unlike earbuds, and almost certainly will sound better than what you have been listening to, if only because the sound will be "directed" into your ears. I've read more positives about the Marshmallows' sound than I have about their fit -- some people don't like their stock tips, but the price is certainly attractive. I can say that the Creatives have the soft, flexible silicone ear tips, which are easy to adjust to after bundled earbuds. Sound is good for the money with with Creatives.

Just about any canal phone, would be a (first) step up for you. Brace your wallet, though!

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 12
Excellent description by LaBreaHead.

To address the KSC75 question, yes, they are very different than the canalphones/IEM's. They leak a lot of sound, both in and out, so they're horrible for situations that require any isolation at all. But in quiet environments such as home or office they're excellent. Search for KSC75 if you want detailed descriptions of the sound, as they're mentioned frequently around here. If fact, I'd be willing to bet that more people around here either own or have heard them than any other phone on the market. Great sound and at $20 or less, they're a slam dunk. Great complement to EP630/Marshmallows.

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 12
ok then well this is all good to know...i think the main reason for looking at these is that i want something with a bit of isolation when im working outside on the weekends like i do.With all the talk about getting fakes and all this other stuff i think im gonna order the ep-630's from the creative site and just go direct.I think a place here has the koss ones so i might go see about getting a pair of those as well this weekend.Thanks for all the help so far.

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 12
^ those are soundcard designed for notebook (can be used w/ PC too). unless your notebook sound card really suck, there really isn't a reason for you to get that one.

In most cases, the biggest upgrade you can have is first the headphone, than the source, than an amp. If you are going to settle down with EP-630, I think you don't really need anything else. It is only a entry class canalphone and you won't get much out of it even with all the other stuff you add in. I will rather save the money now and enjoy EP-630 as it is, than upgrade to something better in a year or so.

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 12
ok then well i guess i will be getting the ep-630 then....im not an audiophile so i think these will be pretty good for me cause i really dont know how much difference i could actually tell with a more expensive one since i dont know really what to listen for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back