Skiing appreciation thread
Dec 23, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #16 of 20
I have been skiing since I was 4, but sadly, I live in Houston
frown.gif
, I go every year but it is only for a week or so. Tried snowboarding and hated it.

Dec 23, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #17 of 20
Went skiing a good 6 years ago and loved it, and then snow-boarding last year and loved it too.

Can't wait until the next time we get to go. Still working on doing the easiest trails though... That's what happens when you only go for two days every six years....

Incidentally, anyone want to do this?:
http://ataka.speedriding.free.fr/Vid...20%20small.mpg

Dec 23, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 20
Dec 24, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #19 of 20
Yeah skiing! Skiing is probably one of my favorite things to do. I just got back from skiing at Steamboat for five days (actually four at Steamboat and one day trip to Vail). They had more snow than they've ever had in early December in recorded history, so it was pretty awesome (think two feet of powder on the surface, and about four feet of snow under that).

The skiing was great, but unfortunately on the last day I screwed up landing a jump (I thought I was hitting a jump I had scouted, but it was actually a different one so I missed the landing and landed on pretty much flat ground). It wouldn't have been problem on the jump I thought I was jumping (I went about 30 feet and was about 10 feet off the ground), but I went way too far for the one that I actually went off of. I hit my head on my knees when I landed (good thing I wear a helmet) and chipped one of my teeth (which turned out to be really minor) and one of my canine teeth went about halfway through my tongue. I couldn't figure out why my tongue hurt until I looked in the mirror at the end of the day! It only took about four days to heal though, so it was fine.

I know that's not a bad accident, and I got up and kept skiing after a couple minutes, but if I had not been wearing a helmet I definitely would have at least gotten a concussion and possibly knocked myself out. So wear a helmet if you don't already!

Sorry for the rambling story. Skiing's awesome.

Dec 24, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #20 of 20
Oooof. Getting your tooth shoved halfway through your tongue really doesnt sound too pleasent.
eek.gif

Last time I went snowboarding, I was waiting for the lift and saw a guy completly blow a jump and get his head whipped into the ground with no helmet. Then, to top it all off, another person went off the jump not seeing him there and landed right on top of him
eek.gif
He didnt get up too quick......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back