Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Nov 12, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #977 of 1,671
  I'm probably going to be banned for doing everyone a favor. For some reason when you point out the emperor's nakedness, certain parties get mad.

I too thought you did everyone a favor, possibly saving $300 being spent at least dozens of times (and you probably did we just might not hear about it).  My surprise is the number who saw the tear down and still want to believe.  It was funny the first time, but it continues including someone taking delivery and apparently not ready to simply send it right back in the 30 day window.  Wow. 

And seeing the reaction by mods and such, you thought I was adding "in my opinion" unnecessarily.  If you can't mock this product, then obviously nothing can be mocked.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #978 of 1,671
The thing that amazes me is that audiophiles don't recognize a stock 1/4 inch jack and plug. They look at the pictures and can't figure out what it is. No wonder high end audio is so rife with fraud. A lot of potential victims of fraud can look straight at the guts of the thing and still not see it is snake oil. If it's that easy, you could sell ANYTHING to them with a few trumped up testimonials.

All I can say is that I hope they are better at sorting out legal and medical advice than they are advice on stereos.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #979 of 1,671
The thing that amazes me is that audiophiles don't recognize a stock 1/4 inch jack and plug. They look at the pictures and can't figure out what it is. No wonder high end audio is so rife with fraud. A lot of potential victims of fraud can look straight at the guts of the thing and still not see it is snake oil. If it's that easy, you could sell ANYTHING to them with a few trumped up testimonials.

All I can say is that I hope they are better at sorting out legal and medical advice than they are advice on stereos.

I find it rather sad that at least one poster and a moderator are that obtuse they think this thing may actually do something worthwhile. It's one thing to have no technical expertise, but quite another to continue to pontificate after having the evidence explained. And downright ignorant to label those with more than an ounce of common sense "conspiracy theorist" for not buying in and the same moderator apparently thinks this ignorance is ok.

Strange world were exposing snake oil and fraud is considered non pc.

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #980 of 1,671

TBH I haven't seen a 1/4 inch plug (the female end) myself and am having trouble finding stock images of it... :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #981 of 1,671
TBH I haven't seen a 1/4 inch plug (the female end) myself and am having trouble finding stock images of it...
redface.gif

If you own a radio shack headphone cable extender, it probably has screw off caps on the connectors. You can unscrew the housing and see what's inside. The one I have has a plastic covering around the jack the thickness of paper. The one in the teardown has a solid metal covering around it. But a jack's a jack. I'm sure it's made from stock connector parts and white plastic plumbing pipe.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #982 of 1,671
I find it rather sad that at least one poster and a moderator are that obtuse they think this thing may actually do something worthwhile.

I'm curious if the one poster is the owner of Synergistic Research. I asked him, but I haven't heard back yet.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #983 of 1,671
Probably not, it is a complete waste of time to be on here making subjective impressions of your own products. I never heard of company owners posting their own subjective impressions. Maybe a rep or one with ties to the company.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #984 of 1,671
Back before Sound Science split off as its own group, there was heated debate in the Cables and Tweaks forum over claims made by a cable manufacturer (an advertiser on HeadFi). There was one poster who defended the cable company's claims over and over and over and vigorously denied the validity of scientific DB testing. He went all the way to the wall with it and had a melt down where he resorted to insulting personal attacks, resulting in being banned. A few days later, people discovered that he was a paid representative of the cable company. The ads for that company suddenly disappeared from HeadFi without comment, the thread was deleted and the announcement went out that Sound Science would be created, and would be the only place on HeadFi where DBT would be allowed to be discussed.

Don't assume that companies don't employ shills. They do.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #985 of 1,671
Audiophilia is a religion. They WANT to believe. Might as well let them, you've done your civic duty already, if they want to ignore it thats ok.... just as long as there are enough of us to refute future claims and post a link back to the science every time someone boasts about it.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #987 of 1,671
Audiophilia is a religion. They WANT to believe. Might as well let them, you've done your civic duty already, if they want to ignore it thats ok..

Whenever I get into a discussion like this, I'm not speaking for the benefit of the person I am directly talking with. I am always talking past that person to the legions of lurkers and the folks who google things like "synergistic research hot". They're the ones that can benefit from my beating my head against the wall with people who don't want to understand.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #988 of 1,671
  Okay, which one of you guys is copycatting me at innerfidelity?

You're worth spoofing! Congrats!

Honestly though... I don't care what the reputation of the board is one way or the other. I look at the value and integrity of the information being shared. I think people in the audiophile world are too hung up on finding an audiophile Moses who will lead them by the nose into the promised land. Instead they should be looking at the map and heading in that direction themselves.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #989 of 1,671
I'm curious if the one poster is the owner of Synergistic Research. I asked him, but I haven't heard back yet.

I agree, something seems fishy, he seems to know a lot about release dates and shipping costs to the UK for someone apparently living in New Mexico. You think I give a rats about shipping cost to anyone other than me? The owner or a shill, maybe, but I do know his subjective impressions are ones I can safely ignore.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #990 of 1,671

You're worth spoofing! Congrats!

Honestly though... I don't care what the reputation of the board is one way or the other. I look at the value and integrity of the information being shared. I think people in the audiophile world are too hung up on finding an audiophile Moses who will lead them by the nose into the promised land. Instead they should be looking at the map and heading in that direction themselves.

Agreed - if only the map wasn't made by a three year old we could get there faster :D

Either way I've mostly found my ideals in this heathen technology called Ambiophonics outside headphone land so I haven't participated in headphone discussions much recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back