ska anyone?
Jan 14, 2005 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jerb

Headphoneus Supremus
after browsing for a while i wonder "how come no one likes ska any more"?

im thinking of my favorite bands and i never realized how much ska i listen to:
reel big fish
forces of evil
less than jake (older stuff)
aquabats
i voted for kudos
the toasters
spring heeled jack

any one else listen to ska? if so post your favorite bands whether or not theyve been mentioned or not
580smile.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 18
Who don't like some good ska on a lazy Saturday afternoon to get your weekend groove on track? Wish it was a lazy Saturday afternoon already. I like all the older 2 Tone era (early 80s) bands like the Specials and Madness the Beat and the rest. Picked up the Bob Marley Freedom Songs box a couple years ago and was knocked out by how good his 60s ska output was. But lately I've been listening a lot to The Question by the Slackers, one of my favorites from the last few years. What a fine, fine CD. 1998 was the year and it's filled out with 19 solid songs, not really a skipper in the bunch. And if you listen to many ska or reggae collections, you know that is not usually the case. These guys are the best traditional ska band out there. The Slackers do sound an awful lot like the English Beat (or just the Beat for our UK friends) in many ways. Not like a copy, but just in style and substance. Very nice music for an afternoon listening with some friends and a coupla beers. So I decided to type in "slackers english beat" in the Google toolbar to see what would pop up, and this cute little review thingie from Ink Blot came up. Thought you might enjoy it because it's pretty much right on the groove about what I was just saying about the Slackers...

http://www.inkblotmagazine.com/COC_VII.htm

Jan 15, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 18
Sublime was terrible live, though. They always played drunk...This is coming from a So Cal dude; I should know.

Best Live Ska Band: Operation Ivy.

Best Ska bands, imo:

Operation Ivy
Millencolin
Sublime

Of the ones I can name off the top of my head...

There is very little GREAT ska.

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 18
personally, i go for the real old-school ska...

skatalites... accept no substitute. their influence can't be understated.

as for white boy ska (ska-punk and whathaveyou)...

the specials did it up right.

Jan 24, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 18
The Specials first and second records were great. Also, The English Beat is another fantastic two-tone early '80's first-ska-revival band, though they had a lot of pop influences as well. Madness never did it for me, though, a few good songs, but over-rated for me.

Never could get into the Skatellites either, the real deal 1st-wave-Jamaican ska band, the recordings are just way too poor to sit through!
frown.gif

(Oh, and No Doubt with their ska influences is another guilty pleasure, but don't tell anyone... Shhhhhhh...
orphsmile.gif
)

Jan 24, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Never could get into the Skatellites either, the real deal 1st-wave-Jamaican ska band, the recordings are just way too poor to sit through!
frown.gif

i definitely can't listen to skatalites with my etys... crackle hiss, ank-a-chank, crackle hiss, ank-a-chank.
blink.gif

but they groove so nice.

Jan 24, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 18
ehh they get mentioned alot with the punk ska gen

you all listen to first wave ska! no one rocks out to the third wave punk-ska stuff!?

Btw go to some ska concerts and you will see sublime shirts everywhere
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 18
I liked ska,(not sure what "wave", it was the late 90s) because I was sick to death of "alternative" at the time(matchbox 20, third eye blind, *shudder*) The problem I had with it is that it helped birth the whole swing dance era.

I have come to the conclusion that mainstream music can not be trusted with brass instruments.

Feb 4, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 18
Mustard Plug has got to be close to the top as far as third wave ska goes. Real Big Fish are probably my favorite. I'll agree Sublime has the best cd's but were pretty unlistenable live. The Long Beach Dub All Stars features the band from Sublime (I think) after Bradly's untimely passing and are ok, no Sublime but they're alright. Less than Jake is more punk/ska but is still pretty good. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones have a descent album or two. Buck-O-Nine, I like Songs from the Key of Bree. Some ska bands more in the Christian area are The Supertones and Five Iron Frenzy, both are really good. Supertones more skaish and Five Iron Frenzy are just funny. There, that's my ska input!!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back