Size of the iM716?
May 15, 2006 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Squibbles

100+ Head-Fier
I'm so tempted to get these, but looking at pictures, the iM716 look massive! Like they would stick out like sticks or something! How big are these? Are they pretty well hidden when worn? How big are they when compared to the Etymotic ER6, etc.

Thanks.

May 15, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 15
I had the same perception as one who relishes the thin cables and small size of Er-6i's. Furthermore, has anyone experimented in ridding themselves of the im716's of that in-line switchbox? Truly, the im716's are very tempting, except for the perceived larger size and bass-switch-box........just as I'd found ways for my er-6i's to be more compatible with me...........and another scary point I've seen mentioned here - statements that im716's do not possess the sense of clarity synonymous with the Etymotics name. That clarity (and detail) is what attracts me to Ety's as it draws me to ES2's.

May 15, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 15
oops......intended an immediate edit instead of another post

May 15, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 15
Here is a picture from another thread where AlfrredSR loops the wire over his ear (like UE or Shures). This is not the way most people wear them, but you can see the size when inserted.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=im716

Actually, they are VERY simialr in size to their purported parental units, the ER4s. See if you can find a photo of someone wearing those properly (when worn properly the wires hang straight down, NOT out).

Here is a pic by kwkarth of the his iM716s next to his ER4s:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=im716

They do not stick out like the UE SFs, and for you fashionistas, when worn properly they would appear to someone else similar to the regular Apple earbuds, until they take a closer look.

When properly inserted the body of the unit is angled up into your ear canal, not straight out. So, no, they don't look like you have carrots sticking out of your ears.

May 16, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 15
These things really are huge. I would look at something smaller...
etysmile.gif

im716huge9yc.jpg

Seriously, I don't think size would be a problem here.

May 17, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234
I Just hope I'll be albe to sleep in them. Woder how much they stick out, when 'm lying on the bed.

Don't be too sure of that... they're not like the ety-6 that bury themself in your ear. These are small enough to look normal when you wear them, but not like the tiny ety-6 which are tiny and can disappear in your ear!
etysmile.gif

May 18, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 15
I received my iM716 yesterday. I agree that it is about the size of the E4. It is a lot bigger than the ER4. In my particular case this size difference turns out to mean that I can't position it to get a good seal with tri-flanges, whereas with the ER4 I am strictly a tri-flange guy.

I don't find that it sticks out much, though. Appearance-wise, I think its size adds only about 10-20% more embarrassment to the inherent embarrassment of the bright-white iPod look
evil_smiley.gif

Bulk-wise, though, I would not find it comfortable to sleep with these pressed into my head by a pillow. (The only units I've found comfortable in that regard are Sony EX70s. If ER6s are small enough to permit that as well then hmm, maybe I need some.)

May 19, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #15 of 15
The ER6 or 6i are great for sleeping... they're tiny, even with large bi-flanges... the small ones work even better, but unless you have tiny ears they'll get stuck and you'll wake yourself up trying to get those poor things out!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back