Size of music library
Feb 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #77 of 123
I have around 2000 songs in digital from various places. As for physical music whihc I prefer, I have around 12 CDs and 30 records, with much more of both on the way. I have really been enjoying music of late, not gear. low-fi and weirdsounding-fi can be very fun.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #79 of 123

Quote:
6282 music files, 130GB in size. Around 5000 of those are lossless. Only have about 7 CD's left but have just discovered vinyl, so we'll see where that leads me.

Frankly, vinyl sounds like real music to me. I would rather have 20 good records than thousands of files or hundreds of CDs. Having said that, I own around 50 CDs and have more than 1200 files, while only possessing about fifty records because I only recently got a turntable.

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #80 of 123
I just added something like eight LP's to my collection. Old, scratched up, children's music, but it is a good test of my cart and stylus. Not bad, actually, but I still need a new one. 

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #81 of 123
Approx 220 CDs (~3000 tracks) all ripped to FLAC and ALAC - currently about 90Gb.

What I tend to do is follow the recommendations of others - especially in the 'fav CD'/'what are you listening to' threads - and then search on youtube for the artist if I don't know them.  If I like the music - I download the album.  If it's a keeper, I buy the CD, and rip it properly.  If it's not I delete it.

The funny thing is that when I saw the "sorry for your wallet" catch phrase, I wrongly assumed it pertained just to the equipment.  I now know different, as I've spent as much on music in the last 3 months as on my new purchases.  But definitely no regrets :)

The nice thing about following the music threads here is that I've found members who have very similar tastes, and have found a new love of jazz/soul/acoustics that I didn't know I had.  Now I always look out for their posts - as the majority of the time it introduces me to artists I would never know about.

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #83 of 123

Quote:
Frankly, vinyl sounds like real music to me. I would rather have 20 good records than thousands of files or hundreds of CDs. Having said that, I own around 50 CDs and have more than 1200 files, while only possessing about fifty records because I only recently got a turntable.

I agree with this. I want to only purchase my favourite albums on vinyl, but after hearing my first record a few months ago, I can see how vinyl addiction occur.

The sound is just so...I guess you know what I mean.

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #84 of 123
If you have a halfway decent sound capture card you can capture the record, burn a CD and have the exact same sound.

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #85 of 123

Quote:
If you have a halfway decent sound capture card you can capture the record, burn a CD and have the exact same sound.

Not the exact sound but close I am sure. I do not have a good soundcard at all, but I will get to that in the future and have some good 24/96 digitized vinyl. Nothing wrong with that, it is just not the same as taking out the record, enjoying the album art, putting the needle on the record, and flipping it over. One is convenient, the other is fun.

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #86 of 123
Not really on topic but I realized that I have around 20 TB's of blu-ray movies.  If you count 50 GB per disc x around 400 discs.  Of course the whole disc is not only movie and some discs are only 25 GB in size.

I have around 50 Vinyl albums and 50 CD's (only buy the cd when Vinyl is not available).  I only started getting into music the last couple of years since I started drumming.   I've been a hardcore videophile for years though.

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #87 of 123
Not the exact sound but close I am sure. I do not have a good soundcard at all, but I will get to that in the future and have some good 24/96 digitized vinyl.

A decent CD rip of a good LP is indistinguishable from the original. I've done the test with my best Sheffield Lab direct to disk LPs.

You don't need 24/96 either. Standard rebook is plenty. The main difference in high biitrate sound is resolution in low volume situations. Most LPs rarely exceed a dynamic range of 35 dB. Anything outside the dynamics or frequency response of a CD is most likely noise.

The difference between the sound quality between formats has nothing to do with technical specs. LPs are generally mastered better. That's the difference.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #88 of 123
Wow I thought that I had a decent amount of music untill I checked this thread 
eek.gif
 100 000 albums? lol.

I have a total of 3 500 songs aproximately 
frown.gif
. Maybe the fact that i am 16 serves a bit as an excuse...

BTW, What is this 
deadhorse.gif
???? XD

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #89 of 123
beating a dead horse? haha who knows. I had a much larger music library when I was 16 but now I'm only 18 haha. Also I download more music than the standard person

Users who are viewing this thread

Back