Sixth Head-Fi Sydney Meet: Sunday 26th October
Oct 20, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #526 of 643
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do know I was being facetious with you don't you? with the perve crack.

I was pretty sure you were
tongue.gif
but I thought I'd also do a more serious reply since it touches on one of my big hobbies.

Quote:

great snaps though man i'm impressed I never have the patience for wildlife photography.

Thanks - I try, but I'm not that good at it yet, and I've done very little in the last couple of years whilst I've been ill. On the other hand, photography has the superb attribute that you get to censor your crap and only show off the best, even if you got a bit lucky
icon10.gif

At summer camps I used to shoot film at around 200-300mm focal length (without image stabilisation in those days) from inside a speedboat that was dragging kids around on an inflatable banana and taking them over the waves the boat had created in order to see if they could stay on or would fly off. Lot of fun, and some great photos (once you threw the duds away).

If I get a chance and people are interested I'll dig up a couple of better bird shots when I get home and put web-size versions up. The 400mm lense is very sharp and if you can get close enough and your technique is good you can get some very detailed images.
Quote:

...and these guys think audio is expensive; good glass OMG
eek.gif

I hear you. Maybe one of these days I'll get a real wildlife lense
icon10.gif
But I'd probably be fairly keen if Canon came out with a 500mm f5.6L IS at around USD$3000 (although not so much at the current exchange rate...)

Quote:

I went up to an abandoned water-tower in brisbane thinking I was being real clever by using my local knowledge; well I got up there and it was so packed with hours to go till the eclipse.

My local knowledge consisted of driving a kilometre up the road to the edge of the river where I was the only person on a stretch of about 400m for most of the night - but you've got to work with what you've got!

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #527 of 643
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismohks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice pics mazz!

what gear do u have?

Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

I have an EOS 30D and before that I had an EOS 300D as my first digital SLR. It was limited in its AF and motion tracking capabilities and had lower resolution, but other than that it still produced pretty good photos.

I have a few lenses, but for most wildlife it's the Canon 400mm f5.6L (possibly with an aftermarket 1.4x teleconverter with one pair of the pins taped up so that the camera won't see it and thus will still try to auto-focus). Sometimes I also use the Canon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 IS which is useful for the image stabilization in low light when not using a tripod.

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #532 of 643
did you guys get my PM just sent you my mobile number and requested yours. i'll be flying in at 9.30am then going to the hotel, doing a little browsing, getting caffeine and then i'll prob come and give a hand just after lunch. I can also receive email on my phone so any formal info you can send me on email but will need some contact details from you in case there's an issue or i'm running late/lost etc. etc.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #535 of 643
is anybody going to have an interface connected to a computer so I can put some 24bit/96k/hz wavs on mine for reference. I have a copuple oftracks that i've been working on and i've heard them 100's of times in the process so should be a good test.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #536 of 643
I should be able to help with the setup as well. Let me know if you need a lift ZephyrSapphire. I assume you're living around UNSW area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back