SIVGA SV021 — Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 2, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #166 of 278
Glad you're enjoying them. I think you'll like them even more with the new balanced cable w/ the Hiby R6 Pro. I find with my Shanling M6 Pro 21 which also has 750mW out of its balanced outputs (in Turbo mode), that I get a bit more detail/definition out of the headphones, even though they are easy to drive. Just make sure to turn down the volume initially when you try your balanced cable connection for the first time.
Too late... I used the balanced cable with volume the same as using the stock headphone cable. Good lord... it's LOUD via balanced.

I think I have the perfect set-up. Everything is just perfect. The HiBy is amazing and the SV201's are stunning. They give the perfect balance of bright and spacious with taught and tight bass. Pretty much everything I've listened to sounds sublime.

The Ablet balanced cable from Amazon UK is lovely. Great build quality with lovely tight fittings. Certainly an improvement in audio quality... slightly more spacious... and hardly any microphonic effect.

I'm really grateful for the help people on here have given. I'm really happy with the blend of equipment and the sum seems to be greater than the parts.

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #167 of 278
I also bought those Sivgas. At first I wanted to return them, because the bass was too much and it sounded muddy. Then I tried a AutoEQ profile and they sound a lot better and more neutral. It's a shame the earcups can't move in all directions, but at least the earcushion is big enough to close my ears.

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #168 of 278
These things are fantastic. Yes, absolutely a V shape to the sound which makes it lack midrange body. Strongly elevated bass but also clear and defined treble that reveals a whole lot of detail. The crazy part about this is that these remind me strongly of the TH900 that I once owned. Similar signatures and this makes me feel like I have a mini TH900 on deck at 1/8th the price. The TH900 had highs that bothered me more, so these are a real winner in my eyes.

Absolutely recommended for those who like an exciting headphone with a strong low end and crisp highs. They really kick hard in the bass, and not to mention the pads are incredibly comfortable and the headphone itself is light. Really fun to listen to and due to the V presentation, they work very well with movies and video games too.

I recently picked up a pair of Sony Z7's with the 70 MM drivers and they are known for their low end. I'm very interested to see how it compares with the 021 given it's very impressive low end. 70 MM is about as big as drivers get so expectations are high.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #170 of 278
These things are fantastic. Yes, absolutely a V shape to the sound which makes it lack midrange body. Strongly elevated bass but also clear and defined treble that reveals a whole lot of detail. The crazy part about this is that these remind me strongly of the TH900 that I once owned. Similar signatures and this makes me feel like I have a mini TH900 on deck at 1/8th the price. The TH900 had highs that bothered me more, so these are a real winner in my eyes.

Absolutely recommended for those who like an exciting headphone with a strong low end and crisp highs. They really kick hard in the bass, and not to mention the pads are incredibly comfortable and the headphone itself is light. Really fun to listen to and due to the V presentation, they work very well with movies and video games too.

I recently picked up a pair of Sony Z7's with the 70 MM drivers and they are known for their low end. I'm very interested to see how it compares with the 021 given it's very impressive low end. 70 MM is about as big as drivers get so expectations are high.
Interested to hear your comparison to Z7.

I find that I grab my SIVGAs more often than not, especially when listening at low volume. I find that paired up with my Shanling DAP putting out 3/4W, they have a visceral, filled-in sound that really brings a dramatic component to a listening session. Kind of like listening to an LP through a set of old JBLs. Well recorded acoustic, for example Ralph Towner's record Anthem on ECM, are really served well by this device paring.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #171 of 278
Interested to hear your comparison to Z7.

I find that I grab my SIVGAs more often than not, especially when listening at low volume. I find that paired up with my Shanling DAP putting out 3/4W, they have a visceral, filled-in sound that really brings a dramatic component to a listening session. Kind of like listening to an LP through a set of old JBLs. Well recorded acoustic, for example Ralph Towner's record Anthem on ECM, are really served well by this device paring.
Skip Z7, comfortable but sound average and bloated. Nothing special with them. Sivga is much better at half the cost.

Well yah, if you likes a lotta bass, they deliver plenty of it....
They do indeed, but it is quality as well. It's not just a bass fart cannon like many lower end consumer headphones - the treble is articulate and detailed and the overall signature is a V well done IMO. Soundstage is very excellent for a closed back as well.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #172 of 278
Skip Z7, comfortable but sound average and bloated. Nothing special with them. Sivga is much better at half the cost.
I wouldn't agree. I like the Sivga a lot and in some aspects it performs better than the Z7, like a better controlled bass, a fuller low mid-range and a better transition from bas, low mids to mids. But I think the Z7 has more depth, better resolution and layering in its sound, the Sivga sounds rather flat in comparison. Both have issues with their treble though. With some recordings the Sivga sounds smoother, less edgy and vice versa. The Z7 sounds horrible when I have played the Sivgas for a while. There is this huge contrast between the warmth and the dark tilt Z7's big meaty bass brings and the brightness in the low treble. At first it sound really disjointed, but after a while I get immersed in its sound. Just like the NightBirds, you have to give the Z7 some time. The Sivga sounds horrible after listening to the Z7s for a while, but it takes me less time to get used to its sound. In the end though I do get more musical pleasure out of the Z7 than the Sivga.

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #173 of 278
I'm glad you enjoy Z7, but I can relate to what you said about the contrast between the two and the sig of the Z7 just isn't my personal taste. YMMV.

I have other headphones in my collection that I enjoy way more than Z7, so I personally don't see a reason for them in my own lineup.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #174 of 278
I don't really jump on the new FOTM but I needed another closed headphone. I've got my work horse Dt770s, I personally feel no need to go higher up the chain price wise because IMO (Ears) you don't get much better. Law of returns for me.
But I wanted another cheap closed set. I've tried most of all the other under $200 cans and they just don't tick the boxes for me.
So for around $100, why not? (Had a few gift cards) I think the Sivga run around $150.
Anyway, They look and feel much better then the asking price, Some of the best comfort too, nice and light with hardly any clamp at all.
Sound wise to me, a slight V but it's really not bad. I like V personally. I'm not hearing and wild spikes like a few people mentioned.
Even Beyers are not crazy spiked as most people claim. At least to me. The Sivga's IMO are actual a tad warmer then the Beyers.
So in short a great buy. Remember feed your cans good quality music and you'll be good. A crappy Mp3 coming off an overly compressed 2000 recording will be ass on anything. Gentle Giant-Octopus (German Line CD), via Asgard 3 sounds fantastic in the Sivgas :)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #176 of 278
Can anyone with a big head/ears comment on the fitment of this headphone?

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #177 of 278
Can anyone with a big head/ears comment on the fitment of this headphone?
I have a pretty big head, average ears, and it fits fine with lots of spare headband and my ears seem to clear the inside space of the pads. If you have large ears it may be an issue, however, the softness of the pads I would think would help in regard of it not being irritating even if they touched a little bit. The clamp is very light as are the headphones themselves, and the super soft earpads add to the lack of any clamp issues. I can usually almost forget it's on my head.

My only caveat is the headband pad has pretty minimal padding and can get slightly uncomfortable on the top of my head with extended listening. But this you can deal with with an extra pad attached like the Sennheiser HD650 OEM headband pad I sometimes use.

Here's a review with pad measurements (about half-way down) that may help:

https://thepcenthusiast.com/sivga-robin-sv021-headphone-review/

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #178 of 278
Thanks!

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #179 of 278
No problem. Just wanted to mention the ear pad measurements:

My original cream colored SIVGA-021s (bought Sep 2021) have pads that have inner ear measurements about 50mm width and 65mm height. This is doing my best to get a measurement from the inside of the pad, side to side, top to bottom. This is different from those on his Amazon link for the OEP pads and closer to the SEP pads. Obviously YMMV on the pad size with a given set but if you bought one and ended up with the smaller ones and it was an issue you could always get the larger pads from Amazon for a pretty reasonable price. The pad ring and plastic clips are sturdy and it's not a problem (although they're on quite firmly) removing or attaching.

Also, the vents: If I look into them with a flashlight I can see that they don't open up right into the can as there is some sort of thin black paper material that covers the inside. I guess this is their version of venting for this can. It certainly has very decent noise isolation but a surprisingly good soundstage. BTW, that review is one of the best, well-balanced I've read on these cans.

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #180 of 278
Currently my SV021 easily take much more time than the PS2KE. They are just as wrong! In fact, I think that is exactly why you can understand how I like them so much. Play them with a good source for starters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back