SIVGA SV021 — Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 21, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #211 of 278
do you have a small photo with and without papers
I don't have any snap with those papers on but i just took few photos without that black paper. Hope these help.
20220522_041452.jpg
20220522_041509.jpg
20220522_041440.jpg

May 22, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #213 of 278
Here are some pics I just took of the housing and tape baffle. It's just showing the tape in-place after I reversed the removal mod. I'd rather not risk removing and reattaching the tape again but you can get a good idea of what's in there and what to do.

To remove the tape I just stuck a finger nail under the far end and got a bit of it up. I then used tweezers to solidly grab that end and very gently pulled it up. To reverse just line up the tape in the same spot and get it into place, making sure you're matching the two slightly thinner tape areas with the two port holes. It's pretty straightforward. But, again, in my case, I found the bass too overwhelming to the overall sound signature with the tapes removed and when I re-installed them it sounded right to me again.

The tools pic has a similar clear plastic piece that you can use to attach the tapes to while you evaluate the mod. The newer and cleaner the plastic, better, to help retain the adhesive on the tapes and you want to just lightly adhere them, just enough for full contact to keep its stickiness if you reverse later.

Attachments

• 1 tape.jpg
    1 tape.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 2 driver.jpg
    2 driver.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 3 tools.jpg
    3 tools.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 0
May 22, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #216 of 278
what I don't understand, is why having made 2 holes to block them with paper!
Probably whoever engineered the headphone design must have done a frequency response evaluation/experiment and decided that having two attenuated (with the tape) ports of that size in that position gave them the sound signature they wanted. But, of course, YMMV and it's fun to play around and see what works best for you!

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #217 of 278
Probably whoever engineered the headphone design must have done a frequency response evaluation/experiment and decided that having two attenuated (with the tape) ports of that size in that position gave them the sound signature they wanted. But, of course, YMMV and it's fun to play around and see what works best for you!

That’s my take too. There’s a method to the filter placement. I really love the profile of the SV021, so for now I’m inclined to leave them stock. But it’s interesting to know that they can be modded. I’ll store that for future potential reference.

May 30, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #222 of 278
Hi.Condidering getting these,but concerned at some comments I have seen about the treble.
I have issues with sibilance so would this rule these out for me?
I have to spoil the party a bit. Yes, I do find them sibilant, but I don't mind sibilance when it is not the aggressive type. They definitely accentuate sssss's at times in speech and vocals. Kinda similar to the Denon D5000s and Fidelio X3s, but they are nowhere near as fatiguing as the D5000s in this regard. The ssss's are not that hard edged.

May 31, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #223 of 278
I have to spoil the party a bit. Yes, I do find them sibilant, but I don't mind sibilance when it is not the aggressive type. They definitely accentuate sssss's at times in speech and vocals. Kinda similar to the Denon D5000s and Fidelio X3s, but they are nowhere near as fatiguing as the D5000s in this regard. The ssss's are not that hard edged.
Hi.I know you have the sony mdr-z7. I had it for about a year and just wondered if you could compare the Sony treble to the sivga.

May 31, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #224 of 278
The treble peaks of both headphones are in a different frequency range. The Sony is less peaky, the Sivgas have quite severe peaks. It is dependent on the recording which headphone gets more sibilant. Generally the Sivga is more sibilant and edgy. But not much.

May 31, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #225 of 278
The treble peaks of both headphones are in a different frequency range. The Sony is less peaky, the Sivgas have quite severe peaks. It is dependent on the recording which headphone gets more sibilant. Generally the Sivga is more sibilant and edgy. But not much.
Thanks,that helps alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back