SIVGA PHOENIX OPEN BACK WOOD DYNAMIC
Oct 14, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #121 of 185
Our sound rating is based upon the SQ in specific price range, maybe that's why :)

If that's the case, then that also doesn't make sense, as you already have a rating category called "Price", which would seem to indicate a value rating. Which seems rather redundant if you already grade sound against other if the price category.

Either remove the Price category or rate Sound Quality on a constant scale. Your current system is very confusing.

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #122 of 185
Either remove the Price category or rate Sound Quality on a constant scale. Your current system is very confusing.
I think constant scale would be quite tricky. IMO it's clearer if it's done based on price range.

I think seperate value/price category is not a bad thing. I think most reviewers think the value is combination of sound, accessories, build etc. Infact it might make sense to replace the value with total score?
It's definitely the only review I've seen that says the Phoenix is light on bass
I think I can explain this. Bass on Phoenix is neutral relative to low midrange. Here is a measurements I made. So the bass does not bump up from low mids which might explain why the reviewer felt it was light(ish) on bass. Sivgas have this downwards sloping midrange. This will make the sound thick and bassy (relative to upper midrange). Other headphone on the graph is Beyerdynamic DT880 (2003 version).
Sivga vs Beyer.jpg
Compared to Beyrs sivgas will sound alot bassier if listener adjusts the listening volume based on 1khz region for example. Some people crank up the volume untill bass is sufficient, others will adjust it according to how much treble they want and so on. When we re-align the graps so that they intersect at 1khz this happens.
Sivga Beyer 2.jpg

I think Phoenix is a decent headphone. Tuning is bit weird, sound is bit congested and bass bleeds into the midrange. Soundstage is small. I sold mine.

@rev92 I think it's great that you came here asking what people think of the review. Many more renowned reviewiers should do that too every now and then. I suggest you should invest in a minidsp ears measuring system. It's not a professional tool but does well enough job for basic measurements. It's is about 200€. Just doing measurements would set you apart from the competition, not enough people do that.

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #123 of 185
I think constant scale would be quite tricky. IMO it's clearer if it's done based on price range.

I think seperate value/price category is not a bad thing. I think most reviewers think the value is combination of sound, accessories, build etc. Infact it might make sense to replace the value with total score?

I think I can explain this. Bass on Phoenix is neutral relative to low midrange. Here is a measurements I made. So the bass does not bump up from low mids which might explain why the reviewer felt it was light(ish) on bass. Sivgas have this downwards sloping midrange. This will make the sound thick and bassy (relative to upper midrange). Other headphone on the graph is Beyerdynamic DT880 (2003 version).
Sivga vs Beyer.jpg
Compared to Beyrs sivgas will sound alot bassier if listener adjusts the listening volume based on 1khz region for example. Some people crank up the volume untill bass is sufficient, others will adjust it according to how much treble they want and so on. When we re-align the graps so that they intersect at 1khz this happens.
Sivga Beyer 2.jpg

I think Phoenix is a decent headphone. Tuning is bit weird, sound is bit congested and bass bleeds into the midrange. Soundstage is small. I sold mine.

@rev92 I think it's great that you came here asking what people think of the review. Many more renowned reviewiers should do that too every now and then. I suggest you should invest in a minidsp ears measuring system. It's not a professional tool but does well enough job for basic measurements. It's is about 200€. Just doing measurements would set you apart from the competition, not enough people do that.
Yea, you might be right about all of that.

Hmm, need to look into this minidsp thing.

Thank you so much for your constructive and honest opinion, i always appreciate it 🖤

Oct 17, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #124 of 185
I ended up getting the Fostex t60RP, which I think are UGLY AF, despite the woodiness, (the SIVGA's win the beauty contest by a long shot), but I think the t60s have more upgrade potential.

Oct 24, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #125 of 185
I ended up getting the Fostex t60RP, which I think are UGLY AF, despite the woodiness, (the SIVGA's win the beauty contest by a long shot), but I think the t60s have more upgrade potential.
It's funny you say that, as I think the T60RP are one of the sexiest headphones out there; I almost bought them on looks alone. If the subbass was a bit better I would have. Any mods that help that a lot?

Anywho, I ended up finally ordering the Phoenix last night. I was waiting for an earpad update but I guess I'll just hope they'll retrofit. I plan to compare them to the HD-560s whenever I can get my hands on some, and possibly the Avantone Planars as well. I'll only be keeping one.

They should all be upgrades from my decade+ old HD-598, and I have some KZ ZS10 Pro to compare them to as well. If I can find something that sounds nearly as good as my Chane A1.5 speakers and SVS subwoofer combo, I'll be very happy.

Oct 26, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #126 of 185
Phoenix arrived earlier, clamp was ridiculous, but I stretched them and they feel okay. Earpads suck as expected, but my biggest problem with them is the bass is seal dependent, and my glasses break the seal.

Even with my glasses off though, i wasn't really wowed with the bass like I thought I'd be (coming from HD-598). The mids seem a bit grainy, the soundstage is a sizable downgreade, and the presentation in general seems a bit congested.

I don't think these will be around long, but I'm gonna burn them in for the next 48 hours, and I'll revisit them. I may as well keep them around long enough to compare to the HD-560S i also just ordered.

Nov 5, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #128 of 185
Nov 5, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #129 of 185
@shortstack31489 @FireLion @McArooni @maufreg @FeedYourHead @KCXT @Roderick and anybody else who has been waiting for the new pads.

Sivga has officially released a new version - it is thicker, but it is of different material. It doesn't have the waxed-like cloth material on the face, it is rather perforated pleather all round.

They are pretty affordable (15 bucks), and they can be found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/SIVGA-Phoenix-Replacement-Protein-Leather/dp/B08LD85VV4
510XR1XU7OL._AC_SX679_.jpg
These appear to be slightly thicker but still not much. Has anyone tried any dekoni, brainwavz, or zmf on these? Looking for some increased depth for sure. Also, a larger inside diameter wouldn't be bad either

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #130 of 185
IMO, they should be offering these to any current owners for free, seeing as the standard pad is so poorly designed.

As for me, mine are being returned as soon as I make it to the UPS store. They weren't close to being in the same class as the other cans i tested them against (HD-560S, HD598, KZ ZS10 pro, Sundara).

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #131 of 185
IMO, they should be offering these to any current owners for free, seeing as the standard pad is so poorly designed.

As for me, mine are being returned as soon as I make it to the UPS store. They weren't close to being in the same class as the other cans i tested them against (HD-560S, HD598, KZ ZS10 pro, Sundara).

IMO the Pheonix isn't meant to be a direct competitor with those, at least not in terms of voicing and tonality. The Phoenix offers a bass performance that the others don't (at least to my ear) and that is its strength, but if one is looking for a tonal profile like your other headphones then the Phoenix does indeed fall short.

Nov 6, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #132 of 185
@shortstack31489 @FireLion @McArooni @maufreg @FeedYourHead @KCXT @Roderick and anybody else who has been waiting for the new pads.

Sivga has officially released a new version - it is thicker, but it is of different material. It doesn't have the waxed-like cloth material on the face, it is rather perforated pleather all round.

They are pretty affordable (15 bucks), and they can be found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/SIVGA-Phoenix-Replacement-Protein-Leather/dp/B08LD85VV4
510XR1XU7OL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Weird. Looks an awful lot like the pads on the new Airmotiv GR1 😉

Nov 6, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #133 of 185
Weird. Looks an awful lot like the pads on the new Airmotiv GR1 😉
I am almost 100% sure that the new GR1 comes out the same factory as Sendy Audio, Blon, and Sivga stuff - Sivga mentioned releasing a new headphone at the end of the previous month... then Emotiva releases the GR1 which has the same case, same grill cover as P-II, Blon B20 and Sendy Audio Aiva, same wood earcups... hmm, why has nobody mentioned this yet?

Tbh I believe that Sivga is the large manufacturer who builds all these models for other companies

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #134 of 185
I am almost 100% sure that the new GR1 comes out the same factory as Sendy Audio, Blon, and Sivga stuff - Sivga mentioned releasing a new headphone at the end of the previous month... then Emotiva releases the GR1 which has the same case, same grill cover as P-II, Blon B20 and Sendy Audio Aiva, same wood earcups... hmm, why has nobody mentioned this yet?

Tbh I believe that Sivga is the large manufacturer who builds all these models for other companies
Yeah, the members commenting on the GR1 thread seem pretty convinced.

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #135 of 185
It seems likely gr1 is indeed made by sivga but the new Phoenix pads are not identical to gr1 pads. Gr1 pads are perforated on top only (and maybe on the inside) but phoenix pads are perforated on the side too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back