SIVGA PHOENIX OPEN BACK WOOD DYNAMIC
Aug 5, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #61 of 185
I've only used the "fun" term because it's frequently/commonly used in more V ou U shaped headphones among the community. For me it's not a detriment, just another way of meaning for the sound produced. Portuguese it's my first language and we do not use the translation of "fun" directly - bassy, V-shaped, energetic, 'punchy bass' could relate so much more.
Anyways... I'm really itchy to receive mine this week - even if I don't find it my cup of tea for the sound, I believe it's one of the prettiest looking under US$500 and I'll wait until the newer pads are launched at least. I want really want to like these cups :wink:

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #62 of 185
I just see the term often being thrown around in reviews, and I cannot imagine being a serious buyer and being attracted to buying a "fun" headphone...
The problem is that there is no official definition, so you don't really know how to interpret the term. However, I do know I did read that somebody saw "fun" as in though a headphone that is fun to listen for a short period of time (unbearable to listen for longer sessions and long-term).

I just see the term being more negative than positive, it's almost degrading to the product.
Like I do and for me don't make much sense either. I enjoy every headphone that I have in different aspects - There're ones to lay back and hear my favorite old songs. Another to hear and discover that detail that I've never heard. Every experience with them it's fun, rediscovering my Library or something new - that's what I love about this hobby

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #63 of 185
I've only used the "fun" term because it's frequently/commonly used in more V ou U shaped headphones among the community. For me it's not a detriment, just another way of meaning for the sound produced. Portuguese it's my first language and we do not use the translation of "fun" directly - bassy, V-shaped, energetic, 'punchy bass' could relate so much more.
Anyways... I'm really itchy to receive mine this week - even if I don't find it my cup of tea for the sound, I believe it's one of the prettiest looking under US$500 and I'll wait until the newer pads are launched at least. I want really want to like these cups :wink:

As you shape your expectations I personally wouldn't call these headphones V or even U shaped. There is some extra oomph in the bass but the mids are not sacrificed at all to achieve it, and the treble isn't over-accentuated either. It's a very enjoyable tuning.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #64 of 185
As you shape your expectations I personally wouldn't call these headphones V or even U shaped. There is some extra oomph in the bass but the mids are not sacrificed at all to achieve it, and the treble isn't over-accentuated either. It's a very enjoyable tuning.
That's why I said what I said. As I already wrote, people tend to call V-shape sound signature "fun". There is no sacrifice to the mid-range. The treble is clear and has exceptional amount of sparkle. That's what makes these mature not what I would consider "fun". I love them

This is exactly what I was talking about

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #65 of 185
When reading other (few) reviews the opinions were so mixed - and I blind bought these.
Here in Brazil they cost one and a half the monthly minimum wage (currency it's undervalued due the pandemic). So what I was feeling were not expectations but anxiety. But you all assured me that - at least - I've not made a bad choice.
Thank you all and sorry for being bothersome in anyway.
I have been following discussions here in almost 4 years but never interacting until today. I promise to bring more content from now on, the Sivga's being just first one - Thieaudio Legacy 3 and Topping L30/E30 are on the way

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #66 of 185
I was just speaking to the thread as a whole. But, funnily enough, I just re-read my larger review posted elsewhere, not here, and I absolutely *did* refer to them as "fun". :) Hahah. So, there you have it, though I never imagined that being a negative descriptor necessarily. But I can see how it can be interpreted that way ("fun") certainly. Cheers.
I suppose, if I consider it more than I ought to, a V-shape pair is often "fun" sounding to me, but a "fun" sounding set is not necessarily V-shaped... if that makes any sense. There is something to the Phoenix signature that has a sheen to it (I don't often look at the graphs but it could be interesting in this case), some sorts of freq bumps/dips here and there that gives it a noticeable "color", and it's one that sounds "fun" to me.
Whatever - they sound very good. :D

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #67 of 185
When reading other (few) reviews the opinions were so mixed - and I blind bought these.
Here in Brazil they cost one and a half the monthly minimum wage (currency it's undervalued due the pandemic). So what I was feeling were not expectations but anxiety. But you all assured me that - at least - I've not made a bad choice.

You've not made a bad choice whatsoever. If these fit my big old head better, I'd have kept mine. There's little to complain about in terms of their sound.

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #68 of 185
I will be getting my Phoenix today and will see if it fits my head and my sound taste :o2smile:
I already have X2HR to compare with.

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #70 of 185
Did they arrive as expected? If so, what are your initial thoughts?
HI,
Compare with X2HR: not as wide, bit warmer, needs less power, lighter. Overall I'm liking them, they have a nice fun sound. The fit might be a problem for some people cause the headband is not that big.

They are FUN

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #71 of 185
Hey guys
Just receive my Phoenix this afternoon and couldn't be happier. The build is above average for the price - it's sturdy/robust with and smooth finish at the same time being almost cute by it's size (feels kind small both on head or hands). For my head size (a bit under average) it sits perfectly with a linear clamp, just a hair more than my HE-400S with Focus-A pads.
Not enough time to analyze them yet but I can tell that they will stay with me for quite some time. Seems like they a very good complement to my HE400S at some genres when I want more punch in bass or recess in shouty records (metals or high strings - voices they almost resolve at the same volume or proximity). Kind remind me of my currently IEMs, Blon BL03 and Tin T2 Plus - Blon being the Sivga and Tin being the Hifiman.
With more time making a A x B tests I'll return to give my thoughts about it. And thanks to eveyone that deal with my anxiety until get them, much appreciated :)

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #73 of 185
I just finished my review and uploaded it: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/si...ver-headphone.24548/reviews#item-review-24110

I have to say I am very much impressed by this headphone. At $299, it is of great value, much worth the price (IMO). I am already seeing it dropping at 250 USD, so it's worth keeping an eye for discounts if you are tight on money.

The sub-bass rumbles, the mid-bass has tight punch and good body, the mid-range remains clear and isn't sacrificed for the bass performance, the high-range has sparkle and is crisp & clear. What else are you looking for at 300 bucks?

They just need to fix the pads, and it would be a very complete product.

The sound is not spacious, neither is soundstage as wide as on normal open-back headphones, but I enjoyed the more present sound signature. It was definitely not boxy or narrow, it was just more narrow than people are used to. It's something different for sure.

I like these guys so much that people may assume that I am being payed to say all this stuff... I am only pleasantly surprised by the mature performance.

@dazKewl this is how to remove them. Take a credit card, with your thumb, slightly lift the earpads up , then you will see where the tabs are located at. There are 4 tabs I believe, you just need to carefully place the credite card and push each tab out. Make sure not to rip the pads! And you do the same to put them back, just apply force in the opposite direction. The pads are glued to the plastic piece, so I would just avoid the hassle of removing them... unless you intend to make new ones and glue them on.
Sivga is working on new pads. I don't know how long we will wait until they are released

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #74 of 185
These are very good. I have a lot of experience and I’m telling you that these are very good.

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #75 of 185
These are very good. I have a lot of experience and I’m telling you that these are very good.

Just loving these cans, seriously. Anything that I throw at them it's a fresh experience with a grain of a old one. I used to have a subwoofer with my bookshelf speakers awhile back and the Phoenix remind me that setup. So much that I've start to listen to my favourite bands back then - Depeche Mode, Placebo and others that are too underground to worth mention lol
They're a great surprise for me, wasn't expecting this kind of performance of this tiny thing (and that I would like bass with this impact so close to my ears)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back