SIVGA PHOENIX OPEN BACK WOOD DYNAMIC
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #46 of 185
I should have mentioned, that's one of my only true issues about the Phoenix (aside from the fit which can't be helped as it stands) is that they are not very open at all for open-backs. At least 50% I'd say. The Fidelios are much less closed.
If it helps at all, "open-back fun" is specifically what I bought the X2HR for (I've only had them a month) and I love them. Remarkably comfortable, plenty of bass extension, decent impact, very good (not amazing) detail, and very airy and open, and a ridiculous soundstage (sometimes unnaturally so, but never not "fun"). :)
Any chance that you've listened to Klipsch HP-3 ??

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #47 of 185
Thanks so much, I'm trying to decide which one to get. I want open-back with bass (fun sound) but there are not a lot of options.

On a lot of songs the Phoenix is what I was actually hoping the Fidelio to be; bassy and impactful but with present mids and good treble extension. Other times it's a bit of a congested mess in the mids, though still more 'present' than I found the Fidelios to be. Fidelios definitely had a wider soundstage though.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #48 of 185
On a lot of songs the Phoenix is what I was actually hoping the Fidelio to be; bassy and impactful but with present mids and good treble extension. Other times it's a bit of a congested mess in the mids, though still more 'present' than I found the Fidelios to be. Fidelios definitely had a wider soundstage though.

I'd agree with all of that quite a bit actually. For me personally the Fidelio is more consistent and when I want accuracy all-around my K712Pro delivers. Both very open, both very different. I think the only thing I shied from with the Phoenix overall was that it has a signature and stage that is similar to some of my IEMs, with bigger delivery obviously, but similar. Whereas the AKG and Philips do things they can never acccomplish.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #49 of 185
Any chance that you've listened to Klipsch HP-3 ??

I have not, no. I have a personal threshold of what I'm willing to spend, always looking for the sweet spot. I know well that Mercedes are fine machines, but I prefer a Subaru. :)

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #51 of 185
Can anyone tell if that silver ring is made of metal or plastic? Small thing but those look so fine that plastic ring on it would hurt the high quality vibe 😁
I am pretty sure it is - when I touch it it's cold. Sivga has never compromised on the build quality and materials, that's what fascinates me about them.

These guys sound pretty goood! I was expecting a less mature performance, but am actually enjoying them quite a lot. Is the soundstage as wide as some other open-back headphones? No? Does it bother me? Unexpectedly, no. Do they have deep and rumbling sub-bass? Hm.

So the sub-bass. You can feel it rumble in some cases, but in Hans Zimmer’s “Why so Serious?” at mark 3:36 - the sub-bass does rumble, but it might not satisfy the bassheads. It’s at the very moment of writing this comment that I might be realizing that the sub-bass is balanced instead of overemphasized and boosted. What do you all think?

The mid-bass has a very satisfying punch and weight - I am overall very satisfied with the bottom-end performance.

The mids… haven’t formed any formal thoughts about them. I cannot say if they are natural/unnatural, because that requires some analytical listening… and so far I have just been enjoying music. I will say that it doesn’t show any signs of being shouty/tinny or funny sounding.

The higher frequencies are interesting. I would call them warm with the highest top-end rolled off, but I cannot ignore that they had the sparkle in songs like: Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven, Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody, Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pts. 1-5), and some others I haven’t written down. In Travis Scott’s “Stop Trying to Be God” at mark 5:59 (Stevie Wonder’s harmonica hits the peak) it lacked the sparkle and edge it was supposed to have. This being said, it's very hard to conclude whether they are warm or not.

These are my quick impressions of it so far. C’mon people, share yours too - we are curious

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #52 of 185
I wouldn't call these warm by any means, though they do lean slightly towards 'bassy'. With regards to the mids I've never found them shouty but with their stock tuning they do get confused/congested with certain songs such as the fast-moving guitars in Thornley's "Easy Comes" and, while this is an extreme example, even unpleasantness in the chorus of Wheatus's "Teenage Dirtbag". That said, pulling back the mids just a bit in the 500 Hz - 2 kHz region seems to clean it up and make things more resolved and pleasing to my ear. It also takes nicely to treble EQ, with increases of 2-3 DB in the 4-8 kHz region really adds some shimmer and perceptual clarity. Bass takes well to EQ as well though I really don't find it necessary for my taste.

Like I said in an earlier post this headphone fills the type of bass-centirc role that I previously tried the Fidelios out for but found the mids and treble way too far back in the presentation for my taste. I'm sitting here listening to the Phoenix now with fresh ears after spending the last couple of days with new Elegias and my tried-and-true DT1990s... I just find these to be a very easy listen. Smooth and unoffensive with excellent bass presence and a pretty even tonality through the rest of the range.

• Points to Sivga for pulling off this bass performance, particularly in an open-back. Overall bass may not quite reach basshead levels but is deep and full, delivering plenty of quantity and rumble with songs like Kanye's "Love Lockdown" (my personal bass stress-test track), N.E.R.D.'s "Everyone Nose", Ester Dean's "Drop it Low" and Dillon Francis's "Get Low". The bass in Cake's cover of "War Pigs" is well-defined and offers plenty of body but the texture falls a bit behind when the rest of the instruments kick in. Visceral impact in things like the kick drum on songs like In This Moment's "Big Bad Wolf", AFI's "Miss Murder", and Garbage's Stupid Girl" are a step or two below the Elegia and DT 1990s but still no worse than adequate and I think that's just a general trade-off for the better bass extension and quantity at this price-point.

• Vocals sit comfortably in the mix, not forward but a bit recessed at times depending on specific range, and it all scales nicely with higher volume (signal chain noted in my earlier post). Separation/imaging can falter at times with challenging passages, evidenced by Collective Soul's "Where the River Flows" that have very distinct vocal and drum placement and both KMFDM's "Krank" that has some synth tones that move around a lot; these are notably easier to identify with the Elegias and DT 1990s. Interestingly enough the timing and precision of the very fast left-to-right bounces at the start and throughout Pressure 4-5's "Beat the World" is better here than the Elegia, which somehow falls off-time in the first part of the opening.

• Detail levels are above-average to good for non-busy songs (it can't quite pull out the very quiet background hi-hats at the start of Kid Rock's "Forever") but that falls to more 'satisfactory' levels when lots of information is present. In playing with basic EQ you can bring some more out with some bass reduction but IMO reducing bass isn't what this heapdhone is for in general. In

• Shifting gears to classical (of sorts), listening to various recordings from "Beethoven Around the World" nets a more intimate vibe and experience than on the Elegias or DT1990s. It goes back to that smaller soundstage and image; the instruments sound good and it's enjoyable but the ambiance of the space and sense of scale isn't there like with the other 2 headphones. In a totally different genre, recordings of bands like the Stray Cats and Squirrel Nut Zippers lose some of that "all in the same room" recording atmosphere since the soundstage is compressed... sounds like a very small room :) "My Way" from Sinatra also doesn't quite CRANK in that final verse like it does on my other headphones, so if any/all of these senses of space are important to you it will be missed.

Overall I'd say these headphones are priced right and deliver a very enjoyable experience in a complete sonic and physical package. They are a good choice for folks who perhaps want a smaller pair of headphones and/or who value bass capability but not at the cost of mid or treble information, and also don't mind a smaller soundstage with more 'general' sonic image. They aren't the most technically-proficient but they are just fine for focused listening and never drop below 'average' IMO. They look and feel very nice with great fit and finish if only at the price; the wood (solid, veneer, or otherwise) feels and looks very nice (I'm a bassist and sucker for 'exotic' woods) and the cable connections are very secure, almost too much so. Can't comment on longevity as time will tell on that. Isolation is quite good even relative to some closed-back headphones, and I assume that's because the drivers are so close to your ears (see prior comments about shallow pads). The headband size will be an issue for some though so keep it in mind if you have size issues with other brands.

I'm debating whether or not to keep mine but only because I get antsy if I have too many headphones. The DT1990s are absolute keepers and I also have ATH-A900Xs that share a surprising overall similarity with the Elegias, so one of those will ultimately go. The Phoenix brings a combination of bass performance and overall balance that I'd love to keep in my collection.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #53 of 185
I wouldn't call these warm by any means, though they do lean slightly towards 'bassy'. With regards to the mids I've never found them shouty but with their stock tuning they do get confused/congested with certain songs such as the fast-moving guitars in Thornley's "Easy Comes" and, while this is an extreme example, even unpleasantness in the chorus of Wheatus's "Teenage Dirtbag". That said, pulling back the mids just a bit in the 500 Hz - 2 kHz region seems to clean it up and make things more resolved and pleasing to my ear. It also takes nicely to treble EQ, with increases of 2-3 DB in the 4-8 kHz region really adds some shimmer and perceptual clarity. Bass takes well to EQ as well though I really don't find it necessary for my taste.

Like I said in an earlier post this headphone fills the type of bass-centirc role that I previously tried the Fidelios out for but found the mids and treble way too far back in the presentation for my taste. I'm sitting here listening to the Phoenix's now with fresh ears after spending the last couple of days with new Elegias and my tried-and-true DT1990s... I just find these to be a very easy listen. Smooth and unoffensive with excellent bass presence and a pretty even tonality through the rest of the range.

• Points to Sivga for pulling off this bass performance, particularly in an open-back. Overall bass may not quite reach basshead levels but is deep and full, delivering plenty of quantity and rumble with songs like Kanye's "Love Lockdown" (my personal bass stress-test track), N.E.R.D.'s "Everyone Nose", Ester Dean's "Drop it Low" and Dillon Francis's "Get Low". The bass in Cake's cover of "War Pigs" is well-defined and offers plenty of body but the texture falls a bit behind when the rest of the instruments kick in. Visceral impact in things like the kick drum on songs like In This Moment's "Big Bad Wolf", AFI's "Miss Murder", and Garbage's Stupid Girl" are a step or two below the Elegia and DT 1990s but still no worse than adequate and I think that's just a general trade-off for the better bass extension and quantity at this price-point.

• Vocals sit comfortably in the mix, not forward but a bit recessed at times depending on specific range, and it all scales nicely with higher volume (signal chain noted in my earlier post). Separation/imaging can falter at times with challenging passages, evidenced by Collective Soul's "Where the River Flows" that have very distinct vocal and drum placement and both KMFDM's "Krank" that has some synth tones that move around a lot; these are notably easier to identify with the Elegias and DT 1990s. Interestingly enough the timing and precision of the very fast left-to-right bounces at the start and throughout Pressure 4-5's "Beat the World" is better here than the Elegia, which somehow falls off-time in the first part of the opening.

• Detail levels are above-average to good for non-busy songs (it can't quite pull out the very quiet background hi-hats at the start of Kid Rock's "Forever") but that falls to more 'satisfactory' levels when lots of information is present. In playing with basic EQ you can bring some more out with some bass reduction but IMO reducing bass isn't what this heapdhone is for in general. In

• Shifting gears to classical (of sorts), listening to various recordings from "Beethoven Around the World" nets a more intimate vibe and experience than on the Elegias or DT1990s. It goes back to that smaller soundstage and image; the instruments sound good and it's enjoyable but the ambiance of the space and sense of scale isn't there like with the other 2 headphones. In a totally different genre, recordings of bands like the Stray Cats and Squirrel Nut Zippers lose some of that "all in the same room" recording atmosphere since the soundstage is compressed... sounds like a very small room :) "My Way" from Sinatra also doesn't quite CRANK in that final verse like it does on my other headphones, so if any/all of these senses of space are important to you it will be missed.

Overall I'd say these headphones are priced right and deliver a very enjoyable experience in a complete sonic and physical package. They are a good choice for folks who perhaps want a smaller pair of headphones and/or who value bass capability but not at the cost of mid or treble information, and also don't mind a smaller soundstage with more 'general' sonic image. They aren't the most technically-proficient but they are just fine for focused listening and never drop below 'average' IMO. They look and feel very nice with great fit and finish; the wood (solid, veneer, or otherwise) feels and looks very nice (I'm a bassist and sucker for 'exotic' woods) and the cable connections are very secure, almost too much so. Can't comment on longevity as time will tell on that. Isolation is quite good even relative to some closed-back headphones, and I assume that's because the drivers are so close to your ears (see prior comments about shallow pads). The headband size will be an issue for some though so keep it in mind if you have size issues with other brands.

I'm debating whether or not to keep mine but only because I get antsy if I have too many headphones. The DT1990s are absolute keepers and I also have ATH-A900Xs that share a surprising overall similarity with the Elegias, so one of those will ultimately go. The Phoenix brings a combination of bass performance and overall balance that I'd love to keep in my collection.
Gorgeous. I want to hear more from you! This is what I like, nice and accurate descriptions with accurate backing up (reference tracks). You are a gem, so keep it up (if you want to), I think your reviews would be very useful - especially considering your detailing and accurate descriptions (with the combination of providing some technicality too). On point.

You do an excellent job expressing yourself!
+respect from me :wink:

Edit: Forgot to mention how much I value your versatility in terms of genres - you touch on a bit of everything, so there is something for everybody. This is of great significance!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #54 of 185
So I'm sending mine back, but not because of any real 'faults' with the Phoenix. Before I bought these I didn't realize just how important the soundstage and presence are to my enjoyment, and they can't compete with the DT1990s and/or Elegia in this regard. The experience those offer is just superior and I find myself really longing for it even while enjoying the bass the Sivga offers.

HOWEVER. and this is an important however, I don't view this as a knock on the Phoenix in any way. Those other headphones are 2.5-3.5x more expensive than the Phoenix at retail so it's not truly a fair fight. They focus on detail and resolution and the Sivgas focus seems to be on bass with an otherwise-even performance and quality construction and appearance; at the pricepoint they absolutely deliver on that.

I have zero hesitation recommending the Pheonix to anyone who fits the description in my earlier review post (and who also recognizes the rather svelte dimensions). This is a great performer that provides excellent bass with little sonic sacrifice in the rest of the spectrum, and in my experience that's tough to find at this price.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #55 of 185
So I'm sending mine back, but not because of any real 'faults' with the Phoenix. Before I bought these I didn't realize just how important the soundstage and presence are to my enjoyment, and they can't compete with the DT1990s and/or Elegia in this regard. The experience those offer is just superior and I find myself really longing for it even while enjoying the bass the Sivga offers.

HOWEVER. and this is an important however, I don't view this as a knock on the Phoenix in any way. Those other headphones are 2.5-3.5x more expensive than the Phoenix at retail so it's not truly a fair fight. They focus on detail and resolution and the Sivgas focus seems to be on bass with an otherwise-even performance and quality construction and appearance; at the pricepoint they absolutely deliver on that.

I have zero hesitation recommending the Pheonix to anyone who fits the description in my earlier review post (and who also recognizes the rather svelte dimensions). This is a great performer that provides excellent bass with little sonic sacrifice in the rest of the spectrum, and in my experience that's tough to find at this price.

100% agree.
I too am sending mine back, partially due to fit and partially due to soundstage. If I could get them to sit comfortably with a pad swap, and if I didn't have other phones that deliver better in staging, I'd keep these. Not to mention they are genuinely gorgeous.

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #56 of 185
100% agree.
I too am sending mine back, partially due to fit and partially due to soundstage. If I could get them to sit comfortably with a pad swap, and if I didn't have other phones that deliver better in staging, I'd keep these. Not to mention they are genuinely gorgeous.

They really are attractive with the zebrawood and low profile, and the finish of the wood is smooth, curvy, and just overall pleasing. Sivga (or whatever OEM produces it) has done a very good job.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #58 of 185
I've just bought one of these - expecting to receive them by friday. I currently have more neutral/analytical cans, so hoping to enjoy a "fun" one :)
I hate the term "fun". I just finished writing my full review of the Phoenix, and will be uploading it once I finish my photography for it. The Phoenix is everything but "fun". The term "fun" is just a nice way of saying that the headphones aren't serious and are enjoyable for a short listening session. It implies that it's an okay headphone but not audiophile-grade, not serious enough to be considered a pick. And that simply isn't the Phoenix.
Fun also usually refers to overemphasized bass and treble, while the mids suffer from some type of a "deficiency".

The bass resposne on the Phoenix is quite serious and rich. The punch is tight, the sub-bass rumbles, and the overall body and weight of the bass is closer to a closed-back headphone.
The mids can appear slightly recessed at times, but in no way are they unnatural, tinny, or lacking in detail.
The highs are crisp and clear, they aren't sibilant, but also aren't lacking in sparkle & detail.

The sound stage is narrower. But note it is not narrow. It just insn't as wide and open as you would expect from an open-back headphone. This being said, the Phoenix offers a fuller sound representation, it's more intense and the sound is fuller. I like this aspect and it is something that differs from the option on the market.

The Phoenix is a much more mature headphone than the comments on here are making it seem.

NOTE: I got an official statement from Sivga that they are currently in process of manufacturing an earpad for the Phoenix, so don't just get rid of your pair. Be patient and keep an eye open for the release

Aug 5, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #59 of 185
FWIW, I believe only a single commenter in this entire thread referred to the Phoenix as a "fun" headphone.
I personally did not (I used that word referencing Fidelio X2HR specifically), but more, I don't think I agree with your interpretation of the word. I think both of the aforementioned cans are specifically very good and very capable of critical listening sessions. I generally think of a "fun" headphone as one that is not flat or clinical in signature, or essentially has any noticeable curve which exists to effectively "sweeten" various tracks rather than accurately analyze or reveal them. To that end I adore my K712 Pros, but I consider them borderline "un-fun". :) Both the Fidelio and Phoenix are much more fun sounding, not necessarily less capable.
(But to your greater point, I do think that word is thrown around a bit much.)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #60 of 185
FWIW, I believe only a single commenter in this entire thread referred to the Phoenix as a "fun" headphone.
I personally did not (I used that word referencing Fidelio X2HR specifically), but more, I don't think I agree with your interpretation of the word. I think both of the aforementioned cans are specifically very good and very capable of critical listening sessions. I generally think of a "fun" headphone as one that is not flat or clinical in signature, or essentially has any noticeable curve which exists to effectively "sweeten" various tracks rather than accurately analyze or reveal them. To that end I adore my K712 Pros, but I consider them borderline "un-fun". :) Both the Fidelio and Phoenix are much more fun sounding, not necessarily less capable.
(But to your greater point, I do think that word is thrown around a bit much.)
Sorry if I gave you the impression that I was specifically aiming that at you, did not intend it to be offensive in any way. It was also not aimed directly at you, I just thought I'd share my thoughts while you mentioned the term.
I just see the term often being thrown around in reviews, and I cannot imagine being a serious buyer and being attracted to buying a "fun" headphone...
The problem is that there is no official definition, so you don't really know how to interpret the term. However, I do know I did read that somebody saw "fun" as in though a headphone that is fun to listen for a short period of time (unbearable to listen for longer sessions and long-term).

I just see the term being more negative than positive, it's almost degrading to the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back