Singxer SU-6
Mar 12, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #827 of 1,018
I really liked the Singxer sound and wasn’t planning to change until a Hermes popped up, the SU6 form factor is surprising small whereas the Hermes sits on the Pontus with same footprint

Plenty of excellent reviews online (GoldenSound) etc

Mar 13, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #828 of 1,018
Yesterday I installed a LT3045 module ( of course with an 22µF CAP ) as an exchange vor the Analog Devices 3.3V LDO regulator on the USB input side of the SU-6. The effect is very interesting, and unexpected. I thought it would bring even more focus, but instead it brought blackness. It took a lot of fussiness from the highs. You also get the impression of calmness and quietness inside of yourself.

It’s like being intimae and alone with the artist in an absolute silent room. Very strange.

A first and very easy step in this direction was the 100µF Polymer CAP right beside the USB connector.

Singxer SU-6 USB.jpg
That are very impressing mods you've done ,
I am very after what you described as "black and intimate background" and i would also take your path to modify the SU-6

Could you or B0bb post a summary with all your mods you done to the SU-6 that brought improvements, preferably with pictures and links to the parts.

Thank You!

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #829 of 1,018
-Not my experience using a Farad 9v (preferred) versus the supplied SMPS or a 7.5v 4.8A unit from UpTone. Why a series of two super capacitor-designed power supplies would sound better (and cost a lot more) I don’t know. Thoughts?
Has been said many times that SMPS might add noise to the mains which permeates other items.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #830 of 1,018
Has been said many times that SMPS might add noise to the mains which permeates other items.
True. That said, I’ve had all of these items connected to a Shunyata Denali conditioner with high quality, shielded AC cords, all of which I’d think would minimize SMPS pollution.
Dunno, but the Farad sounds best to my ears.

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #831 of 1,018
The MCLK port on the SU-6 is an output not input.
You will be limited to your SPDIF inputs as your DAC does not appear to have I2S inputs.
There is no USB pass thru on the Singxers.

SU-2 has a 10MHz reference input port.
The SU-2 clocks are much lower quality, the actual clock is a Taitien VCXO with about 4x more noise than the Crysteks in the SU-6.
This clock is slaved to the external reference. It is the actual clock used by the onboard logic.
This cannot be completely fixed using a better 10MHz external reference clock as the Taitien is doing the actual work

(The practical limit of the 10MHz reference is 24bitPCM@192kHz, this uses a 9.2MHz bit clock, going with a higher sample rate requires the reference to be multiplied, this will degrade the phase noise of the clock. Higher rate DSD material like DSD512 require master clocks of higher frequency, min 22.5MHz)
Except the Taitien VCXO, there has two Accusilicon VCXO, do you have idea both of them reference to 10M clock when external 10M clock is enabled?

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #832 of 1,018
Mod to improve performance of the SU6 by replacing the 3 galvanic isolators

Sonic improvements
1) Reduces the grain in the preentations, sibilants greatly reduces
2) Removes edginess of the sound, snare drums on the SU6 no longer breakup into a mess.
3) Able to keep the various elements of the track (vocals, percussion, strings) separated when things get busy eg orchestra, pieces and EDM tracks with lots of overlaid tracks
4) Greatly improves bass depth and slam
5) Much smoother midrange

These are the 2x Texas Instruments ISO7641 data isolator for the data from the XMOS chip
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d.jpg

This is the Silabs Si8620BB for the reference clock signal from the FPGA to the XMOS
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e.jpg
The existing isolators have 2 specific issues that can be improved
1) High jitter about 300ps
2) Noisy, data is sent over a modulated data carrier. This adds additional RF noise to the clean side.

This creates a bottleneck that limits the performance of the SU6 interface.

The replacements:
1) 3x less jitter, pulse jitter about 100ps
2) Uses different isolation transport, Giant Magneto-Resistive (GMR) vs capacitive, data carrier not required. Much less noise to deal with.
3) Better dielectric isolation, 6kV vs 4kV for the data isolators

Device is the IL717V for the data and IL711-3 for the reference clock, both from NVE Electronics.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_32.jpg
@bb0b, I suppose the DDC core reclock received data, so the jitter of input data signal cannot be decreased by reclock?

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #835 of 1,018
@b0bb I mean although the stock isolators generate 300ps jitter, but the DDC core should reclock them and reduce the jitter, not sure if my understanding is correct.
SU-6 reclocks the data, this is the case of the Singxer ones, I have (SU-6, SU-2, SU-1 and F1). You will have to check if other manufacturers do this.

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #836 of 1,018
I really liked the Singxer sound and wasn’t planning to change until a Hermes popped up, the SU6 form factor is surprising small whereas the Hermes sits on the Pontus with same footprint

Plenty of excellent reviews online (GoldenSound) etc
How does the SU-6 compare to the Hermes sound wise?

Apr 2, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #837 of 1,018
Considering the SPDIF-3 vs. SU6 vs. SU2 KTE vs. Gustartd U18 ... I really can't find anyone who does a comparison or shootout of these units.

Has anyone compare multiple of these DDCs ?

I could also go to a higher end like Denafrips Gaia/Hermes or Mutec MC3 but think I will stick with the midfi options for now.
I've owned the U18 and heard no perceptible improvement when paired with the Gustard R26. From the measurements I've seen online, it doesn't do a very good job of reducing jitter/noise which is basically the core function of a DDC. So either the R26 handles noise & jitter well internally with help from its low noise K2 clock synthesizer or the U18 is really only beneficial with units equipped with poor internally clocking.

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #838 of 1,018
Hello, does anyone here have information about the RJ45 pinout configuration for the U6? I am having a i2s cable made & I need this information to do this. I have emailed Singxer but have not yet heard back.

Thanks for your help.

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #839 of 1,018
Did you try any other DDC's besides the SU-6? Trying to finalize my purchase. It's right around my price range, but also considering X-SPDIF3 and the offerings from Gustard, Audio GD, Mutec, etc. Ty.

I have a DI-20, a DI-20HE, Mutec MC3+ USB, and MC-1.1+

What I would recommend depends on the user requirements, but these are all very good.

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #840 of 1,018
Hi
Hello, does anyone here have information about the RJ45 pinout configuration for the U6? I am having a i2s cable made & I need this information to do this. I have emailed Singxer but have not yet heard back.

Thanks for your help.
5B4F32C3-EE22-4AA6-BAA7-951BF4DF9000.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back