Singxer SU-6
Sep 7, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #138 of 1,018
One month burn in and still going? Is there a consensus that the SU-6 really requires that much break in to sound its' best? I went over this whole thread and didn't happen to catch that...

Sounding pretty good right now. Most people don't pay too much attention to burn in, probably enjoying the music instead.

Speaking of tinnitus, I'm a sufferer also in one ear. I find anytime you move towards a cleaner glare free sound the chance of "irritating" an affected ear(s) is much less. Years ago I could only listen to headphones at a very low volume, now I can crank up the volume without too much problem. Some types of electronic music even makes my ear feel better.

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #141 of 1,018
Sounding pretty good right now. Most people don't pay too much attention to burn in, probably enjoying the music instead.

Speaking of tinnitus, I'm a sufferer also in one ear. I find anytime you move towards a cleaner glare free sound the chance of "irritating" an affected ear(s) is much less. Years ago I could only listen to headphones at a very low volume, now I can crank up the volume without too much problem. Some types of electronic music even makes my ear feel better.
I have moderate tinnitus, and though I've never thought of it, maybe that's one reason I enjoy so much the added benefit of DDC or USB 'decrapifiers' in the chain. Maybe your point could have some merit on the treble more pure and glare free having a positive impact for this condition. Just as long as it doesn't add extra treble. And that's great that you've found some electronic music genres that help ease your condition. No doubt ambient and vaporwave shouldn't cause any fatigue, and I suppose deep house or trip hop may be good for this having slower tempo with less upper emphasis. Which genres worked for you?

RE 30+ day burn-in of the SU-6. I'll just wait till I get mine and play it by ear or even A/B it to my existing SU-1 but I'm not convinced that long is needed... yet.

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #142 of 1,018
Music genre for tinnitus therapy; I'm sure it's different for everyone as the causes are so varied. For me it's anything that causes extreme vibration/rumble to the inner ear, scratches that tickle that can't be scratched lol. Vibrating lower mids and upper bass. Glitch is good. An example of that is "Fennesz - Endless Summer". That does the job for me.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #143 of 1,018
The SU-6 I2S sounds very good with Audio GD DACs. On par with Gustard U16 I2S. In comparison the U16 is slightly more liquid with faster transients while the SU-6 has good bass drive and rhythm. Vocals, trebles, detail, stage are good with either DDC. They both make the recent R7 hardware mods sing!

I prefer the SU-6 over the Gustard U16 for strictly operational reasons. The buggy U16 has reoccurring issues that are annoying. Like the SU-1/ F1 with the same PC the SU-6 never has issues in operation. Same Windows driver used for either of the three Singxers so it was truly plug-n-play for me to swap in the SU-6.

The SU-6 sounds better than the F1 and SU-1. The two older models smear quick transients while the SU-6 is more open, relaxed sounding with a lot of detail and precision. At least with AGD DACs using HDMI I2S. I still use the F1 in my system for Windows audio/ games and sounds great for that purpose.

The supplied SU-6 power supply costs $12.50 from Mouser or Digikey. I tried LPSs but did not make any difference. Even tried a +5V supply and the SU-6 works OK. And appears the SU-6’s internal super cap supply switches or chops the incoming DC power to feed the super cap circuits (DC-DC). So the "chopping" seems to defeat the purpose of cleaner power supply. I went back to the supplied $12.50 unit for now until convinced to try again.

The SU-6 took 4-6 wks. to sound its best. Vocals were a little grainy in early comparisons with the U16. Happy listening!
This deserves a repost - super helpful! ^
I also like the mention of the SU-6 having better bass drive and rhythm, and others have said it is detailed and liquid sounding as well.

For me I already have the SU-1 so can sell it to help towards the cost of the SU-6, or wait for a 2nd opinion for anybody about the U16 vs. SU-6.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #144 of 1,018
Anyone know how to set the SU-6 to accept an external clock?
What buttons do you press to get that option?

Unfortunately the SU-6 does not have external clocking capability.

This deserves a repost - super helpful! ^
I also like the mention of the SU-6 having better bass drive and rhythm, and others have said it is detailed and liquid sounding as well.

For me I already have the SU-1 so can sell it to help towards the cost of the SU-6, or wait for a 2nd opinion for anybody about the U16 vs. SU-6.

The 10Mhz externally clocked Gustard U16 sounds really good and probably the best I have heard by a small measure. But I can't really recommend the U16 as it is full of problems. Sampling rates above 96K do not play back smoothly. It seems to me the U16 just doesn't have enough buffering to smoothly play back the larger file sizes.

There will be other DDCs to consider in the near future. That technology is changing fast.

Sep 8, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #145 of 1,018
Unfortunately the SU-6 does not have external clocking capability.

The 10Mhz externally clocked Gustard U16 sounds really good and probably the best I have heard by a small measure. But I can't really recommend the U16 as it is full of problems. Sampling rates above 96K do not play back smoothly. It seems to me the U16 just doesn't have enough buffering to smoothly play back the larger file sizes.

There will be other DDCs to consider in the near future. That technology is changing fast.
Quite interesting DACLadder! I personally have no need for PCM sampling rates above 96K, but does the U16 work with DSD files that are above this rate?

What are any possible benefits of external reclocking?

Excellent, feel free to post here about some of the newer DDCs that may come up sometime. That would be super to know about.

Sep 24, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #148 of 1,018
Sep 25, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #149 of 1,018
Thanks for the responses. I should have been a little more detailed and I apologize. Aqua DACs have a different RJ45 pinout than I2S pinouts from most DDCs. I'll have to thank Ghent Audio for working on a cable and Cristian at Aqua and Leter at Singxer for providing information to help make the cable. All three are a pleasure to deal with.

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #150 of 1,018

Users who are viewing this thread

Back