Singxer SU-6
Jun 24, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #48 of 1,018
Thanks for this, this also gets you to the firmware and drivers. Looks like this uses a driver in common with SU-1.

Going to use this with a Wyred4Sound PS-1 just because it's already plugged in.

"9. If the SU -6 needs to connect to other power sources, it needs a DC power supply voltage of 7.5V-9V, a current of at least 2A, preferably 7.5V 3A"

I wonder what difference between 7.5v & 9v would be? Better lifespan or will it affect the sound quality?

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #49 of 1,018
Please Please Please! People post your impressions and experience with the SU6! Many of us looking forward to it. Unfortunately my paycheck won't allow me to pickup the SU6 until it is time T.T. Sure that's the case for a number of us but it would be nice to look forward to some information regarding it.

Jun 25, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #50 of 1,018
Please Please Please! People post your impressions and experience with the SU6!
I think what's already been said in this thread accurately reflects its performance. It's easily the best USB based DDC on the market right now. I like it better than my Lynx AES16e, more resolution, instrument separation, and holographic sound.
Far better than stock SU-1, Schiit Eitr, somebody here already said it's better than Matrix X-SPDIF 2. If you really want something better than SU-6, you gotta start thinking about off-board 10mhz reference clocks that go for $3000+.
The only thing to note on it is synergy, it does learn slightly bright compared to other DDC, but nothing to worry about unless your chain is already giving you headaches from brightness.

For USB choice, don't go over the top, it's not needed. Get a Belkin Gold USB or something like this.
Power supplies and mods not needed, out of the box performance is totl.

Jun 25, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #51 of 1,018
I think what's already been said in this thread accurately reflects its performance. It's easily the best USB based DDC on the market right now. I like it better than my Lynx AES16e, more resolution, instrument separation, and holographic sound.
Far better than stock SU-1, Schiit Eitr, somebody here already said it's better than Matrix X-SPDIF 2. If you really want something better than SU-6, you gotta start thinking about off-board 10mhz reference clocks that go for $3000+.
The only thing to note on it is synergy, it does learn slightly bright compared to other DDC, but nothing to worry about unless your chain is already giving you headaches from brightness.

For USB choice, don't go over the top, it's not needed. Get a Belkin Gold USB or something like this.
Power supplies and mods not needed, out of the box performance is totl.
WELL said :)

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #53 of 1,018
Guys, any idea how the SU-6 would do against the Hydra Z with its PSU ZPM? Much appreciated. Thinking of dumping my U16 and getting either the SU6 or the Hydra. Any inputs highly appreciated. Thanks a million.
Never seen much about that hydra DDC. Little to be found about it being particularly good.
I would much rather trust in something like SU-6, or matrix x-spdif2.

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #54 of 1,018
Guys, any idea how the SU-6 would do against the Hydra Z with its PSU ZPM? Much appreciated. Thinking of dumping my U16 and getting either the SU6 or the Hydra. Any inputs highly appreciated. Thanks a million.

Rob didn't think too highly of it, in his comparison round up from a few years back
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...ernet-chain-beats-all-at-least-for-me.829639/

The insides of the unit look less impressive than the Singxer SU-1.
Coupled with it's exorbitantly high price for the combo with the LPS & I always avoided it.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #56 of 1,018
Rob didn't think too highly of it, in his comparison round up from a few years back
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...ernet-chain-beats-all-at-least-for-me.829639/

The insides of the unit look less impressive than the Singxer SU-1.
Coupled with it's exorbitantly high price for the combo with the LPS & I always avoided it.

Thank you sir for your input, guess that puts an end to that. Going with the SU-6 then. I am just sick of the Gustard U16 skipping and popping especially when I upsample to DSD 64 on Roon. With DSD 128 all I get is static. My SU-1 worked flawlessly and I am hoping the SU-6 is an upgrade in terms of SQ to the U16 without all the pops and clicks thrown in.

Jul 12, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #57 of 1,018
Thank you sir for your input, guess that puts an end to that. Going with the SU-6 then. I am just sick of the Gustard U16 skipping and popping especially when I upsample to DSD 64 on Roon. With DSD 128 all I get is static. My SU-1 worked flawlessly and I am hoping the SU-6 is an upgrade in terms of SQ to the U16 without all the pops and clicks thrown in.

Agree 100%

Very much looking forward to your impressions, I hear from the U16 thread that the SU-6 needs quite a bit of break in....

I have not tried DSD yet with the U16, but I just flashed my older U16 to the latest firmware to permit the SPDIF output to work without static.
Coax RCA SPDIF now works OK, but now the U16 screen does not have the selector for the PSA (PS Audio) setting, so the HDMI i2s output is reversed R/L in my other DAC.

My SU-1 worked flawlessly with all my stuff also, it sounds a bit solid state compared to the U16 (my speakers have a couple peaks after 10K)... I just received a double regulated LT3045 5V DC-DC box I may try with the SU-1 if I do not pull the trigger on a SU-6.

I do not have any switching power supplies in my stereo room, so if anyone is using a LPS with the SU-6, please let us know..
The SU-6 feeding PS specs sound very close to the Uptone LPS-1 requirement and I am feeding 3 of those Uptone things with separate 3.5A Teradak LPS's.
I notice that if the Uptone LPS-1 is working hard, then the Teradak PS case can get unusually hot, so it seems these supercapacitor charging circuits require a fairly high amperage feeding PS.

Jul 12, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #58 of 1,018
Agree 100%

Very much looking forward to your impressions, I hear from the U16 thread that the SU-6 needs quite a bit of break in....

I have not tried DSD yet with the U16, but I just flashed my older U16 to the latest firmware to permit the SPDIF output to work without static.
Coax RCA SPDIF now works OK, but now the U16 screen does not have the selector for the PSA (PS Audio) setting, so the HDMI i2s output is reversed R/L in my other DAC.

My SU-1 worked flawlessly with all my stuff also, it sounds a bit solid state compared to the U16 (my speakers have a couple peaks after 10K)... I just received a double regulated LT3045 5V DC-DC box I may try with the SU-1 if I do not pull the trigger on a SU-6.

I do not have any switching power supplies in my stereo room, so if anyone is using a LPS with the SU-6, please let us know..
The SU-6 feeding PS specs sound very close to the Uptone LPS-1 requirement and I am feeding 3 of those Uptone things with separate 3.5A Teradak LPS's.
I notice that if the Uptone LPS-1 is working hard, then the Teradak PS case can get unusually hot, so it seems these supercapacitor charging circuits require a fairly high amperage feeding PS.
Hi,
From what I am hearing, the SU 6 does not scale with an external LPS since the supplied SMPS does not supply power to the unit but all it does is to charge the super capacitor which in turn supplies the required power. Magna Hifi (I think) have decided to go without a need for a power upgrade due to this reason. Nevertheless, its always good to see if indeed there a gain in SQ if a LPS is used. Thank you.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #59 of 1,018
Hi,
From what I am hearing, the SU 6 does not scale with an external LPS since the supplied SMPS does not supply power to the unit but all it does is to charge the super capacitor which in turn supplies the required power. Magna Hifi (I think) have decided to go without a need for a power upgrade due to this reason. Nevertheless, its always good to see if indeed there a gain in SQ if a LPS is used. Thank you.

I agree technically the LPS may not help increase the signal quality output from the SU-6, but my understanding is that standard SMPS wall-wart type power adapters push noise back through the mains supply. I imagine if that is true (seems measurements are available, not sure if that stuff is audible though), then a heavy-duty 3A SMPS working hard may be particularly noisy. If I understand correctly, some of these SMPS's are designed such as to minimize the noise and Uptone has changed its SMPS model to one of these better types.

Some users of the Uptone LPS-1 have reported improvement using a better feeder supply. This could have been because of the supposedly resulting cleaner mains, or maybe really affected the output quality, or maybe was just user preconception...

In any case, I am very much looking forward to your impressions vs. the U16.
I think a properly working U16 is a tough act to follow, but given the lack of compatibility I have found with my 2 units, I doubt if I would consider any Gustard product in the future.

Jul 16, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #60 of 1,018
The SU-6 I2S sounds very good with Audio GD DACs. On par with Gustard U16 I2S. In comparison the U16 is slightly more liquid with faster transients while the SU-6 has good bass drive and rhythm. Vocals, trebles, detail, stage are good with either DDC. They both make the recent R7 hardware mods sing!

I prefer the SU-6 over the Gustard U16 for strictly operational reasons. The buggy U16 has reoccurring issues that are annoying. Like the SU-1/ F1 with the same PC the SU-6 never has issues in operation. Same Windows driver used for either of the three Singxers so it was truly plug-n-play for me to swap in the SU-6.

The SU-6 sounds better than the F1 and SU-1. The two older models smear quick transients while the SU-6 is more open, relaxed sounding with a lot of detail and precision. At least with AGD DACs using HDMI I2S. I still use the F1 in my system for Windows audio/ games and sounds great for that purpose.

The supplied SU-6 power supply costs $12.50 from Mouser or Digikey. I tried LPSs but did not make any difference. Even tried a +5V supply and the SU-6 works OK. And appears the SU-6’s internal super cap supply switches or chops the incoming DC power to feed the super cap circuits (DC-DC). So the "chopping" seems to defeat the purpose of cleaner power supply. I went back to the supplied $12.50 unit for now until convinced to try again.

The SU-6 took 4-6 wks. to sound its best. Vocals were a little grainy in early comparisons with the U16. Happy listening!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back