Singxer SU-2
Mar 11, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 215
I guess I should have read this topic before I purchased the SU-2. Anybody been able to get a good sound with the stock parts?

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #17 of 215
I have now clocked in about 240 hours of burn in time. There has been some improvement in sound. With certain recordings it sounds pretty good. I can't shake the harshness in the treble region at the moment.

I haven't seen any in depth reviews about the SU-2. I know I'm the last one who has posted but no one has given me an answer about their experience with the device. Is there anyone who has had it longer than me who has had a positive experience? Did it become smoother after a certain point?

Edit: Moved my power cord back into the power conditioner. Harshness is now gone. Weird. Music sounds great to me. Still would like to hear the experience of others.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #18 of 215
Maybe someone know, which voltage reg I must buy to replace in su-2? 1 voltage reg 5v in power board, but what is another 2? 1 for clock and 1 for xmos etc?
Can someone mark on this pic what voltage reg used in kitsune?

Attachments

• IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 0
Oct 11, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #19 of 215
I just posted a review of the SU-2 on my new YouTube channel:

Enjoy!

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #20 of 215
One of the interesting features of the SU6 is the use of a supercap.
The mod below takes the idea and applies it to the SU2.
The mod in operation about 2 months.

2X15F supercap.
Analog Devices LTC4425 controller

Proof of concept to see if supercaps adds any value to the SU2, the work is quick and dirty to get something going.
Supercap pair used here is a leftover from my SU6 mod work.

One feature this has over the SU6 is the SU2 runs on regular power while the supercap charges.
Takes about 5-6mins to fully charge.
Controller connects the supercap once it is fully charged.

Powersupply regulator changed to Belleson SPX, these can handle 3A peak to facilitate the charging current spikes.

Sound wise I noticed a large improvement in dynamics in the music.

05BD64A3-F774-42B7-9602-0483F272ED37_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #21 of 215
One of the interesting features of the SU6 is the use of a supercap.
The mod below takes the idea and applies it to the SU2.
The mod in operation about 2 months.

2X15F supercap.
Analog Devices LTC4425 controller

Proof of concept to see if supercaps adds any value to the SU2, the work is quick and dirty to get something going.
Supercap pair used here is a leftover from my SU6 mod work.

One feature this has over the SU6 is the SU2 runs on regular power while the supercap charges.
Takes about 5-6mins to fully charge.
Controller connects the supercap once it is fully charged.

Powersupply regulator changed to Belleson SPX, these can handle 3A peak to facilitate the charging current spikes.

Sound wise I noticed a large improvement in dynamics in the music.

05BD64A3-F774-42B7-9602-0483F272ED37_1_105_c.jpeg
Hello,
Is the mod for the Su 2 available for purchase by any chance? Or is it a diy tutorial?
Sounds interesting for a start.
Were there any other improvements besides dynamics?

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #22 of 215
Hello,
Is the mod for the Su 2 available for purchase by any chance? Or is it a diy tutorial?
Sounds interesting for a start.
Were there any other improvements besides dynamics?
The board itself can be purchased from an industrial electronics supplier like Mouser, DigiKey or Farnell.

You will need some electronics DIY experience, supercaps hold a lot of energy requiring careful handling.

Supercaps go a long way to close the gap between SU6 and SU2.
Take a look at my earlier comments about the stock SU2, the resolution is poor compared to SU6 a bit like listening with a pillow over your ears.
Stock SU2 sounds quite lethargic compared to the SU6, hence the comment about the improvement in dynamics.

With a supercap, the details in the music come thru much better and the midrange is a lot smoother than the SU6, SU6 can be quite cold with some equipment.

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #23 of 215
The board itself can be purchased from an industrial electronics supplier like Mouser, DigiKey or Farnell.

You will need some electronics DIY experience, supercaps hold a lot of energy requiring careful handling.

Supercaps go a long way to close the gap between SU6 and SU2.
Take a look at my earlier comments about the stock SU2, the resolution is poor compared to SU6 a bit like listening with a pillow over your ears.
Stock SU2 sounds quite lethargic compared to the SU6, hence the comment about the improvement in dynamics.

With a supercap, the details in the music come thru much better and the midrange is a lot smoother than the SU6, SU6 can be quite cold with some equipment.
Thank you for your feedback.
Oh, too bad, my electrical knowledge is not sufficient for that.
To be able to do it myself.
It would be a great upgrade in any case.
If there was a Diy kit and I only had to connect it to the circuit board, I would still be able to do it.
But soldering something like that myself, maybe even if the instructions were well described, otherwise the box would probably go up in smoke.

Generally, it was an upgrade without a doubt.
Since I still have the Sda 2 from Singxer and connected it via I2S, it was an upgrade in that respect.
Via coax on the stereo system even when I go digital.
Maybe a bit cold, but I suspect it's because of the Denon 800 Ne.
Combined with the Little Dot Dac 1 via coax the improvements were subtle and on Sda2 level I found.

My personal guess is that the improvements are strongly dependent on the implementation of the Dac, with the tendency that the worse the implementation the better the results with the Su2.
Mentioned pi times thumbs.

It is not a direct bad buy, more a nice to have as far as the Su2 is concerned.
The comparisons between the Su2 and Su6 read modestly.
Although the Su6 is supposed to be better, it also has strong disadvantages in my opinion.
The Su 2 is still more interesting when the upgrades are kept cheap, as you can see.
The Kitsune upgrade also sounds great but quite expensive in my opinion.

Overall, I found the combination of the Su 2 quite good with a dac and tube amp than with a solid state amp.
With the solid state I find that the combination gives good results but is a bit static.
I found this less the case with a tube amp.
There it is enough to illuminate the rear corner and I found the reproduction more fluid and homogeneous.

This is my rough impression.
But most of the impressions I found of both or 3 models where one is not available were mainly very subjective.

However, to be on the safe side, don't expect a next entry level, it's not that good as if it would replace or improve the Dac.
Depending on the implementations there tend to be subtle differences overall, I found that when it did improve it was often where the Dac lacked.
3D presentation, a little wider stage, a little more detail coming out, more textures in the bass mid treble range.
And a little warmer presentation.

If I'm honest, I'd put more focus on the PC when it's in use, and invest in a decent PCie USB Expresse card there.
You've already done a lot with it via USB interference.
Because the signals are transported via Pcie Express instead of via the mainboard, where interference can occur and the path is longer.
In general, it also makes sense to check the fuses of the devices.
In my Sda 2 a ceramic one was installed but the end caps were a bit loose.
Check the fuses and replace them with sensible ones that don't cost a lot of money.
It doesn't have to be gold thread or caps, or silver stuff.
Even if it is a nice to have.
An improved standard fuse is already sufficient.
Otherwise, if you want, I can recommend the Hifi tuning fuse, which delivers great results without being on the voodoo side.
And everyone can afford it.

Oct 31, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #24 of 215
Oct 31, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #26 of 215
@fmzip, board level mods, will need techs familiar with SMD rework to do this one.
Part availability is becoming an issue due to the shortages in the industry.
DSCN1885.jpg

Attachments

• 8B872B3B-94E0-41EE-8229-3547C015B2A0_1_105_c.jpeg
    8B872B3B-94E0-41EE-8229-3547C015B2A0_1_105_c.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #27 of 215
@fmzip, the power supply regulator will have to be upgraded to take advantage of the supercap
Supercaps increase the transient current demand from the supply.

This mod changes the regulator to a 5V@3A Belleson SPX78
https://www.belleson.com/store/SPX-Max-Performance

The Schottky diode bridge reduces the voltage drop by 0.7-1V, about 20% of the supply voltage.
This helps as the voltage will drop as large currents are pulled into the supercap.

Individual diodes on a bridge rectifier pcb

8017CC62-9F32-4BEB-AF0A-3674BF61CBF6_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #28 of 215
@fmzip Swap reference XO for Crystek CCHD-957 as you have done.

I think there is more presentation details in with the Crysteks.
There is a downside, on the 705k sampling rate there is dropout, 768k shows no problem.

My SU2 seems to have an incompatibility with the 45.1584MHz crystals as the highest rate.
(Tried 3 diffrerent XOs from different batches)

Irony is the CCHD957@352k outperforms the stock AS318B@705k
  • Better detail retrieval
  • Better bass
  • Better transient handling, does not get muddy on EDM tracks.
79C283A4-91A4-4756-8E0F-5514F828BDD7_1_105_c.jpeg

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #30 of 215
Thanks for posting all of this @b0bb. Great work!

Curious, what other gear is in your chain, preamp etc?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back