Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Aug 11, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,339 of 2,563
Nimbus and singxer SA-1 are positioned in different weight categories. According to the reviews of people on another forum who have heard nimbus, this is really an uncompromising amplifier. Singxer sa-1 is just a good product for its price, which you can find fault with (if you want).

p.s within a week I will get a neutrik xlr connector, I will redo the cable and try singxer on the balanced output. If nothing changes, then I will probably sell it because I am very used to my old amplifier and despite the positive qualities of singxer, for me it is not better than the old amplifier.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #1,340 of 2,563
Nimbus and singxer SA-1 are positioned in different weight categories. According to the reviews of people on another forum who have heard nimbus, this is really an uncompromising amplifier. Singxer sa-1 is just a good product for its price, which you can find fault with (if you want).

p.s within a week I will get a neutrik xlr connector, I will redo the cable and try singxer on the balanced output. If nothing changes, then I will probably sell it because I am very used to my old amplifier and despite the positive qualities of singxer, for me it is not better than the old amplifier.
Which is your old one?

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #1,342 of 2,563
Maxdalax I used Singxer sa1 in pre-amplifier mode on active speakers. With this use, it adds a signal from itself and changes the sound.

nekky my old amp is an Energy Audio M3 mod C amplifier. an old and rare amplifier, made by hand by one master. + I inserted a burson v6 classic into it and opa from zerofox into it.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #1,343 of 2,563
Maxdalax I used Singxer sa1 in pre-amplifier mode on active speakers. With this use, it adds a signal from itself and changes the sound.

nekky my old amp is an Energy Audio M3 mod C amplifier. an old and rare amplifier, made by hand by one master. + I inserted a burson v6 classic into it and opa from zerofox into it.
How did you like it as a pre amplifier?

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #1,344 of 2,563
I have one of these on order from Drop...so I watched a few reviews and they said something about it not always being a class-A amp...so how does that work? What circumstances would cause it to switch from Class-A to A/B?

Aug 13, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,346 of 2,563
Sense it will switch to class AB at a certain level of gain and volume. In everyday use, this moment is not felt.
Is there any way of knowing if you've gone from class-A to A/B? I got this from Drop because I had drop credits...also...I already have an A90...trying to figure out if there is a reason to keep one over the other. Reading back it sounds like people are split on these two. Some like one...some like others. I had hoped that the Singxer would be a much warmer amp than the A90.

Aug 13, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #1,347 of 2,563
Is there any way of knowing if you've gone from class-A to A/B? I got this from Drop because I had drop credits...also...I already have an A90...trying to figure out if there is a reason to keep one over the other. Reading back it sounds like people are split on these two. Some like one...some like others. I had hoped that the Singxer would be a much warmer amp than the A90.
The warmth of the amp doesn't have anything to do with its class A or AB. Class A/AB simply means energy consumption within the amp circuit and nothing else. There is no way on earth to figure out when the amplification transfers from A to AB because it's a gradual ramping process. As the gain increases, there is a point on the curve where the energy consumption gradually starts following the amplified signal (Class AB) instead of flowing at a constant rate (Class A). There is NO audible difference! No change to the sound signature at all. But I'd assume that the amp becomes AB when on high gain and the volume pot is at 3 o'clock.

The difference between the A90 and SA-1 is that the chip based A90 is clinical af but the SA-1 is a transistor based amp. Therefore, the SA-1 might add some 3rd order harmonics with suppressed 2nd order harmonics. As opposed to tube amps that add 2nd order and 3rd order harmonics with some 4th order harmonics. Transistor based amps might sound fuller and slightly warmer than clinical chip-based/OP amps but not to the point where the difference is big enough to be appreciable. In high tier headphones you can definitely hear it though. However, both A90 and SA-1 are very resolving and neutral amps. The SA-1 might sound slightly more layered and full but I wouldn't call it warmth. The A90 is good for mixing and mastering and all sorts of critical listening because it preserves the sound as it is being a 'wire with gain'. The Singxer is more musical, if you will.

Aug 13, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #1,348 of 2,563
I’ve owned both the SA-1 and the A90. The SA-1 is def warmer and just all around better than the A90 imo.

Unrelated, it’s weird, my HD600 sounds better from the 4.4 output than XLR. My HD660s on the other hand sounds amazeballs on the XLR and not as good on the 4.4 output. I have no idea why these differences exist but it’s nice to have all of the options this amp provides, and also that both balanced outputs pretty much sound awesome. This amp is just so cool

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #1,349 of 2,563
For everyone worrying about the DC protection, let me clarify something. If a DAC manufacturer cannot make a DAC that has zero DC on the output, they are so grossly incompetent that they shouldn't be making products at all. Generally though, that tiny handful of [insert suitable insult here in the plural] usually make NOS (non-oversampling) DACs, using old R2R chips, which don't use an output stage after the DAC converter for "purity" or some BS. If you haven't encountered one of these things, you don't need to worry about it. :)
If I draw a frequency graph, Singxer (very) slight more W-Shape where A90 is more linear. Both amp definitely still consider as neutral though, and measurement show both of them actually dead flat.
Just FYI, you want to look at the crosstalk graph of an amp or DAC to see how it is tuned.
Unrelated, it’s weird, my HD600 sounds better from the 4.4 output better than XLR. My HD660s on the other hand sounds amazeballs on the XLR and not as good on the 4.4 output. I have no idea why these differences exist but it’s nice to have all of the options this amp provides, and also that both balanced outputs pretty much sound awesome. This amp is just so cool
Some plugs and sockets seem to cause a bit of an increase in crosstalk between the connectors.

Aug 14, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #1,350 of 2,563
Generally though, that tiny handful of [insert suitable insult here in the plural] usually make NOS (non-oversampling) DACs, using old R2R chips, which don't use an output stage after the DAC converter for "purity" or some BS.
Hmmm…NOS + R2R…is Holo one of the brands? I was thinking about picking one of those up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back