Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Sep 22, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #2,101 of 2,579
FYI Focal Elex loses all of its main assets paired with the sa-1. Punch, dynamics, the close up in your face perspective. The Elex on the Rebel heightens all those assets lost with the sa-1.
Love the singxer with the senn 660s. Elex is very smooth with the sa-1 however its not an Elex anymore.
Compatibility is everything.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #2,102 of 2,579
Is it okay to leave the sa-1 on all the time, even if it is not playing? Also, how many hours of "burn-in" (if any) does the sa-1 require to hit its ideal stride in performance?

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #2,104 of 2,579
Is it okay to leave the sa-1 on all the time, even if it is not playing? Also, how many hours of "burn-in" (if any) does the sa-1 require to hit its ideal stride in performance?
Much less than many others. I think a few days and its there. I keep master switch on in back of unit for standby but turn off front switch which keeps amplification off. For a few days i kept unit in highz mode to offset slight brightness. Now its always in lowz.

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #2,105 of 2,579
so, in case someone is curious, I am doing an A/B of the SA-1 as a pre-amp against the SW51+ as a pre-amp. setup is this: (1) J2 SE to SW51+, then from the low-z headphone out of the SW51+ with a Canare cable to first line in of Musical Paradise MP-301 tube amp; (2) J2 via balanced XLR cable into SA-1, and then from the SE pre-outs to another line in of PM-301, I can flip the switch handily to catch the difference. speakers are Triangle Titus Ez. well, performance is passable, but I am not impressed with SA-1 as a preamp, at least via SE outs. the thing it has over SW51+ is bass definition, but other than that the problem seems identical to that the SE headphone output of SA-1 - not enough juice. not only do I have to crank the volume all the way to 3 o'clock to match the SW51+ 11 o'clock, but the sound still lacks dynamic punch, the soundstage is noticeably narrower... perhaps things will improve with XLR pre-outs of SA-1, but I don't have a passing power amp on hand to test this.

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #2,106 of 2,579
so, in case someone is curious, I am doing an A/B of the SA-1 as a pre-amp against the SW51+ as a pre-amp. setup is this: (1) J2 SE to SW51+, then from the low-z headphone out of the SW51+ with a Canare cable to first line in of Musical Paradise MP-301 tube amp; (2) J2 via balanced XLR cable into SA-1, and then from the SE pre-outs to another line in of PM-301, I can flip the switch handily to catch the difference. speakers are Triangle Titus Ez. well, performance is passable, but I am not impressed with SA-1 as a preamp, at least via SE outs. the thing it has over SW51+ is bass definition, but other than that the problem seems identical to that the SE headphone output of SA-1 - not enough juice. not only do I have to crank the volume all the way to 3 o'clock to match the SW51+ 11 o'clock, but the sound still lacks dynamic punch, the soundstage is noticeably narrower... perhaps things will improve with XLR pre-outs of SA-1, but I don't have a passing power amp on hand to test this.
Yeah SE out sucks

Oct 1, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #2,107 of 2,579
Greetings to all. I have Singxer-Sa1 in my use for about 6-8 months. With all this hype, I did not appreciate the prospects of transferring all headphones to Bal. connection

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #2,108 of 2,579
Honestly. This amplifier causes mixed feelings. Even after DC mode, it doesn't sound fantastic, as many people write about it. There is a lack of dynamics (energy) and warmth, an amorphous sound, detached, as if the vocals sound far away (muffled) and this is called a "wide stage". There is no emotion. I'm not impressed with this pitch, I'm upset.

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #2,109 of 2,579
Honestly. This amplifier causes mixed feelings. Even after DC mode, it doesn't sound fantastic, as many people write about it. There is a lack of dynamics (energy) and warmth, an amorphous sound, detached, as if the vocals sound far away (muffled) and this is called a "wide stage". There is no emotion. I'm not impressed with this pitch, I'm upset.
to be honest, I can't say I agree with your impressions, with Verum 1 balanced I get a pretty good slam, warmth to my liking and all. having said that, I am also a bit disappointed, but I guess this is due to me having high expectations - I though that this would be a much bigger step up from Cavalli LCX.

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #2,110 of 2,579
to be honest, I can't say I agree with your impressions, with Verum 1 balanced I get a pretty good slam, warmth to my liking and all. having said that, I am also a bit disappointed, but I guess this is due to me having high expectations - I though that this would be a much bigger step up from Cavalli LCX.
Was a huge step up from Cavalli CTH and all thx amps for me. (789 & 887)

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #2,111 of 2,579
What Dac are you pairing the Singxer with?

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #2,112 of 2,579
What Dac are you pairing the Singxer with?
I use this amplifier with pc, g6 and AE9, the sound is still worse through China clone Lehman that was before, and no need to spend money on the balance cable)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #2,113 of 2,579
delite

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #2,114 of 2,579

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #2,115 of 2,579
I have got the singxer SA-1 (no mods) paired with a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 in a Home Study rig, which sources music from Roon (Tidal/Qobuz/local files) either through my Macmini (USB) or Metrum Acoustics Ambre. However I slice it, this chain rocks, and I have got mucho dynamics, details, spaciousness, and extension at both ends coming out of my ears. Even more interestingly, I can listen to this chain for hours non-stop without any fatigue.

This rig sounds very satisfying--so satisfying--that it always succeeds in playing a funny trick on me by concealing its own limitations to me quite perfectly. Whenever I start off any day listening to it, it sounds quite perfect to me : I can't find any shortcomings to complain about, and wouldn't were I to listen to it all day! I even have a Schiit Lokius hooked up to this stack which is always in bypass mode, because I never feel the need to use it.

However, I do know it has limitations, but I only become aware of those limitations when I switch rigs and begin listening to the same music on another rig which is about 6 times more expensive than the Singxer sa-1/Bifrost 2/64 stack... Personally, I say that's a pretty impressive and neat trick the rig has up its sleeve and it gets me every single time. I have never heard anything on this rig that has been less than impressive my to ears... I do recognize, however, that mileages may vary, for several good reasons.

By the way the HPs I have been using with this particular rig are the Arya V3 and the OG Audeze LCD-X.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back