Singlepower tube rolling thread
Feb 25, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #331 of 334
First, look at this thread: http://www.artsandmedia.com/5965.html

The differences to these tubes when they are being used with VT-231s are small. They all sound good, and the major difference is gain. The best tube for me is the Amperex pinched waist, but all the 5965s sound pretty good, and the 6414 is, of course, lovely.

When you do use these tubes as the input for VT-231s, you will find enormous differences between the VT-231s. I have Slyvania Bad Boys, Regular Sylvania VT-231s, KenRads, Raytheon, RCA and NU. Each one has a very distinctive signature that you can hear immediately.

Don't spend a lot of money (more than $25/tube) on 7062, 5965, 6414, 12AV7, or 6829. These tubes may sound different on other amps or with other outputs, but on the SP MPX3 Slam SE, they just don't make much difference, other than for gain.

May 17, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #332 of 334
Hello Head-fiers,
I was wondering if anyone here can help me a bit with the tubes in my amp. I recently bought a PPX3 with a Solen upgrade. The amp came with the stock EI 6cg7 tubes and a set of 3 RCA cleartops. I tried first the EI tubes and after a couple of days I installed the RCAs which I had read were much better. However, the RCAs seem to be less dynamic and with more distortion. Is that the normal performance of those tubes or do you think they are just near the end of their life?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Diego

May 17, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #333 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Head-fiers,
I was wondering if anyone here can help me a bit with the tubes in my amp. I recently bought a PPX3 with a Solen upgrade. The amp came with the stock EI 6cg7 tubes and a set of 3 RCA cleartops. I tried first the EI tubes and after a couple of days I installed the RCAs which I had read were much better. However, the RCAs seem to be less dynamic and with more distortion. Is that the normal performance of those tubes or do you think they are just near the end of their life?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Diego

Sounds like a bad tube,try switching tubes out one at a time to see if its only one tube.You may also have a worn set of RCAs.

May 17, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #334 of 334
Thanks for your help
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back