Singlepower Supra XLR First Impressions
Oct 22, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Hmmm, is the Supra XLR in stealth mode?!? I don't see it in the pic...

Hehe, yea, it's in stealth mode. You'll have to open up the pics side by side. I had to send in the mpx3 to upgrade to the supra xlr. You'll have to use the dac1 as a size reference.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #17 of 39
nice amp... although I think it's quite dinky. even dinkier than Sleestack's tube-rectified SDS-XLR.
wink.gif

since we are comparing to MPX3's... here's a picture of mine. lol
http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...o=3970&cat=540

so... uh... congrats.
biggrin.gif
cannot wait to see the tube-rectified PSU. I would like to try one with my amp one day.

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
nice amp... although I think it's quite dinky. even dinkier than Sleestack's tube-rectified SDS-XLR.
wink.gif

so... uh... congrats.
biggrin.gif
cannot wait to see the tube-rectified PSU. I would like to try one with my amp one day.

LOL! While it's definitely bigger than the mpx3, it's not quite that much bigger, as the SDS-XLR is,
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #19 of 39
Already an amp upgrade? You're moving faster than me and I'm scaring myself already...
biggrin.gif
Congrats on the purchase, hope it brings you closer to the sound you want.

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
wink.gif

so... uh... congrats.
biggrin.gif

That SDS-XLR is insane. I think the MPX3 is pretty big already.

How much empty space is there inside those cases?

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #23 of 39
Hearing a balanced Supra at a meet is the reason I decided to upgrade from my maxed MPX3 to an SDS-XLR. Great choice.

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #24 of 39
Beautiful amp! I am looking forward to hearing a Supra for the first time in Tampa next month. I would love to hear a balanced Supra. I heard the SDS/XLR at the last Florida meet (not enough time spent with it). I enjoyed the sound but thought it was so far out of my price range, that I would never own one. It's nice to see there is a tube alternative that, while expensive I'm sure, is probably closer in price to some of the solid state alternatives.

Oct 22, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
Already an amp upgrade? You're moving faster than me and I'm scaring myself already...
biggrin.gif
Congrats on the purchase, hope it brings you closer to the sound you want.

Yes, I am scaring myself too
blink.gif
. But I am definitely closer to the sound I want. As a matter of fact, I think I might almost be there. Now I just need to work on my transport....
evil_smiley.gif

I could continue to gush about this amp, but I'll hold off for now. Suffice it to say as I was listening to some Kings of Leon last night, hearing the rattling of the snare drum in the background and its reverberation off of the studio walls made me feel like I was at the recording session.
600smile.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
It's nice to see there is a tube alternative that, while expensive I'm sure, is probably closer in price to some of the solid state alternatives.

Not the only one.
smily_headphones1.gif

woodcans:
Congrats. Very nice amp.
How much is the weight?
TIA

Oct 22, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #27 of 39
Wow those SP amps are really huge, easily exceeding some speaker amp sizes. Such large capacitors are hard to find even in speaker amps actually.
Congratulations and enjoy!!!

Oct 23, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans
Well, I sent my maxed out MPX3 back to Mikhail about 6 weeks ago in search of a more open soundstage and more 'speaker-like' experience. Not that I was displeased in any way with my MPX3. Quite the contrary - that amplifier was, until now, the best audio purchase I had ever made. It rejuvinated my Senn 650's and completely redefined my take on high end audio. To say the least it brought me back to the music and in turn allowed me to appreciate significant differences in cables, sources etc. For better or worse, hehe.
600smile.gif

The first half of my Supra XLR shipment arrived early this week. And boy, what a package accompanied the unit. A custom made crate using particle board, 2x4's and lots of screws. As I told Mikhail, this was the first piece of equipment I have ever had to unscrew to gain access to.

Needless to say the amp arrived in perfect condition without a scratch. Not surprising, given the large amount of bubble wrap, wood etc. that was protecting it.

The first thing I noticed was the size and weight. This amp is huge ! I, for some reason, assumed it would be of similar dimension to my MPX3. Maybe this was based upon the pics on the SP website. Boy, was I wrong. The Supra is much, much larger than the MPX3. The caps on this thing are easily larger than a 12oz. can of soda!!!

The next thing I noticed was the beauty of the unit. The chasis, layout, and tube lineup just scream quality and artistic design.

After admiring this piece or a bit, I finally plugged in 4 Sylv. 6sn7w's and 2 TS RP's and got down to business. At this point, I was expecting an upgrade to my MPX3. What I got was more than an upgrade. This experience, while in the same family as the mpx3 is on a completely different level. The amount of detail, treble extension and instrument seperation is phenomenal. To be perfectly honest, I never even considered this level of reproduction was possible. The lack of noise and completely black, black background is really indescribable for someone, like me, who has never experienced fidelity on this level. The soundstage is phenomenal. I find myself looking to the left, right, and behind me to see where all these sounds are coming from. Additionally, there are layers of musical texture and instrumental detail that I thought were only fodder for high end audio magazines. This thing is incredible!!

Up next: tuberolling and the addition of the tube-rectified power supply.

woodcans.

Congrats on a wonderful amp!!! I know I felt (meaning heard) the same things you are when going from my SDS to SDS-XLR. Have fun!
icon10.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
Not the only one.
smily_headphones1.gif

woodcans:
Congrats. Very nice amp.
How much is the weight?
TIA

I haven't put it on the scale myself, but Fedex weighed it in at 48 lbs. That included the crate, which I would estimate at ~3 lbs., leaving the amp at a healthy 45 lbs.
basshead.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Wow those SP amps are really huge, easily exceeding some speaker amp sizes. Such large capacitors are hard to find even in speaker amps actually.
Congratulations and enjoy!!!

I actually contemplated going with the massive SDS caps, but they were a bit too much $$. It was quite hard to resist those towering beasts, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back