SinglePower SDS-XLR VS Apex Pinnacle
Aug 3, 2010 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheGhostWhoWalks

500+ Head-Fier
I know this is a long shot since both amps are out of the price ranges of the vast majority of people on here, but I was wondering if anyone had compared them. I currently have a (broke, atm) SDS-XLR that I've been considering sending in to get fixed and perhaps upgraded. One reason I've never considered selling is because I've yet to experience any amp that can even come close to the SDS-XLR in performance, but I recently found out about the Apex Pinnacle and it certainly looks impressive, especially since the previous model was so highly regarded. Basically, has anyone here heard both?

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 7
^ Nobody?

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 7
I currently am auditioning the Pinnacle, I have owned the SDS XLR but only for a few days (it broke) and its been at least 2 years since I've heard the amp so I can't truly give honest comparisons.  I also own the TTVJ 307a

I will follow up with a review of the amp.  

I am confident that the build quality is superior to Single Power in every way AND the sound is just breathtaking.  While I cannot give honest comparisons without hearing both amps side by side, I don't feel afraid to make the assertion that The Pinnacle is amongst the best sounding amps I've ever heard, and right now I'd say the best I've ever heard, this is only just a few hours after listening for the first time so I need a lot more time to understand the amp's signature and give a full review.  But I can say without hesitation that the amp would be a very satisfying investment for someone who is willing to spend 10k on an amp.....it is far more worthy of the price tag than any Single Power amp in my opinion because it is clearly well built and the sound is above and beyond what I truly expect from an amp.  I don't recall even in my first listen of the SP amp ever enjoying it to the extent of the Pinnacle.   I find this amp quite different sounding from the 307a by the way, which was also designed by Pete Millett as is the Pinnacle.  Both amps have incredible strengths while at the same time being very different to me.  The Pinnacle feels more musical on the whole, in a way I don't ever recall experiencing from any amp.  

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 7
Build quality on the Apex is stunning. Sound quality is stunning too.

You already know about the build quality of the singlepower amps.

Even if you had both of these amps side by side, it would be very hard to
compare, because one is an OTL amp, and the other is single ended transformer
output. So the sound is going to be way different. And the sound would change
depending on whether you use low or high impedance headphones.

In this range another amp to consider would be the Balancing Act.
Also a single ended transformer based design.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 7
It's nice to see some recent posts in this thread. I just recently got my SDS-XLR back and am in the process of cleaning up and rearranging my listening area. It may still be a while before I get everything setup and contact Todd about auditioning/demoing the Pinnacle. I realize they are quite different amps, but hopefully I can listen carefully enough to, at least, determine some of the characteristics of the Pinnacle compared to the SDS-XLR, as well as ultimately decide which is better suited to my tastes and needs. One obvious problem for me if I end up preferring the Pinnacle is being able to sell my SDS-XLR. I've already run into problems selling high-end audio and other products (like guitars) in this economy.

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 7
You can buy the BA with various different tube combinations.  So if you know what you want already
then you can customise it. The problem is knowing what you want. And since i've seen enough
military equipment from the 1930's and 1940's the retro look of the BA complete with the bumped
out air vents, and the silver buttons for the volume knob are just way cool. And the 40khz filament
supply is a very nice touch.

On the other hand the Apex is built by Petes own hands.

I would have no trouble living with either of these amplifiers.  But it sure would be easier to have both.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back