Singlepower SDS SLAM First Impressions
Sep 2, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Now you need to hear your amp with 6bl7gt's on the outputs running @400 volts

i wish i hadn't read your post and description, although I'd think any further "increase" in dynamics would not feel natural.
basshead.gif

what tubes do you recommend? and are they common (where can I get them)

Is there a 6bl7gt adapter? I've got an mpx3 slam with 6cg7/5687 tube combination.

Sep 3, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #17 of 22
I actually am in the opposite situation: my Supra XLR has the 400v option and I have only tried it with the high voltage 6bl7, although I have rolled several 6SN7 as gain.
It does sound exactly as Earl describe it above. I was wandering wether would be worth getting the 5687 adapter. Considering that it is quite a big investment in a balanced model. I can hardly imagine how it could sound better than it does now, but one never knows...
From what I read in this thread I assume that the 6bl7 is considered a better output solution than the 5687. Is that correct?

Sep 3, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #18 of 22
ssingh0, there is no 6BL7 adapter, it uses the same socket as the 6sn7. However, there are different electrical requirements needed to run it optimally; your MPX3 will probably be able to run it fine, but the tubes are best when run at a significantly higher voltage, which woudl require modifications to your amps.

Vic, I would assume the 6BL7 is "better", but I hope to look at it like different flavors: roll the 5687 when I want an upfront presentation (jazz, maybe some rock), roll the 6BL7 when I want a spacious soundstage (other jazz, classical soundtrack, etc.)

Sep 3, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
I actually am in the opposite situation: my Supra XLR has the 400v option and I have only tried it with the high voltage 6bl7, although I have rolled several 6SN7 as gain.
It does sound exactly as Earl describe it above. I was wandering wether would be worth getting the 5687 adapter. Considering that it is quite a big investment in a balanced model. I can hardly imagine how it could sound better than it does now, but one never knows...
From what I read in this thread I assume that the 6bl7 is considered a better output solution than the 5687. Is that correct?

I have had the chance to listen to the SDS-XLR with the high voltage 6bl7 and then with adapters to the 5687. I got to hear it both as a headphone amp and preamp. I would not worry about getting the adapters if you already have your amp set up for high voltage 6bl7s. They offer everything the 5687 does and with better sonics. I dont even think it comes down to different flavors. The 6sn7/5687 is wonderful, the 6sn7/6bl7 is even better. I would guess you would get little to no use of the 5687 tubes if you are already using the 6bl7.

Sep 3, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #20 of 22
Thanks Mateo and Tom for the replies.
For the time being I will stick to the 6bl7 and 6bx7 as output and keep rolling 6sn7 as gain. With the money I save from the adapter I can maybe get an Oritek-X2 XLR interconnect that I really like and maybe balance my L3000.

Sep 3, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Thanks Mateo and Tom for the replies.
For the time being I will stick to the 6bl7 and 6bx7 as output and keep rolling 6sn7 as gain. With the money I save from the adapter I can maybe get an Oritek-X2 XLR interconnect that I really like and maybe balance my L3000.

I would balance those L3000. Take advantage of that amp you have.
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #22 of 22
Vic,

According to Mikhail and Earl, the 6bl7 has the advantage of both 5687 and 6SN7. I would recommend you to balance your L3000 as they might sound even better. I plan to get the high voltage + blackgates options for my SDS toward the end of the year.

Purk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back