Singlepower SDS SLAM First Impressions
Aug 21, 2006 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22
Purk came over this weekend with some 6sn7 -> 5687 tube adaptors. This is the first time I've heard my SDS "SLAM"-ified. With the stock trio 6sn7 configuration, the SDS was easily the best amp I'd heard with the Audio Technica L3000 (my setup of choice), Sennheiser 600/650, and RS1/RS2/HF1. However, other headphones, though still sounding great, were driven better with other amps. In particular I felt the W2002 and W11jpn matched better with the Audio Technica HA2002, the K340 with the Berning microZOTL, and the Grado HP2 with the Melos SHA-Gold Reference or microZOTL. In summary:

* HP2 lacked power, tightness, and well, slam. significant but euphonic distortion at higher volume levels
* W2002/W11jpn midrange was significantly more transparent on the HA2002 (though SDS had more bass). Traditional w2002 bad synergy (hard midrange, lack of bass punch?) with many pop & rock recordings that I'd not heard any amp, even the HA2002, fully rectify.
* K340 was a bit too dry and fast - lacked the warm romantic sound I prefer to hear from it

My audition Saturday afternoon involved the Sony SCD-1 (that I've compared many times to my G08 so I feel I have a handle on its signature), SDS w/ SLAM adaptors, Sylvania 5687's, my favored TungSol round plate 6sn7 driver tube, W2002, L3000, and HP2. I got the impression that the issues driving the HP2 and W2002 were SOLVED and then some with these adaptors. I also preferred the L3000 with this configuration (a bit of a surprise). I can see why some claim the 5687's give up some soundstage - they did sound a bit more forward. The increase in bass slam and dynamics was well worth it, IMO. The difference on the HP2 and W2002 was night and day. I think this is the first time I've heard the w2002 come alive and sound as dynamic as this - perhaps the real problem is that they need to be woken up.

These differences were not at all subtle, they were in your face. The difference between the SCD1 and G08 is minute by comparison. Yes, the gain in SLAM mode is higher, but we adjusted the volume knob down for this. The SDS was already my favorite amp - the SLAM configuration could widen the margin further. Dynamics is higher on my priority list than soundstage size, so keep that in mind
biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to getting my own pair of adaptors from Mikhail very soon
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Purk came over this weekend with some 6sn7 -> 5687 tube adaptors. This is the first time I've heard my SDS "SLAM"-ified.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Mul..good notes.

Will keep this in mind
cool.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Purk came over this weekend with some 6sn7 -> 5687 tube adaptors. This is the first time I've heard my SDS "SLAM"-ified. With the stock trio 6sn7 configuration, the SDS was easily the best amp I'd heard with the Audio Technica L3000 (my setup of choice), Sennheiser 600/650, and RS1/RS2/HF1. However, other headphones, though still sounding great, were driven better with other amps. In particular I felt the W2002 and W11jpn matched better with the Audio Technica HA2002, the K340 with the Berning microZOTL, and the Grado HP2 with the Melos SHA-Gold Reference or microZOTL. In summary:

* HP2 lacked power, tightness, and well, slam. significant but euphonic distortion at higher volume levels
* W2002/W11jpn midrange was significantly more transparent on the HA2002 (though SDS had more bass). Traditional w2002 bad synergy (hard midrange, lack of bass punch?) with many pop & rock recordings that I'd not heard any amp, even the HA2002, fully rectify.
* K340 was a bit too dry and fast - lacked the warm romantic sound I prefer to hear from it

My audition Saturday afternoon involved the Sony SCD-1 (that I've compared many times to my G08 so I feel I have a handle on its signature), SDS w/ SLAM adaptors, Sylvania 5687's, my favored TungSol round plate 6sn7 driver tube, W2002, L3000, and HP2. I got the impression that the issues driving the HP2 and W2002 were SOLVED and then some with these adaptors. I also preferred the L3000 with this configuration (a bit of a surprise). I can see why some claim the 5687's give up some soundstage - they did sound a bit more forward. The increase in bass slam and dynamics was well worth it, IMO. The difference on the HP2 and W2002 was night and day. I think this is the first time I've heard the w2002 come alive and sound as dynamic as this - perhaps the real problem is that they need to be woken up.

These differences were not at all subtle, they were in your face. The difference between the SCD1 and G08 is minute by comparison. Yes, the gain in SLAM mode is higher, but we adjusted the volume knob down for this. The SDS was already my favorite amp - the SLAM configuration could widen the margin further. Dynamics is higher on my priority list than soundstage size, so keep that in mind
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Nice impessions mulveling.
cool.gif
Now you need to hear your amp with 6bl7gt's on the outputs running @400 volts. Add back in the original soundstage size .... and an increase for good measure. Add back in the slightly fuller tonality and less forward midrange of the 6sn7. Add more bass extension, bass weight and bass slam. Increase dynamic contrast, speed and dynamic range and well .... you have the Supra SLAM SE.
basshead.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
you have the Supra SLAM SE.
basshead.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

cool.gif
Now you need to hear your amp with 6bl7gt's on the outputs running @400 volts. Add back in the original soundstage size .... and an increase for good measure. Add back in the slightly fuller tonality and less forward midrange of the 6sn7. Add more bass extension, bass weight and bass slam. Increase dynamic contrast, speed and dynamic range and well .... you have the Supra SLAM SE.
basshead.gif

I think that emoticon was *created* just for that description. It was exactly what I was picturing while I was reading that
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 22
I'm glad the adaptors worked out so well for you guys. The fact that they take already great amps to an even greater level makes the small amount paid seem like quite a deal!

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

cool.gif
basshead.gif

Hi Earl,
Purk's going with your suggestions on that, and I know I'll want to follow suit after his gets back from the upgrade. In the meantime I'll enjoy the simple SLAM adaptors.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I'm glad the adaptors worked out so well for you guys. The fact that they take already great amps to an even greater level makes the small amount paid seem like quite a deal!
Yesterday 11:21 PM

Hey Tom,
We both were really surprised at the improvement, and had the exact same thoughts about what an incredible deal these amps were
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

cool.gif
basshead.gif

Earl, when my Supra XLR gets here, you and me gotta have a long, long talk. The tube options/combos are almost too much...but I can't wait!

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Earl, when my Supra XLR gets here, you and me gotta have a long, long talk. The tube options/combos are almost too much...but I can't wait!

If it's like my experience so far with the single ended SDS, it'll blow you away outta the box, and there's still lots of room to grow. Great investment. Congrats!

Much as I love my old chassis, I always was charmed by the glossy black finish of the newer amps; maybe a 2nd Singlepower is in my future down the road
cool.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #10 of 22
The only downsides of the 5687 are a less airy sound and an increased gain which could be a problem if you have a higher than average output CD player.

Aug 23, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 22
Can't belive I missed this thread anyway. I really like the SLAM adapter. The increased in dynamics and more precise soundstage is definitely a step up. I still couldn't believe that my SDS can still get better.

Earl & Tom,

The R10s, JVC DX-1000, and Qualias are here. The R10 is amazing especially in a vocal department. Hearing an R10 sings "light my fire" by Barber was such a great experience.

Sep 2, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 22
I've now got my own SLAM adaptors with Tung Sol D-getter 5687's, handed to me by Mikhail himself
biggrin.gif

Upon futher listening, my fondness of these adaptors has continued to grow. The new Singlepower adaptors with Tung-Sols sound even better than what I'd first heard (non-Singlepower adaptors w/ Sylvanias). The SDS Slam fully synergizes with *every* low impedance (<= 70 ohms) headphone I've tried: Qualias, L3000, DX1000, HP2, W2002. All sound incredible. I don't use any high impedance headphones these days, so I've not really noticed a decrease in air and soundstage. Just greatly increased speed and incredible impact.

Even after hearing a truly maxed-out SDS-XLR with balanced R10s, I'm still fully satisfied with my setup! Before the adaptors, the stock SDS was the best overall amp I'd heard but stuff like the Melos SHA-Gold Ref and microZOTL could get pretty close - and even beat the SDS on certain cans (HP2, W2002/HA2002). Now they can't touch the SDS Slam - blown out of the water, as good as they are. It's hard to listen to the microZOTL now. Dollar for dollar, this is easily the best electronics upgrade I've experienced. Owners/lovers of Singlepower and low impedance headphones: Get these adaptors!

Sep 2, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW

get ready to give up your entire evening!

Early really loves to talk
wink.gif
, his passion for audio and tubes is inspiring...haha...what a GREAT guy!

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 22
Earl is great. He is person who convinced me to purchase the SLAM adapter. I couldn't believe how much tube info he was splitting out during our conversation. Earl, I really like the SLAM adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back