Singlepower MPX3 vs. Extreme: My Impressions
Mar 6, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by panyncor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
F. Lo,

Would you mind giving some background on the SLAM Extreme? I'm accustomed to "SLAM" referring to 5687 output tubes, which I wouldn't think (but then what do I know?) the Extreme could handle, since it's optimized for the 6080 type tube.

Not that I'm in the market (Lord help me) -- just curious.

The SLAM Extreme was an offer I received from Singlepower when I inquired about the Platinum. Here is some extract of the replies Ive got :-

Quote:-

"The Platinum has the following features over the SLAM - Black Gate power caps, and Plitron transformer. The SLAM has the 14 Amp transformer and Black Gate cathode caps (also on the platinum), and a texture control that the Platinum does not.

... from another reply from SP :

The SLAM Extreme has more than adequate amounts of power to drive the power hungry headphones that you have as well as the finesse for something like the 650's. The texture control is going to give you better control of the bass on the headphones that tend to over accentuate such as the GS1K. There are also a very nice assortment of tubes that can be used to match the requirements of each headphone.

Unquote"

Actually, I am also confused about the "SLAM" notation used for Singlepower amps, and have asked this question in another thread. I am still not decided....

Regards,
F. Lo

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #17 of 31
If the SLAM concept is still unclear to you. Perhaps this thread will offer, at least, a background.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114582&

The executive summery is as follows.

The SLAM designation is about the use of the impact-full 5687 tube, hence the name “slam”. It is usually only used as out-put tube. The original SLAM amplifiers (first the PPX3 SLAM and later the MPX3 SLAM) had some minor circuit adjustments, capacitor upgrades and a circuit feedback adjustment potentiometer: A so called "texture adjuster". Today, the SLAM feature is a matter of using tube-socket adaptor(s) instead, different one's depending on noval or octal original sockets. AFAIK, these adaptors can be used on almost all SP models. Needless to say, you will not get a texture adjuster with a non-SLAM amplifier, unless you order it specifically. AFAIK, factory made, permanent SLAM models are still made.

Here is a list of Singlepower models. Note, it is not official, but put together by me without any input from Singlepower Audio Inc.

Good luck.

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #18 of 31
I would like to toss into the equation the idea that the Extreme drives K1000s really well. If you have K1000s this amp is a true winner because it will drive both conventional HPs and K1000s to very happy levels, a task that few amps can accomplish and certainly not in this price range. (~$1000)

My experience is with HD650s and K1000s. I have tried my HD650s with the Extreme but the K1000s are so much more open and clear sounding in comparison that I seldom use the 650s. I have stock cables with both HPs.

I am currently using the "standard" Extreme with a Tungsol 2C51 and a pair of the Bendix 6080WBs.

Best,

Paul
k1000smile.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the SLAM concept is still unclear to you. Perhaps this thread will offer, at least, a background.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114582&

The executive summery is as follows.

The SLAM designation is about the use of the impact-full 5687 tube, hence the name “slam”. It is usually only used as out-put tube. The original SLAM amplifiers (first the PPX3 SLAM and later the MPX3 SLAM) had some minor circuit adjustments, capacitor upgrades and a circuit feedback adjustment potentiometer: A so called "texture adjuster". Today, the SLAM feature is a matter of using tube-socket adaptor(s) instead, different one's depending on noval or octal original sockets. AFAIK, these adaptors can be used on almost all SP models. Needless to say, you will not get a texture adjuster with a non-SLAM amplifier, unless you order it specifically. AFAIK, factory made, permanent SLAM models are still made.

Here is a list of Singlepower models. Note, it is not official, but put together by me without any input from Singlepower Audio Inc.

Good luck.

Many many thanks, Glod, this clears up a lot. And thanks also for the link - most help in helping me picking one. BTW, I notice you folks talk about retail price of Singlepower. Will members here have some priviledge ?

F. Lo

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many many thanks, Glod, this clears up a lot. And thanks also for the link - most help in helping me picking one. BTW, I notice you folks talk about retail price of Singlepower. Will members here have some priviledge ?

F. Lo

Not sure what you mean by "privilege". If you're talking about some kind of Head Fi discount I don't think there is one. The retail prices are what they are.

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

F. Lo

Glad you got helped.

I think Singlepower stopped mentioning prices on their site because basically all orders are made to measure, more or less; most customers probably pick several options, and/or, Mikhail customizes the amps in such a way that an official list price gets misleading.

You can certainly buy a Singlepower off the shelf. But I think you should look at this product as a made to measure suit. Treat your self by calling Mikhail directly and let him help you pick an amplifier that suits you.
smily_headphones1.gif

There is no price privilege for Head-Fi members AFAIK. The privilege is that we know of headphone amplifier builders like Mikhail, HeadAmp, Meier Audio, Norbert Lehmann, Ray Samuels Audio, Tyll Hertsens, Eddie Current, among others.

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

F. Lo

You missed a pre-order price break by this much..... (a little over a month for the extreme). There are some MPX3s on the sale forum from time to time as people upgrade (often with xtra tubes). SP may have some as trade-ins as well. A few emails might get you a better price on a "burned in" unit.

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mourip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to toss into the equation the idea that the Extreme drives K1000s really well. If you have K1000s this amp is a true winner because it will drive both conventional HPs and K1000s to very happy levels, a task that few amps can accomplish and certainly not in this price range. (~$1000)

My experience is with HD650s and K1000s. I have tried my HD650s with the Extreme but the K1000s are so much more open and clear sounding in comparison that I seldom use the 650s. I have stock cables with both HPs.

I am currently using the "standard" Extreme with a Tungsol 2C51 and a pair of the Bendix 6080WBs.

Best,

Paul
k1000smile.gif

Paul,

I've only listened to the K1000's once, during a meet, and was very intrigued (although the price is a bit intimidating). Pardon the naive question, but how do you plug them into the Extreme? Some kind of 1/4-inch adapter, I assume. If so, how simple/expensive is it?

Thanks,
Chris

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But, when I was experimenting I put a TS 2c51 in the MPX3 with the 6bl7-6bx7 output tubes and I was completely taken back how good the MPX3 can sound. In fact, the MPX3 with this tube combo is absolutely stunning.

As always, Earl, thanks for sharing. Great insights.

But why must you torment me? Here I am with my find finally made up to sell my MPX and keep the Extreme -- and then I read this.
eek.gif
I mean, I could do some more experimenting.
evil_smiley.gif

Must Not
Change Mind
Again
Must Not . . .

-- Chris

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #25 of 31
Resistance is futile
biggrin.gif
I ordered the 2c51 adapter and tubes, along with 6Bl7GTA output tubes from Mikhail few days ago. I should be getting that along with my "Toaster" MPX3 tormorrow. I can't wait
tongue.gif

Quote:

As always, Earl, thanks for sharing. Great insights.

But why must you torment me? Here I am with my find finally made up to sell my MPX and keep the Extreme -- and then I read this.
eek.gif
I mean, I could do some more experimenting.
evil_smiley.gif

Must Not
Change Mind
Again
Must Not . . .

-- Chris

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You missed a pre-order price break by this much..... (a little over a month for the extreme). There are some MPX3s on the sale forum from time to time as people upgrade (often with xtra tubes). SP may have some as trade-ins as well. A few emails might get you a better price on a "burned in" unit.

Yeah! I did contact try to asking SP but no luck. As I am from a 220V region it is not always easy to get a good, used one. I do plan to raise some fund selling some of my stuff, and hopefully can land on an SLAM Extreme in the not too distant future this year. The only hesitation is that the SLAM Extreme is fixed configuration - no options, no customisation.

Thanks for all the good advices and sharing. Very appreciated.

F. Lo

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #27 of 31
I also have too much gain in my SP MPX3 SLAM SE as a preamp for the McAlister PP-130 ( a smaller PP-150), and I am using 3 6SN7s!

I wonder if it's possible for Mikhail to add a variable gain, or have two differnt gain output levels for both the preamp and headphones?

What do you think?

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have too much gain in my SP MPX3 SLAM SE as a preamp for the McAlister PP-130 ( a smaller PP-150), and I am using 3 6SN7s!

I wonder if it's possible for Mikhail to add a variable gain, or have two differnt gain output levels for both the preamp and headphones?

What do you think?

Most amps these days have such sensitive input stages they can be driven to full output with less than 0.5 volt input. 6SN7's are medium mu triodes and actually have a strong voltage output. Having a volume pot or attenuator with a high attenuation is probably the best solutiuon to obtain more volume range. If you start messing with the tubes operation to lower gain you almost guarentee you will be compromising the tubes sound quality and/ or linearity.

http://www.nj7p.org/Tube4.php?tube=6SN7GT

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #29 of 31
This is what I got from Mikhail (email) recently regarding to The Extreme,

Quote:

The Extreme Slam model is available. It is produced in 2 different models, the platinum and stock model, We have the 14 amp transformer available as well for higher power output:

Extreme platinum
Extreme 14 amp version
Extreme amplifier

I think what he meant is the "Slam" can be ungraded from either the platinum or stock model.

He latter added on the phone regarding to the three basic models, the 14 amp version has more power delivering to the output tubes and headphone, then leads to a bigger soundstage and more impact to the sound. The platinum is the best of all three in terms of power, detail, resolution and soundstage. For me, the platinum sounds to be worth the double price.

I was confused by their models as well. But this is how I learn from Singlepower recently. People can really customize whatever they want from them. So forget about models and think about what you really want.

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Paul,

I've only listened to the K1000's once, during a meet, and was very intrigued (although the price is a bit intimidating). Pardon the naive question, but how do you plug them into the Extreme? Some kind of 1/4-inch adapter, I assume. If so, how simple/expensive is it?

Thanks,
Chris

The K1000s terminate with a 4 pin XLR connector. I just built a relatively short adaptor to go from 1/4" plug to female XLR. I used Mogami cable and it sounds fine. I lucked out when I bought my phones. They were used, in good shape, and cost about $400. I like them so much that I am going to prowl around and try to find another pair as a backup...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back