Singlepower MPX3 vs Emmeline II The Raptor
Jun 11, 2005 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

morphie

1000+ Head-Fier
Could someone do a short comparison please? I'm looking to buy either amps, and as they both cost about the same I am not sure which amp would be more suitable for my setup (look in signature). It would be something like:

Audiophile USB coaxial out-->Blue Dragon Digital coaxial cable--->Benchmark DAC-1--->Silver ICs(or copper ones, what do u think is better?)--->Tube amp??--->SA5000/sr325i

Any thoughts and opinion will be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 60
I'm also interested in this comparison -- also extended to the Supra if morphie doesn't mind. And if anybody could compare input to output signal... that would be the ideal case (for rating neutrality).
icon10.gif

peacesign.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 60
That would indeed be an interesting review to read: Two very popular tube amps, roughly, in the same price range (except from the Supra).

However, I don’t know if I (we) would like to see the discussion afterwards. This comparison is potentially inflammable matter. A pity really.
frown.gif

Meanwhile, there was an external review at 6 moons of the MPX3, to some extend compared to the Stealth.

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
This may get ugly.

Not to worry...big brother and his kinfolk are watching.

There is NO REASON that this discussion ought to get ugly, if everyone behaves like adults. That doesn't mean it won't, but it need not. Oh well...

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 60
lol, sorry for starting this but I really need to make a decision here and both amps seem very very good. I'm not asking which is better, but which would please me and be more synergic in my setup, this outta not start too much fighting hopefully :p

I am not looking for detail or speed, I would like a very tubish sounding tube amp which would be synergic with my setup. An amp which sounds really good for Jazz especially. Tubes opinions are also very welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
There is NO REASON that this discussion ought to get ugly, if everyone behaves like adults. That doesn't mean it won't, but it need not. Oh well...

Tom, that is one giant "if" but at least we know your watching.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 60
I have had the opportunity to hear the Raptor on a number of occasions and I have enjoyed it immensely as has recstar24 here

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113991

and at 6mooms

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/raptor/raptor.html

I would not characterize the Raptor as "tubey". To me tubey means that you are altering the sound rather than amplifying the source signal. I have an old Fisher tube amp that is an excellent example of this. It is a pleasure to listen to but the sound is not true to the source at all. I enjoy it for a while but after some listening the coloration annoys me. For my ears the difference between a great tube amp and a great solid state one should be barely perceptible. If the differences jump out at you and are that easily noticed I personally feel that the music has been adulterated. The Raptor is very well built and requires no changes from the base configuration to sound its best.

You will find that there are people here that swear by each of the amps you mention. The key IMO is to really think about what you want from an amp long term aside from all the hype and buy accordingly. When it is all said and done it is just you and the music so choose with that in mind.

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
That would indeed be an interesting review to read: Two very popular tube amps, roughly, in the same price range (except from the Supra).

However, I don’t know if I (we) would like to see the discussion afterwards. This comparison is potentially inflammable matter. A pity really.
frown.gif

Meanwhile, there was an external review at 6 moons of the MPX3, to some extend compared to the Stealth.

Here are a couple Supra reviews to go along with the MPX3 review mentioned above.
http://www.soundstage.com/allinyourh...head200410.htm
http://www.positive-feedback.com/issue15/supra.htm

If they dont go through (I cant get through to the positive feedback review except by googling) you can just google Singlepower Supra and a bunch of reviews will come up. Good luck.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
You will find that there are people here that swear by each of the amps you mention. The key IMO is to really think about what you want from an amp long term aside from all the hype and buy accordingly. When it is all said and done it is just you and the music so choose with that in mind.

Yes I know what I want from the amp I want, but I dont know exactly what these two amps offer and thus I ask for people's opinions, even if exaggerated or one sided, and then judge accordingly... Without people's thoughts it is kind of hard though. The more information the better opinion I'll get of the product, I found this method to work quite well for me.

That aside, thanks for the help, reviews will be read
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 60
You need to get a headfier who has these amps. Someone who buys other amps besides these. THey will be the headifiers who would best able to comment as they have no affiliation with any manufacturer.

It is always to read the negatives as this will prove to give more information. Example. When a headfier claims his amp is warm and it's not to his/her taste's then I pretty know that it might be for me.

I have never heard a Singlepower amp, it might be worth checking out. But I don't think it is possible to post without having a major incident on these forums. There's too much history and still a lot of resentment.

Actually I know of a headfier nearish to me. He has a lot of Singlepower amps. I might see if he would lend me one for a short time. Then to repay the favour, send him my Raptor.

I am curious about Singlepower amps and he is curious about Ray Samuels amps.

It will be worthwhile just for my own impressions anyway.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 60
Yep, I'm done reading those reviews and I think the MPX3 with all upgrades is what I'm gonna go for. I want the coloration of tubes, my solid state setup is doing great, neutral, detailled, fast... But that's not too great for Jazz. I want a lusher sound, colored is fine as long as it sounds good. The MPX3 seems to excel in this area, so I think its the best choice for me.

The only thing I'll regret is the raptor's looks. That is one sexy amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
The only thing I'll regret is the raptor's looks. That is one sexy amp
smily_headphones1.gif

The Raptor certainly has the looks. I too really like the proportions, colour scheme, fonts used and the fact that it has an external PSU.

However, I don’t think a MPX3 with the popular options, will disappoint you based on the sonic and music preferences you stated. But, I wouldn’t describe my MPX3 as tubey, as in overly warm, euphonic and with weak or mushy bass. But, for the record, in comparison to an e.g. HeadAmp GS-1, it clearly has a tube signature: That magic which is so difficult to describe
icon10.gif

When it comes to the MPX3 sound signature, it all comes down to the tubes used. It will not be a night-and-day difference, but still a very clear differences between different tube combinations. There has been a lot written about tuberolling a MPX3, and adhoc´s sticky has all you need to get started in your own rolling. Start reading and dreaming!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back