Singlepower Extreme vs. PPX3-SLAM-6SN7
Jul 29, 2007 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

John D.

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying another amp. Singlepower is one manufacturer I'm considering.
Can someone shed some light on the differences in these two versions?
I see on the Singlepower web page, there are 4 different basic configurations on the
PPX chassis. What factors should be considered when trying to decide which version to select.
Also would like to know the difference between the PPX3-SLAM-6SN7 and non SLAM units.
Decisions - Decisions!

Thanks,
JD
icon10.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 10
Disregard the website it hasn't been updated in 3+ years...

PPX3:This amp uses 6CG7 tubes which are cheap ane easy to come by but it is outperformed by the 6SN7 variant in almost everyway. No one actually buys this amp anymore.
icon10.gif

PPX3-6SN7:An amp with a smooth detailed sound, will improve with tube rolling and can be converted into a slam with tube adapters (99 each, need two)
PPX3 Slam:This amp uses (I believe) 6SN7 on the input and 5687 on the output. Fun, punchy sound, with lots of current great for low impedence cans.

Extreme:Uses 6SN7 input and 5998/6080 output tubes. If I had to describe it briefly, it sounds like the Slam with a much bigger soundstage and maybe a bit of a detail trade off (maybe).

My reccommendation:
Either extreme, or if you're into tube rolling, PPX3-6SN7 which can always be converted to a SLAM for 200 bucks, plus you can use all of Singlepowers other adapters.

Hope this helps.

Bernie

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the reply Bernie

I guess my question now is, with the EXTREME using the same 6SN7 tube as the Slam for input.
Does the EXTREME become, pretty much, THE choice in the PPX series ? with adapters and various tubes, for tube rolling.

anyone with an opinion ??

Thanks,
JD
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 10
If it provides some perspective, I have been listening to both my Extreme Platinum (RCA 5692 + RCA 6080) and MPX3 SLAM (RCA 5692 + TungSol 5687)and the differences are not that great.

Extreme Platinum - Greater head-stage and slightly deeper bass.
MPX3 SLAM - Warmer sounding

At this moment, I am inclined to believe that either can be rolled to a similar sound signature.

To get back to the OP's question, yes. It's ability to hold it's own against the MPX3 Slam should answer if the Extreme represents the pinnacle of the PPX range and more.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disregard the website it hasn't been updated in 3+ years...

PPX3:This amp uses 6CG7 tubes which are cheap ane easy to come by but it is outperformed by the 6SN7 variant in almost everyway. No one actually buys this amp anymore.
icon10.gif

PPX3-6SN7:An amp with a smooth detailed sound, will improve with tube rolling and can be converted into a slam with tube adapters (99 each, need two)
PPX3 Slam:This amp uses (I believe) 6SN7 on the input and 5687 on the output. Fun, punchy sound, with lots of current great for low impedence cans.

Extreme:Uses 6SN7 input and 5998/6080 output tubes. If I had to describe it briefly, it sounds like the Slam with a much bigger soundstage and maybe a bit of a detail trade off (maybe).

My reccommendation:
Either extreme, or if you're into tube rolling, PPX3-6SN7 which can always be converted to a SLAM for 200 bucks, plus you can use all of Singlepowers other adapters.

Hope this helps.

Bernie

just a clarification on the ppx3 series:

* the ppx3 slam comes with the 6cg7 for the input tube and 5687s on the output
* the ppx3 slam 6sn7 replaces the 6cg7 tube with a 6sn7.
* the non-slam versions either use all 6cg7s or all 6sn7s

if you buy one, make sure you get the one you want.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 10
I've got a PPX3 SLAM 6SN7 for sale in the for sale/trade forum if you're interested. Comes with extra tubes and Herbie Halos. Link in my sig. I normally dont plug my sales in regular threads but I've been trying to sell this thing for a while...

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 10
I wonder why the SP website has not been updated in years? It makes it hard to determine what amps are available with what features.

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks

Are they the only dealer for Single Power?

While that appears to be the case, I think you'd be best served by calling or emailing Singlepower directly, as they have a better understanding of their ampos and will be better suited to get you an amp that suits your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back