Singlepower Extreme - Standard vs Platinum
Jan 13, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, before you go don't forget to add a stepped attenuator to your order. It will be an improvement.

Hi,

My word, what is a stepped attenuator ? A volume thing ? Is it more desirable to have defined levels of increased volume as opposed to a stepless finely adjustable level control? Please tell why. Of course this may be an entire discussion of it's own. I assume that I still might be able to amend my order. Is stepped truly superior? and of course why?

Thanks!!

RA

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALLENR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

My word, what is a stepped attenuator ? A volume thing ? Is it more desirable to have defined levels of increased volume as opposed to a stepless finely adjustable level control? Please tell why. Of course this may be an entire discussion of it's own. I assume that I still might be able to amend my order. Is stepped truly superior? and of course why?

Thanks!!

RA

Yes, a stepped attenuator is a method for doing volume control as opposed to using a potentiometer. Normally, the advantages of a stereo stepped attenuator vs. a potentiometer are:
1. lower distortion.

2. constant balance between the channels at all volume settings. most potentiometers get pretty unbalanced at the two extremes of their ranges.

3. the ability to have custom attenuation curves.
The normal disadvantages are:
1. stepped attenuators generally cost more than potentiometers. i have seen a $1200 potentiometer that probably was as good as a stepped attenuator, but this is an exception to the rule. it wasn't in a piece of audio equipment so i'm just assuming that it was as good.

2. stepped attenuators have discrete steps where a potentiometer is "infinitely" variable. sometimes the volume you'd like is halfway between two steps.
Singlepower offers a Goldpoint stepped attenuator as an option for $229. I don't know if there is room for it in an Extreme. It must be very crowded inside the little PPX3 chassis. When I bought my PPX3 Slam, Mikhail suggested the Goldpoint and I got it. I've been very happy with it. I'm sure that there is time to add it to your order. I suggest you talk to Mikhail about whether it's available and what improvement it would bring to your Platinum.

Good luck with your decision. Remember, it's only money!
340smile.gif
It could be worse. We need a new car and my wife is dead set on a 2007 BMW X3. Now that's money!
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALLENR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Thanks!!

RA

You are correct this is a topic in itself .... there have been countless threads on this topic. A stepped attenuator is a series of resistors that set the volume instead of using a conductive plastic pot. Almost everyone agrees an attenuator is more transparent. But almost everyone also agrees the distinct steps are a pain when trying to set the volume just right. I have had both .... actually I have both now as my one Supra has a stepped attenuator. I still prefer a volume pot. I have to have just the right volume or I am not comfortable.

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are correct this is a topic in itself .... there have been countless threads on this topic. A stepped attenuator is a series of resistors that set the volume instead of using a conductive plastic pot. Almost everyone agrees an attenuator is more transparent. But almost everyone also agrees the distinct steps are a pain when trying to set the volume just right. I have had both .... actually I have both now as my one Supra has a stepped attenuator. I still prefer a volume pot. I have to have just the right volume or I am not comfortable.

Hey Earl,

I one of the minority that doesn't find a stepped attenuator to be a pain. Maybe you need to have Mikhail build you one with double the normal amount of steps. That might give you the best of both worlds.

BTW, don't you ever sleep???
blink.gif
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Earl,

I one of the minority that doesn't find a stepped attenuator to be a pain. Maybe you need to have Mikhail build you one with double the normal amount of steps. That might give you the best of both worlds.

BTW, don't you ever sleep???
blink.gif
wink.gif

If you get the taper right they will work well. I am just picky.
redface.gif

Sleep? When there are amps to listen to?
biggrin.gif

I moved a setup upstairs .... so now I can simultaneously head-fi and listen too.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back