Singlepower Extreme - Standard vs Platinum
Jan 7, 2007 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

ALLENR

New Head-Fier
Hello.
The time has come to make a choice between the two. I am not aware of any discussions of the merits of Platinum over the Standard. What would be realized in the Platinum that would be worth the premium? You all seem to be knowlegable, friendly and maniacally enthusiatic in your hobby, a great thing! Thanks for your help!!
RA

Jan 7, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 37
With the advantage of having heard neither, I can pontificate with certainty.
biggrin.gif

That said, when I talked to Mikhail about the sonic differences between the two, he emphasized an improved soundstage with the platinum.

Jan 7, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 37
I currently have a PPX3 Slam. It seems that a base Extreme would be more of a lateral step than an upgrade. So if I get an Extreme (I'm still waffleing
blink.gif
), it would have to be a Platinum version to justify doing it.
icon10.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALLENR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello.
The time has come to make a choice between the two. I am not aware of any discussions of the merits of Platinum over the Standard. What would be realized in the Platinum that would be worth the premium? You all seem to be knowlegable, friendly and maniacally enthusiatic in your hobby, a great thing! Thanks for your help!!
RA

Only one person had their Extreme until yesterday .... lucky me.
icon10.gif

I have compared my basically stock Extreme to other SP amps I own which have some of the upgardes. But I dont know what that necessarily tells you as the other amps have different configurations and the tubes used in the Extreme have a different sound that makes comparison difficult. Most people will never have both of the versions to compare, except for Mikhail @ SP, so you may never get more than a brief comparison between the two versions when they happen to be at a meet etc... But then again, maybe somebody will get both.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Moving on to attempt to answer your queston .... IMO .... what the Platinum gets you is possibly the best power transformer currently manufactured. The Plitrons are completely dead silent and very cool running. The Plitron is just a much higher quality power transformer .... and given the importance of the power supply in an amp this upgrades importance cant be overstated. Expect more detail and low level resolution with the Plitron .... which translates as a bigger more fleshed out soundstage and a more realistic tonality to voices and instruments. Before I forget, the Plitron has a higher amperage capacity compared the stock transformer as well.

I am quite familiar with blackgate cathode caps and these typically result in more speed and sharper leading edge transients. I have never had an amp with the blackgate output caps but I have been told when I inquired about this upgarde to expect more realism and improved dynamic contrasts. The Platinum upgrade also includes a tube socket adapter for the 6414 series of tubes. I also have no doubt you can sub the adapter of your choice if you choose to. Anyway, back to the adapter .... the adapters are a joy. The tube socket adapter lets you roll in numerous high quality nos tubes that are both inexpensive and readily available to fine tube the amp to your personal ideal. The 6414 adapter lets you use the 6414 .... and 12at7/ 12au7/ 12av7/ 5965/6829 7062 .... and even some others. The ability to use high quality nos tubes, particularly ones that are inexpensive, is another advantage that cant be overstated.

I have to admit as much as I am enjoying the stock Extreme, and make no mistake this is an absolutely a first rate amp, I kept wondering what I would be missing with the Platinum myself. So, I have a Platinum on the way.
redface.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to admit as much as I am enjoying the stock Extreme, and make no mistake this is an absolutely a first rate amp, I kept wondering what I would be missing with the Platinum myself. So, I have a Platinum on the way.
redface.gif

Well some one had to make the sacrifice.
wink.gif

Congrats!

Jan 7, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 37
Earl,is the platinum you're getting a stock one or does it have any more upgrades?

Jan 7, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earl,is the platinum you're getting a stock one or does it have any more upgrades?

Upgrades for the upgrades ....
blink.gif

Just kidding!
biggrin.gif

I asked for a lower gain at the input because I have a very high output source; that is not really an upgrade though. He might add a texture control instead so I can manipulate the gain with a minimal amount of feedback. So, stock it is .... unless he added a texture control or a loop out.

Jan 7, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Only one person had their Extreme until yesterday .... lucky me.
icon10.gif

I have compared my basically stock Extreme to other SP amps I own which have some of the upgardes. But I dont know what that necessarily tells you as the other amps have different configurations and the tubes used in the Extreme have a different sound that makes comparison difficult. Most people will never have both of the versions to compare, except for Mikhail @ SP, so you may never get more than a brief comparison between the two versions when they happen to be at a meet etc... But then again, maybe somebody will get both.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Moving on to attempt to answer your queston .... IMO .... what the Platinum gets you is possibly the best power transformer currently manufactured. The Plitrons are completely dead silent and very cool running. The Plitron is just a much higher quality power transformer .... and given the importance of the power supply in an amp this upgrades importance cant be overstated. Expect more detail and low level resolution with the Plitron .... which translates as a bigger more fleshed out soundstage and a more realistic tonality to voices and instruments. Before I forget, the Plitron has a higher amperage capacity compared the stock transformer as well.

I am quite familiar with blackgate cathode caps and these typically result in more speed and sharper leading edge transients. I have never had an amp with the blackgate output caps but I have been told when I inquired about this upgarde to expect more realism and improved dynamic contrasts. The Platinum upgrade also includes a tube socket adapter for the 6414 series of tubes. I also have no doubt you can sub the adapter of your choice if you choose to. Anyway, back to the adapter .... the adapters are a joy. The tube socket adapter lets you roll in numerous high quality nos tubes that are both inexpensive and readily available to fine tube the amp to your personal ideal. The 6414 adapter lets you use the 6414 .... and 12at7/ 12au7/ 12av7/ 5965/6829 7062 .... and even some others. The ability to use high quality nos tubes, particularly ones that are inexpensive, is another advantage that cant be overstated.

redface.gif

Earl,
I would be glad to leave mine (when received) for you to evaluate when I have a week in Cleveland, if interested. Only upgrade to my Platinum is the output Blackgate cap. Decided against a gain control and K1000 connections for now (don't own them yet). I'm interested in the transformer options and current demands. Love the look of that round transformer cover on Boomana's. Looking forward to pics from the meet.

Jan 7, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 37
Hi. I have heard the Extreme and now have the Platinum.
biggrin.gif
I cannot answer your question.

I listened to the stock Extreme at the Fl meet one month ago for quite some time, and was blown away by it's power (the K1000s sounded superb), it's speed and soundstage. I spent most of my time with R10s and the main source was a heavily modded Denon 2900. Though I didn't ask, I imagine that amp had a few burn-in hours on it.

My Extreme Platinum arrived yesterday. My source is an Eastern Electric MiniMax and I spent most of my time with headphiled K340s, though still love the K1000s with the amp. I can attest to the advantages Earl listed: there is great detail and huge soundstage. Jp numbers, at the meet today, said it was like the music was walking around you.

But is there a big difference? I don't know. I would need both amps in the same room side-by-side to to say. I do think that anyone who gets the stock Extreme will be happy. I know I'm really happy with my choice. I only wish I had time to listen this week (dang job) to get a real feel for what it can do.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 37
Boomana,

Sorry to hear about that thing called a job is getting in the way of your listening to the Extreme Platinum--and posting inpression to all of us out here waiting with bated breath.
orphsmile.gif

I have looked at your public profile, and it looks like you have experience with a fairly wide variety of popular amps. Once you do get a chance to listen to your heart's content, I'd (and I'm sure many others) would love to hear your impressions of the Platinum in comparison with some of the other amps you own, or have owned. The Platinum is obviously at a higher price point than the others in your profile. Is it truly a step or two above what you have heard and so worth the price differential?

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

IMO .... what the Platinum gets you is possibly the best power transformer currently manufactured.

WOW
blink.gif
Now that's a claim, if ever I heard one to be reckoned with.

I must assume the Platinum is better since the name sounds expensive, it costs more, and better parts among other things. Yet is it worth the premium? Worth is such a subjective thing, but if it's not going to hurt your pocket get the best you can. You are worth it. And it's a small torture to wonder how much better it could have been if only I upgrade to the Platinum…

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW
blink.gif
Now that's a claim, if ever I heard one to be reckoned with.

I must assume the Platinum is better since the name sounds expensive, it costs more, and better parts among other things. Yet is it worth the premium? Worth is such a subjective thing, but if it's not going to hurt your pocket get the best you can. You are worth it. And it's a small torture to wonder how much better it could have been if only I upgrade to the Platinum…

I am not going to address whether I think the Platinum is worth the premium over the stock Extreme at this point .... I havent had them long enough. Plus, I dont have my second 2c51 adapter yet to compare them with them with the identical tube sets. I can do identical setups, eventually, so that the only variable will be the amp. But this only goes so far because usually the parts upgrades change the presentation enough that the amps go better with different tube sets. So, a final determination of my opinion will take some time. I will say right now the upgrades definitely seem to make the sound different, a bigger soundstage presentation, maybe more refined .... in a good way .... with no loss of speed or dynamics .... .

As for the plitron transformer, these units are already acknowledged by manufacturers and hobbyists as one of the very best. In actual operation these transformers are absolutely dead silent .... and after four hours or so of operation I touched the transformer and the unit was barely = very, very slightly warm. After about eight hours the unit was warmer but still only very slightly warm. The low temperature points to the amazing efficiency of the transformer. The fact the amp was pulling 5.6 amps of heater current and the rest of the amp was noticeably warm would lead you to expect the transformer to be throwing off some heat.

Knowing what I know now .... I would pick the Platinum, or atleast add the plitron to the stock Extreme. The power transformer is the heart and soul of an amp and I am fairly certain the plitron makes an improvement. This plitron unit does exactly what you want from a transformer at a level I have never experienced before. But you cant lose, because the stock transformer is an excellent unit that is very quiet, runs cooler than most and is over spec'd for healthy current reserves. I have the stock transfomer in my first Extreme, but a higher capacity 14 amp version of the stock transformer I requested so I could use 6528's. But the 6528's make the amp run to hot in that little chassis. Again, knowing what I know now, that using 6528's is out, I would pick the plitron now.

In summary and IMO, if you want truly great sound and the best value the stock Extreme is an amazingly good amp for the price. I know of nothing better at the Extreme's price point. If you want to squeeze even more performance out of the amp, at minimum, upgrade to the plitron transformer .... or just go with the Platinum.
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the blackgate output cap upgrade worth the extra?

Yes. I've switched from stock to Black Gates a couple of times. Possibly the most important of the upgrades, especially at the outputs.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

As for the plitron transformer, these units are already acknowledged by manufacturers and hobbyists as one of the very best.

That sounds a bit more plausible, but to truly put things on an even keel qualifiers like some, many, most acknowledge this...

Quote:

I know of nothing better at the Extreme's price point.

That's extreme!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back