Singlepower Extreme - Standard vs Platinum
Jan 9, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #16 of 37
"In summary and IMO, if you want truly great sound and the best value the stock Extreme is an amazingly good amp for the price. I know of nothing better at the Extreme's price point. If you want to squeeze even more performance out of the amp, at minimum, upgrade to the plitron transformer .... or just go with the Platinum."

From everything that I have been reading about new SP Extreme, it appears to be the best headamp value currently out there for the dollar spent. I'm looking forward to auditioning one as an opportunity presents itself.

- augustwest

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds a bit more plausible, but to truly put things on an even keel qualifiers like some, many, most acknowledge this...

I wasnt trying to be plausible that must have been an accident.
biggrin.gif

I still believe the true Plitron power transformers (not the inexpensive ones manufactured in China) are the best I have used or experienced with my equipment or others equipment. Plitrons are undoubtedly the quietest. I have never had or experienced a transformer as silent internally or externally .... and they run extremely cool. The Hammonds and Electra-Prints just dont compare for mechanical noise. Lundahls and Sowters are nice but still not as silent. Nothing I have come across has the Plitrons unique design and performance. I havent tried every last transformer .... so if you know of a better one I want to know what the unit is and I will start using them.
wink.gif

At this point though, I have no knowledge of a transformer that will outperform the Plitrons; hence my comment.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boomana,

Sorry to hear about that thing called a job is getting in the way of your listening to the Extreme Platinum--and posting inpression to all of us out here waiting with bated breath.
orphsmile.gif

I have looked at your public profile, and it looks like you have experience with a fairly wide variety of popular amps. Once you do get a chance to listen to your heart's content, I'd (and I'm sure many others) would love to hear your impressions of the Platinum in comparison with some of the other amps you own, or have owned. The Platinum is obviously at a higher price point than the others in your profile. Is it truly a step or two above what you have heard and so worth the price differential?

It is truly a few steps above anything I've owned. I've been fortunate to hear some amazing amps (check out any FL meet thread), so I won't go so far as to say it's better than some others, but those were all significantly more expensive. I have what I guess is being called the Platinum, plus a Solen Stage 1 upgrade and a gain switch. I sent it back to Mikhail a day after the FL meet a couple days ago to finish it off with BG outputs. So, I actually like this amp so much, I was willing to send it away from me for another few weeks for one final tweak. I'll miss it, but I think it's worth it.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasnt trying to be plausible that must have been an accident.
biggrin.gif

I still believe the true Plitron power transformers (not the inexpensive ones manufactured in China) are the best I have used or experienced with my equipment or others equipment. Plitrons are undoubtedly the quietest. I have never had or experienced a transformer as silent internally or externally .... and they run extremely cool. The Hammonds and Electra-Prints just dont compare for mechanical noise. Lundahls and Sowters are nice but still not as silent. Nothing I have come across has the Plitrons unique design and performance. I havent tried every last transformer .... so if you know of a better one I want to know what the unit is and I will start using them.
wink.gif

At this point though, I have no knowledge of a transformer that will outperform the Plitrons; hence my comment.

Can we see a picture (or model number) of this renown and what you regard as the best transformer you’ve heard? Or is it the best because it operates quieter and cooler than others you've heard?

I am not in the habit of swapping transformers in and out of my amp nor do I say it must be the transformer that sound so good. I listen to an amp as a whole and make my assessment that way. I know it's bit unorthodox.
plainface.gif

A little heat isn’t a big issue; and for late night headphone listening quieter is better, yet I’ve not heard my transformer unless I put my ear near it.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we see a picture (or model number) of this renown and what you regard as the best transformer you’ve heard? Or is it the best because it operates quieter and cooler than others you've heard?

I am not in the habit of swapping transformers in and out of my amp nor do I say it must be the transformer that sound so good. I listen to an amp as a whole and make my assessment that way. I know it's bit unorthodox.
plainface.gif

A little heat isn’t a big issue; and for late night headphone listening quieter is better, yet I’ve not heard my transformer unless I put my ear near it.

Signifigantly quieter and cooler ....

HPIM0285.jpg

HPIM0276.jpg

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #26 of 37
Hi,

Thank you all for your input. Impressive is the detail and enthusiasm included in your posts. I placed my order for an Extreme Platinum with the 14 amp??(larger) transformer, I also requested binding posts. I was told that the next build was expected to be shipped around the 25th. The headphone world is new to me, but by no means is audio. My Maggies take me away often and I welcome this new exploration. Thanks again for your help!!

RA

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALLENR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Thank you all for your input. Impressive is the detail and enthusiasm included in your posts. I placed my order for an Extreme Platinum with the 14 amp??(larger) transformer, I also requested binding posts. I was told that the next build was expected to be shipped around the 25th. The headphone world is new to me, but by no means is audio. My Maggies take me away often and I welcome this new exploration. Thanks again for your help!!

RA

This hobby is bringing us older guys back in with the quality and portability of sound. The results so far have been rewarding. I don't know if anyone mentioned it to you earlier, sorry bout your wallet.
icon10.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Hi,

RA

Good grief .... I just noticed you are in Ohio. Where at? If you are close you could come over for a listen. Send me a pm if you are interested.
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good grief .... I just noticed you are in Ohio. Where at? If you are close you could come over for a listen. Send me a pm if you are interested.
wink.gif

Hi,

That would be a southwest suburb of Browns Town. Now I'll be off to the headphone forum to find out what works best with my new amp. (That should be straightforward....right?).

Thanks again all!

RA

Jan 12, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Hi,

That would be a southwest suburb of Browns Town. Now I'll be off to the headphone forum to find out what works best with my new amp. (That should be straightforward....right?).

Thanks again all!

RA

Wait, before you go don't forget to add a stepped attenuator to your order. It will be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back