Singlepower ES-1/Omega II
Jun 5, 2006 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bahamaman

1000+ Head-Fier
Last Thursday, I was thrilled to receive, finally, my ES-1 and it has been burning in ever since. The ES-1 has but two options - silver wiring in the signal path and upgraded power supply. The former was recommended by Mikhail, to add a touch of brightness to an Omega that can come across as a bit dark. The latter was a result of, how shall I say, his incomparable generosity.
wink.gif

I lack experience with electrostatics and the amps that drive them; thus, a useful review is truly beyond my ability. What I can say is that this combination has brought me so much closer to the music I love. It has extracted detail not previously heard. Moreover, it has presented this detail with such exceptional and loving euphony that it is almost overwhelming, emotionally. I am listening now to Allison Kraus/Union Station's "Gravity" (off Lonely Runs Both Ways). The sound of the dobro solo, the accompanying accoustic guitars and the underlying viola are so exceptionally clear, so beautifully rendered. It is just startling.

I have been privileged to own so much wonderful gear in my two-and-a-half year tenure at head-fi. But nothing I have had compares to this. Nothing.

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 22
Wow. Congratulations. I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to listen to the Omega 2 out of the prototype ES-1 at bozebutton's house. I am of the strong opinion that the ES-1 is the only amp that has brought the O2 to anything they are capable of. Not the KGSS, Blue Hawaii, any of the Stax amps, or the HEV90. You are a very fortunate man, as you are now in possession of what I consider a "magical rig".

Best regards,

-Jason

Postscript: Enjoy! Oh, heh, I'm sure the MF DAC is fantastic, but watch out. You're gonna start wondering about how good uber-sources can be... this rig certainly deserves one!

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Oh, heh, I'm sure the MF DAC is fantastic, but watch out. You're gonna start wondering about how good uber-sources can be... this rig certainly deserves one!

Watcha think I've been doing all weekend?
wink.gif
The MF is a very competent DAC, but I have been researching upgrades virtually nonstop.

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 22
Nice report, Rob. I know that you don't feel you have the experience base in terms of ready-made comparisons to other electrostat phones and amps to write a detailed review, but I would challenge you to at least continue to share your thoughts about this system, however brief they may be, as you become more familiar with its nuances.

There are a couple of reasons for asking this: one is that I know you'll have more to say as you get accustomed to the new rig and how it compares with your previous rigs, even though they were not electrostat-based; the other is that there is precious little information out there about the ES-1 amp, and every additional data point helps at this time.

As we all know, you have to live with a system for some considerable time to really appreciate what it's true strengths (and weaknesses) are, or at least to be able to put it all into words that others can benefit from. So often I've seen wonderfully written reviews about various products here at Head-Fi from members who had precious little experience with other gear, but were still able to convey the essence of what they were hearing from the one item that they chose to review. More often than not, this is then exactly what I've heard when I had my chance with the same piece of gear.

So it can be done. It will just take some time to allow your thoughts to develop. Maybe it's something you can put on the back burner for now and then revisit it in a couple of months.

Anyway, congrats on your newfound sonic bliss.

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I know that you don't feel you have the experience base in terms of ready-made comparisons to other electrostat phones and amps to write a detailed review, but I would challenge you to at least continue to share your thoughts about this system, however brief they may be, as you become more familiar with its nuances.

You're absolutely right - I will try to post impressions as they occur. And here is one: I was listening to a bit of Dream Theater (6:00 on Awake). As compared to my (former) CD3000s and HP3000s, I think is fair to say that the Omega II/ES-1 cannot match their visceral impact. Even so, I do believe that the detail of my current combo more than makes up for the comparatively less bass slam. A trade-off I would happily make, any day.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
You're absolutely right - I will try to post impressions as they occur. And here is one: I was listening to a bit of Dream Theater (6:00 on Awake). As compared to my (former) CD3000s and HP3000s, I think is fair to say that the Omega II/ES-1 cannot match their visceral impact. Even so, I do believe that the detail of my current combo more than makes up for the comparatively less bass slam. A trade-off I would happily make, any day.

You're never going to believe this, but I swear it is true! I just now listened to that very same CD on the HE90/HEV90 system!

I've had the disc for months now, but I'm pretty sure this was the first time I ever listened to it, and this was totally unrelated to your post. I was sifting through my collection looking for something that would "snap me out it" because I was in a funky mood earlier tonight. I figured this would do it.

But you know, I had the same reaction that you did. I was expecting more in terms of "impact" based on what I've come to expect from their other albulms that I have. I kept thinking that it would sound a LOT better (and have more of a "snap me out of it" effect) on my speaker system. It's about 75 minutes long, and half way through I started to doze off (of course it's 3am now).

In any case, I can TOTALLY relate to what you're saying about the lack of visceral impact, and I think it's a problem with all electrostat designs, be it headphones or speakers. I'm actually tempted to try it now on my speaker system but am afraid it will Awake! me too much. I do need some sleep.

When the CD stopped and I turned off the system, I was headed for bed but thought I'd check into Head-Fi one last time because I was a little restless. It was completely unreal (freaky really) to click onto this thread (the first one I checked) and to see your post...

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
You're never going to believe this, but I swear it is true! I just now listened to that very same CD on the HE90/HEV90 system!

In any case, I can TOTALLY relate to what you're saying about the lack of visceral impact, and I think it's a problem with all electrostat designs, be it headphones or speakers

Truly, an amazing coincidence! That particular track off Awake is almost becoming my reference if I'm listening for the ability of my system to convey dynamics and bass slam.

I knew, from what I had read, I couldn't expect electrostatics to have the capacity to deliver that visceral impact. Even so, for anyone considering the Omega IIs, don't interpret this comment to mean that they lack for bass. The bass is definitely there, in fine quantities. There just isn't the movement of air that only dynamics can produce.

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 22
Man, I'm giddy with excitement. Mine should be arriving today.. I can't wait!

I am a sucker for soundstage, and your impressions (and previous correspondence) have gotten me hyped.

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 22
Congrats on the new rig. The Omegas really need a great amp to shine.

You can tune the bass on the Omegas by bending the metal bars slightly outwards. It can be a bit anemic if the are too tight on your head.

Also what output tubes are you using? The Omega's love the Mullard XF2's, they are a match made in heaven.

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Man, I'm giddy with excitement. Mine should be arriving today.. I can't wait!

I am a sucker for soundstage, and your impressions (and previous correspondence) have gotten me hyped.

Congrats to you to akwok.
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Truly, an amazing coincidence! That particular track off Awake is almost becoming my reference if I'm listening for the ability of my system to convey dynamics and bass slam.

I'll have to listen to this track carefully. As I mentioned, it was my first time through the CD and it was way way way too late at night. I'll give this track another spin on the Orpheus today and then compare it to some dynamic headphones and also to my speaker rig.

I agree with what you say about the O2 bass: excellent in terms of both quantity and quality, but lacking in terms of visceral impact. Unfortunately, this is what often makes an emotional difference in terms of whether you come away from the experience thinking, "Oh, that was nice" as opposed to thinking "Wow, that was just unreal!"

Jun 6, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 22
My ES-1 arrived.

It is mind blowing. There's so much authority and transparency! It seems like the OII is being pushed to it's limits.. Charging/burning in now.. I will start another thread later..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back