Singlepower ES-1 has landed! EARGASMS GALORE (56K warning)
Jun 6, 2006 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 123

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi!

My ES-1 arrived! And I suck with impressions! Not much to say, except that it's the best rig I've heard yet. The OIIs are getting worked like no tomorrow, and it shows - immense soundstage, extreme transparency, and articulate highs. Dark? Who says! Damn it's a treat! The OIIs haven't even fully charged up yet!

So this is what a specific headphone-tailored amp sounds like!

I guess the downside is that my crappy recordings sound even crappier now.. but this may be because I've seen what can be achieved with good recordings -- not necessarily the amp making the bad recordings sound worse.

Won't be upgrading the amp for a long while
very_evil_smiley.gif

Pictures at Night:
IMG_4538.JPG

IMG_4534.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

IMG_4550.JPG

Pictures in Daylight:
IMG_4501.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4519.JPG

IMG_4524.JPG

IMG_4525.JPG

The HE90 plug does look rather lonely, as Patu stated..
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Hi!

Won't be upgrading the amp for a long while
very_evil_smiley.gif

What the hell could you upgrade to?!?

icon10.gif

Enjoy that amp Akwok, Mikhail has clearly created a masterpiece
orphsmile.gif

edit: God that DAC is sexy...I must get one...

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 123
Wonderful pictures!

Glad it arrived safely, Akwok. The ES-1 + Omega II is just such an amazing combination.

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 123
Congrats Adrian, that's looking like a really awesome system, I'd love to hear the Stax out of the ES-1... or maybe I wouldn't.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Wonderful pictures!

Glad it arrived safely, Akwok. The ES-1 + Omega II is just such an amazing combination.

Yeah man! I'm not too good with those mumbo jumbo audio terms, I just know it sounds good -- better than I expected.

I guess that's why you haven't been posting much.. too busy listening?
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
edit: God that DAC is sexy...I must get one...

Hmm.. I should really try out the D02 instead of the Ack Dack, but I'm too tired to switch interconnects.. maybe later,
tongue.gif

Now I can finally see how the D02 is against the Ack Dack 2.0 (fully upgraded)!

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 123
Good gracious that thing is beautiful! Are those speaker posts? Are you going to drive speakers? K1K?

There are a number of owners of this amp now, right? To me, this is the absolute king and pinnacle of all HP amps when coupled with a great electrostat. I was completely blown away when I heard it at the National. For me, it killed the Orpheus.

Enjoy that beauty. I personally don't think music playback through headphones can get any better right now.

Great pics too. It looks like it is from the future with the glass and gloss and bright, clean white.

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
Good gracious that thing is beautiful! Are those speaker posts? Are you going to drive speakers? K1K?

They are just posts to plug the multimeter in to bias the amp, unfortunately. It would be nice if they were speaker posts
tongue.gif

An all-in-one electrostatic and dynamic amp.. haha.. I wish!

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 123
First congrats ..... your amp is a real beauty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Whats the front tube wok .... looks like a 12 series tube? I see the second gain stage uses a 6bl7gta. What EL34's did you go with?

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 123
It looks gorgeous. Now hook your D02 up and tell us your impressions.
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
First congrats ..... your amp is a real beauty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Whats the front tube wok .... looks like a 12 series tube? I see the second gain stage uses a 6bl7gta. What EL34's did you go with?

The front two tubes are 12AU7, I believe. All tubes are stock - I'm planning to tuberoll later, once I get some more money (I'm trying to get into another hobby currently). I have some Telefunken 12AU7/12AX7s here, but I'll wait a while to roll em in.. it sounds fine already
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back