Single UE10 (UE11) or pair of complimentary IEMs (ER-4S + something else) ?
Jul 10, 2008 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kostalex

Headphoneus Supremus
I like my ER-4S very much. It sounds very nice with custom molds. I prefer it to Shure E500, Westone UM2, Sleek-Audio SA6. I am thinking to improve it further with APS Ety cable.

But I do not like it for portable use. So I am complimenting it with Shire E500, which suites portable needs better. And I found that ER-4S, APS cable and E500 total cost is close to the UltimateEars UE10 (or UE11), which is likely good for portable. I like the idea to have a single IEM for both stationary and portable use.

But I am not sure if I will benefit soundwise replacing two very good IEMs with the single best IEM.

Please, qualified votes only. Guess-works are also welcome as regular posts without voting.

Note: as I wrote before I like ER-4S very much. So included to every pair here.

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! First time poster is an UE11 owner!

I really like to read than write.
icon10.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 20
ue11 for me

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 20
If you're in it for a hobby, more headphones is better than fewer. If you're in it to listen to music, then going straight to the top is best
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 20
The answer is regardless of which way you go, you will second guess yourself. If you go straight to the top and settle with just one, be it UE10 or UE11, you will wonder if that particular sound signature is best for you. If you go with a variety of second tier phones, you will wonder what "the best" has to offer.

Solution? Buy UE10 & UE11 (from what I read on the boards they are quite different), and a nice variety of the second tier
tongue.gif

Hell, I'm so indecisive that I am considering sending in my UE11 for the second complete overall of artwork, so who am I to advise
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're in it for a hobby, more headphones is better than fewer. If you're in it to listen to music, then going straight to the top is best
smily_headphones1.gif

Brilliant! I must be in it for the music then judging from my sig and equipment (UE11, Edition 9, etc...)

I voted for the top UE customs cuz that's the route I took.

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 20
+1 to most of the comments..

if you need/enjoy both fun and analytical, ety with superfreq(ML). Only analytical, etc with LW or Freqshow(MM).

Of course, if you can afford the best, then ue10 and ue11.

Ue11 are superb for great dynamics and engaging music. UE10 is supposed to be reference standard if i'm not wrong; "music-as-it-is" kinda sound.

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 20
12 votes total and no votes for Shure yet... Do you guys prefer low-priced customs due to the comfort rather than SQ superioity?

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 20
I would definitely get one of the combos of a custom and the ER-4S with APS cable. The ER-4S are very special so I would keep them. You could spice things up by adding a fun sounding pair of customs to your inventory, sort of getting the best of both worlds without having to spend $1100 for a pair of UE customs with no refit guarantee.

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 20
x? on the UE11 Pro.
From what I have read its in a clear league of its own when it comes to IEM's. Hence should be a safe choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back