Single side mono conversion
Oct 21, 2009 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
Any reason not to wire both channels into a single driver on a set of headphones? I have hearing issues in one ear and would like to hear both channels in the other. This seems like a good cheap compromise that would allow me to use the "can" on any player.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Wouldn't it be easier to substitute the stereo jack with mono jack?

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 7
If you're willing to spend a little time and effort, one way to convert stereo to mono is via one of the editting packages. Convert the recording from X+Y to M+S, then replace the S channel with another copy of the M.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps a stereo-mono adapter could be a cheap and reversible (for the headphones) idea to try it out and hear for yourself?

All of the above fixes would play mono into both ears (unless I used the balance control). I have one ear that fatigues easily if I listen to headphones at basically ANY level for over 5 minutes. Tinnitus, the whole game. I can hear out of that ear, I just want to continue to.
What I'd rather do is just pack one cup with sound deadening foam and have the other play mono.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 7
You can do any of the above fixes, and then just disable output to the channel in question you don't want to use. It's snot that complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back