Single Power Audio SDS-XLR
Feb 22, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #31 of 69
Woah! Nice amp, I wish I could afford something like that. Maybe someday...
tongue.gif

Is channel matching hard without Stepped Attenuators at all?

Feb 22, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #32 of 69
That looks stunning! Congrats.

Feb 22, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #33 of 69
I feel privileged that we now have 3 SDS-XLRs in the area - I’ve been very impressed with Ayt999's solid-stage variant and sleestack's tube-rectified version is amazing as well. Enjoy the music, Pat!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #36 of 69
Yeah Alex I still owe you a stock Senn cable, but I may just return it when I'm done comparing the K701/DT880/HD650 - do you charge a rental fee?
wink.gif
Pat, I forgot your SDS-XLR has a K1000 output - when the K1000s return remind me to drop by for a listen (can it compare to the EAR V20 - Wayne, please send 'er back so my failing memory isn't exhausted)!
k1000smile.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Is channel matching hard without Stepped Attenuators at all?

It would be pretty difficult to adjust volume without step attenuators if you have separate knobs for left and right channels. If you have a single knob for both left and right, you can use a potentiometer, like an ALPS RK50. I wanted to have separate knobs for left and right to have two separate volume controls for single-ended headphones (for comparing single-ended headphones or tube sets, you can set the left and the right channels differently).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
How is your SDS-XLR tuned to sound?

Mine was tuned to be on the warm side.

Mine is not tuned for any particular sound. Mikhail sent me some adapters to try different tube combinations to get the sound I want. If I want warmth, I can use the Ken-rad VT231/Sylvania 6SN6GT (gain/driver) combo. For a livelier presentation, I prefer the Ken-Rad VT231/Tung Sol 5687 combo (Mikhail's favorite). You need four adapters for the 5687s in the driver position. The Ken-Rad VT231/Tung Sol 5687 combo has a lot of wow factor, but I tire of it after two CDs. Drives the K1000s well though. I refer to this combo as the "Grado" special, as the more aggressive, forward presentation reminds me of the RS-2. So far, I prefer the Ken-Rad VT231/GE 6BL7GT (SACDLOVER's recommendation for my taste -- he is correct!); huge soundstage and crisper sound than straight 6SN7s. I have lots more tuberolling to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Pat, I forgot your SDS-XLR has a K1000 output - when the K1000s return remind me to drop by for a listen

Sure thing. That reminds me to bug the AKG service department
mad.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Yeah Alex I still owe you a stock Senn cable, but I may just return it when I'm done comparing the K701/DT880/HD650 - do you charge a rental fee?
wink.gif

I thought you reimbursed me for them? I don't know... there were too many things going on at the time and you know I was confused.
tongue.gif
besides, it's only $15 or so.

Feb 22, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #39 of 69
Hey Pat! So busy these days that I didn't read this until now. Glad you finally got it and started to enjoy your HD650 at a whole new level.

Enjoy it in good health.
580smile.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by roblo
Gordon bennet its a monster, those packing cases say it all.

confused.gif
how much does one of these beasts start at? how much can they end at?
confused.gif

euro millions here I come...

Rob

I am getting repeated PMs on this, so might as well post an answer here. Last time I checked, the stock version starts at around $9K and can go as high as your wallet allows. Each upgrade requires 2x the parts (this consists of two separate tube amplifiers), so it can get pricey real quick. There are much less expensive versions that probably get you most of the way there. I read that the balanced Supra starts at around $3800 and the balanced MPX3 is even cheaper. E-mail Mikhail at info@singlepower.com for accurate pricing info.

---Pat

Feb 22, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I thought you reimbursed me for them? I don't know... there were too many things going on at the time and you know I was confused.
tongue.gif
besides, it's only $15 or so.

YGPM
orphsmile.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #44 of 69
NICE! I'm sure you're going to find yourself liking it more with time, it's only going to get better (Well, unless you ty using it with your i-pod. Then the hernia will slow you down a bit!
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
My SDS-XLR is now officially on order, and Mikhail has already made some swift progress, so watch this space!

Dang it man, Here I was already to urge you on again and you go and steal my thunder!
biggrin.gif
Congrats man, though pretty soon you're not going to have enough room left to fit in that house of your's...
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #45 of 69
A monster... Enjoy!

And thanks for the pics. I wonder what the mail guy thought was in the two huge wooden boxes. A headphone amp plus respective power supply of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back