Single & Multi Dynamic Driver Only IEM Discussion Thread
Nov 14, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #91 of 164
It is also a bit better than the NM2+ when passages become extremely complicated. It doesn’t sound as compressed.

That's an interesting observation about the NM2+ - because that's my biggest complaint about the original NM2. One thing I had been wondering about was whether the NM2+ displayed similar traits.

I like the NM2 a lot for albums that are solo and/or acoustic. However most of what I listen to is rock music that can be complex/fast/energetic, and the NM2 doesn't fare as well for that type of music, at least to my ears.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #92 of 164
That's an interesting observation about the NM2+ - because that's my biggest complaint about the original NM2. One thing I had been wondering about was whether the NM2+ displayed similar traits.

I like the NM2 a lot for albums that are solo and/or acoustic. However most of what I listen to is rock music that can be complex/fast/energetic, and the NM2 doesn't fare as well for that type of music, at least to my ears.
Yes, I think the NM2+ is very technically capable, and has tremendous finesse, but is not so resilient when the music gets very complex. That’s where I think beryllium/coated drivers excel.

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #93 of 164
Yes, I think the NM2+ is very technically capable, and has tremendous finesse, but is not so resilient when the music gets very complex. That’s where I think beryllium/coated drivers excel.

Oh well, I ended up getting the NM2+ as well after reading many praises for its bass extension/resolution/technicalities/timbre/vocals and I mainly listen to progressive/black/death-metal and some jazz, which are genres with really fast tendencies and easy to get "busy". On paper, it ticked all boxes as a good IEM for metal.

I have ATM the FDX1, ER2XR, and FH3 for reference. From these the ER2XR* is the only one that struggles a bit with some complex music, would you say the NM2+ is at least on par with the FDX1 in handling complex passages? Because if so, it still pretty good to me then.

*For example this song:

On ER2XR at ~3:40 and onwards when the vocals and all instruments are playing together it gets a bit "confused" while the FDX1 and FH3 can handle super well.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #94 of 164
Oh well, I ended up getting the NM2+ as well after reading many praises for its bass extension/resolution/technicalities/timbre/vocals and I mainly listen to progressive/black/death-metal and some jazz, which are genres with really fast tendencies and easy to get "busy". On paper, it ticked all boxes as a good IEM for metal.

I have ATM the FDX1, ER2XR, FH3 for reference. From these the ER2XR* is the only one that struggles a bit with some complex music, would you say it's at least on par with the FDX1 in handling complex passages? Because if so, it still pretty good to me then.

*For example this song:

On ER2XR at ~3:40 and onwards when the vocals and all instruments are playing together it gets a bit "confused" while the FDX1 and FH3 can handle super well.

I will listen to that song on the NM2+ soon. I hope I didn’t overstate things. The NM2+ is an amazing single DD IEM. By far, the best I’ve heard thus far, particularly with technicalities. It is at least on par with the FDX1 IMO, and I only notice compression on the most chaotic and complex musical passages, such as with certain death metal. It is certainly not egregious mind you, just noticeable. The NM2+ driver is definitely more capable than the ER2XR’s. Should you ever happen to notice any compression effects, I’d try listening to the same passages on the FH3. I have a strong suspicion that the FH3 is really resistant to it, though I no longer have mine to test out.

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #95 of 164
I will listen to that song on the NM2+ soon. I hope I didn’t overstate things. The NM2+ is an amazing single DD IEM. By far, the best I’ve heard thus far, particularly with technicalities. It is at least on par with the FDX1 IMO, and I only notice compression on the most chaotic and complex musical passages, such as with certain death metal. It is certainly not egregious mind you, just noticeable. The NM2+ driver is definitely more capable than the ER2XR’s. Should you ever happen to notice any compression effects, I’d try listening to the same passages on the FH3. I have a strong suspicion that the FH3 is really resistant to it, though I no longer have mine to test out.

Oh, thank you and you didn't! I just got a bit curious to get a better perspective because I usually don't nitpick much about that and if it's at least on FDX1's level in handling complex stuff it won't be an issue to me. If you give me a punchy bass with superb extension and realistic vocals I will ignore a lot of "flaws". :D

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #96 of 164
Oh, thank you and you didn't! I just got a bit curious to get a better perspective because I usually don't nitpick much about that and if it's at least on FDX1's level in handling complex stuff it won't be an issue to me. If you give me a punchy bass with superb extension and realistic vocals I will ignore a lot of "flaws". :D
Ok, I listened to that Ilsahn song. The NM2+ handles it easily, w/o any problems/compression that I could detect. When I notice some compression, not severe mind you, is on more extreme tracks such as this. I do not notice it with any of my typical everyday music.

WARNING: Turn down the volume before you play this sample!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #97 of 164
Any idea about the new TFZ LIVE X ($230 1DD)? seems interesting :)

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #98 of 164

I have ATM the FDX1, ER2XR, and FH3 for reference. From these the ER2XR* is the only one that struggles a bit with some complex music, would you say the NM2+ is at least on par with the FDX1 in handling complex passages? Because if so, it still pretty good to me then.

*For example this song:

Not directly related to your post, but to the thread at large. The FD1 handles this song without a sweat.

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #99 of 164
Not directly related to your post, but to the thread at large. The FD1 handles this song without a sweat.
The FD1 really does handle chaotic passages well, and the bass remains fast and distinct. It is a well-implemented beryllium-coated DD IEM.

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #100 of 164
Assuming the Jade Audio EA1 is exactly the same as the FiiO FD1, it would probably be my top budget IEM recommendation for metal genres.

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #101 of 164
The FD1 really does handle chaotic passages well, and the bass remains fast and distinct. It is a well-implemented beryllium-coated DD IEM.

For me, tuning is king and that is where the FD1 hits it out of the park and into the traffic outside of the park. I am choosing to listen to the FD1 instead of IEMs that I own that are multiple-times more expensive. I would love for FiiO to release a FD3 with the same tuning as the FD1 but with improved instrument separation (the FD1still not being a slouch with this) and a bit more soundstage depth (not the FD1's strong suit).

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #102 of 164
For me, tuning is king and that is where the FD1 hits it out of the park and into the traffic outside of the park. I would love for FiiO to release a FD3 with the same tuning as the FD1 but with improved instrument separation (the FD1still not being a slouch with this) and a bit more soundstage depth (not the FD1's strong suit).
What about the FD5 instead lol.

https://fiio.com/newsinfo/454678.html?templateId=1133604

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #104 of 164
Dec 23, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #105 of 164
What’s your favorite single-DD IEM currently? Unfortunately, few have received their FD5s thus far. My current favorite is the NM2+. The Believe is a close second, but the imaging of the NM2+ is just too good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back