Single Malt Scotch Fi
Mar 7, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a big fan of Isla malt like Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich etc. Actually having a Cao Ila 17 yrs single cask right now. Love their thick smoky peaty taste.

I'm with you. I love Laphroaig Quarter Cask.... Lagavulin is another of my all-time favourites. Smoky peat is yummy.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......Recently anyone read Chile's (the country) fascination over Scotch? It's like go away Chileans, go drink some rum
very_evil_smiley.gif

Several years ago I took my wife back to Chile to visit her family. Every uncle, cousin, and friend of the family which we visited all served scotch and red wine...the scotch always after dinner.

I sip most any single malted scotch though I prefer the "heavy" scotches of the north (Speyside). My favorites include any good aged Aberlour, the 1975 Dalmore, and the 21 year old Springbank.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #35 of 44
Nice collection of single malts, my current favorites would be Macallan and Oban. Always keep a bottle of each in stock, haven't had the chance to try the 30 yr Macallan but have read good reviews about it. I also have a 18 yr and 25 yr Macallan which I have'nt opened. Bowmore makes some great single malts, I like their 18 yr. Would love to try the Black Bowmore but limited bottling and price prohibits me.

BlackBowmore1a.jpg

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #37 of 44
I'm mostly an Islay man, and especially partial to Laphroaig. Their 10 year-old is liquid heaven, quite a bit better than the Quarter Cask IMO. It makes me sad that it's no longer available in Canada.
I like Highland Park a lot, though I have to be in the mood for all that malt flavour.
My next big whisky purchase will be Talisker 18 - I tried it once and it was amazing!

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #38 of 44
The Lagavulin 16 and the 1991 Glenrothes are two of my faves. VERY different in taste and character, but both delish in their own way. The Lagavulin was my first Islay, thought I would hate the peatiness, but it added to the character. Can anyone here recomemend another good Islay?
Greg

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Lagavulin 16 and the 1991 Glenrothes are two of my faves. VERY different in taste and character, but both delish in their own way. The Lagavulin was my first Islay, thought I would hate the peatiness, but it added to the character. Can anyone here recomemend another good Islay?
Greg

Another of my Islay favourites is Laphroaig, somehow similar taste than Lagavulin, but with even more marked and stronger taste, usually too much for many people, in my case is a whisky not for every ocassion, like Glenrothes, which is fairly "easy".....

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #41 of 44
Oh! The humanity!!!
I opened up a very old bottle of Oban last weekend (in my collection for over 16 years!), when catastrophe happened!!
frown.gif

The cork broke in half!
It was all good though, there was still some cork left on the cap to put it back in the bottle.

Looks like I am going to have to get my drink on!

Oban 14 year old scotch
It has a nose of rich sweetness and fruits - oranges, lemons and pears, with sea-salt and peaty smokiness.
Full-bodied and rich with mouth-filling late autumn fruits - dried figs and honey-sweet spices; followed by a smoky malty dryness.
Long, smooth-sweet finish with oak-wood, dryness and a grain of salt." - Malts.com

dscn0960resize.jpg

dscn0966resize.jpg

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #42 of 44
Maybe better use another cork from another whisky (clean well with water & dry). I once had a bottle of cask strength laphroaig that had a rotten cork which ruin the whisky (taste wise)...

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #44 of 44
I'm just working on my first bottle of Bruichladdich Infinity. The entry level one, without any aging noted. Still, it was over $60! Yikes. I'm coming from several bottles of the Laphroaig QC- my all time favorite so far. Man the Bruichladdich is strong stuff. It's the first Islay I can't drink totally neat. I need to cut it with several drops of water to smooth it out and open it up some. I noted on the bottle that it's 55%. No wonder it's got some bite. Once cut though, it's very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back