Single-ended solid-state amplifier possible?
Dec 4, 2006 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Balisarda

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Can anyone explain to a layman whether it's possible to construct a single-ended amplifier with solid-state transistors?

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks, guys!

Single-ended triode amplifiers have a considerable and enthusiastic following, because the sound is rather different from push-pull. So my next question is, is there a difference in sound between transistors in single-ended and push-pull configurations?

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 14
How do you get a gain out of a single transistor? Looking at the Szekeres and Pass Zen designs, the only real difference seems to be that the Szekeres has its output at the source, whereas the Zen has its output at the drain. How does that make the Szekeres have less than unity gain, while the Zen has enough gain to drive speakers?

Aditya

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you get a gain out of a single transistor? Looking at the Szekeres and Pass Zen designs, the only real difference seems to be that the Szekeres has its output at the source, whereas the Zen has its output at the drain. How does that make the Szekeres have less than unity gain, while the Zen has enough gain to drive speakers?

Aditya

That's exactly the difference. The Szekeres is a "common drain amplifier" (otherwise known as a "source follower"). The Pass Zen designs are more elaborate versions of a "common source amplifier". The latter has voltage gain but the former does not. You can google these and get the gory details.

The BJT counterparts of these are "common collector amplifier" and "common emitter amplifier". Perhaps these would yield more useful info when searching.

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can be. Take a look at the original Pass Zen article: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/zenamp.pdf It should get you started.

That's a great article! Thanks!

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbang819 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen the year?

I'm sure they did, and it is only a 3 year old thread. Better to build on an existing thread (and show you did search) than to start the 3,000th Cmoy thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciuffoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen my Power Follower

the Power Folllower

and the relative articles on paper magazines

Andrea Ciuffoli - Documentation page

well I think welcome Andrea would have possibly been more appropriate
bigsmile_face.gif

..... perhaps not welcome ---- joined in 2004
wink.gif