Single box with source + DAC + amp?
Sep 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeteeyou 

http://cubieboard.org

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-brief/66048-android-powered-cubieboard-is-already-sold-out

What if we add a hard drive / SSD, a tiny Wi-Fi dongle, an ODAC, an Objective 2 amp, and a battery to power everything? That single box solution could be portable enough yet capable of driving many cans that need some juice.

We simply use a phone or a tablet to control that headless system remotely while 192/24 bit-perfect playback should work well under Linux.

What do you think?

^ Hurry seeteeyou, make one of those "single box solution" and orders (including mine) will flood you :p

Seriously though, it is an interesting idea. Does not have to be a single box though (just cubieboard+hard drive+wifi dongle+DAC+battery is good enough). Maybe leave the Objective 2 amp out, since it has its own batteries and many portable amps are available.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 15
4TAGTl.jpg

My almost finished project:

DAC USB + RaspberryPI (outputs RCA)
I've an MPD server on the Pi and use MPD clients (desktop and mobile) to control it.

I plan to add an headphone amp in the box as well.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 15
The portable version is possible, me and a friend of mine have experimented with a portable xbmc client based on the PI, and we ended up being rather succesful, we are still in the testing fase.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 15
It reads the music on a NAS (ReadyNAS Duo) via NFS. It could read movies too, but I already have an HTPC, and this unit is always on, the HTPC is not. I will add more pictures if you want to see the whole setup (temporarily connected to a Creative 2.0 speaker kit until I finish my DIY loudspeakers)

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 15
The portable version is possible, me and a friend of mine have experimented with a portable xbmc client based on the PI, and we ended up being rather succesful, we are still in the testing fase.

Excellent! Please update us when you have finished your test. Some photos or DIY guides will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
@ Shinuza,

I am just curious, if you do not mind to disclose: what OS/software/firmware are you running on your Raspberry Pi with external DAC? Debian, Fedora, ArchLinux, .....? And what is the DAC you have in your photo? Thank you.

The Rpi has ArchLinux on it. The only things I did were:

- Upgrade the sytem
- Install Mpd + setup
- Install smbclient + setup
- Install net-auto-wired for convenience

The Rpi mounts a CIFS share for mpd to scan, the DAC was automatically detected and selected as output device by mpd. The DAC comes from this website (cached version, the live version is down somehow): http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wCWMXa7H_ycJ:www.audiophonics.fr/audiophonics-dac1796usb-dac-24bit-192khz-usb-2496khz-p-6362.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk
But I guess most DAC would be automatically detected as an output device on a recent linux kernel (at least both my DAC boards were).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back