Singapore meet 2009
Oct 5, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #16 of 40
The abundance of HD800s enable me to construct a decent impression on them. Generally I am surprised by how transparent they are. Marvelous. Tried them with different amps, balanced, single-ended, all have slightly different characteristic.

The one that captures my attention is the one balanced and paired with RSA Apache- running AC/DC through them blasted my head with crazy bass.They have a tiny hint of sibilance, in the sense that if there isn't any sibilance in the recording they won't show it but if there is some sibilance it will be a bit accentuated.

Then the Denons. Sadly, I guess I can finally scrap Denons off my future shopping list. I can't stand the sharpness, whether that is sibilance or not. Even markl modded, the D5000 still retains that characteristic. And the boomy bass. But the mids are much more balanced (forward?) compared to stock D5000. This is through Headamp balanced headphone amp, btw.

On to Grados. After hearing different setups, I find HF-2 much preferable to the bright RS-1. RS-1 is too coloured. HF-2 and PS-1 sound similar, with PS-1 having more bass-hump which sometimes goes overboard and sounds boomy. I forgot how PS-1000 sounds like but it's not a good impression. All in all, I really love the HF-2.

This meet really cemented my stand on Ultrasone: IMO all of them sound bad except ED8. Pro900 balanced sounds congested, bitter, wrong, hollow... really, it's like waking up in the morning with a bad taste in your mouth. ED9 fixed some of the harshness but still retains that strange coloration. I listened to the ED9 through Apache.

K701 surprises me on how sweet it sounds. Really surprising considering their status as Head-Fi public enemy. Anemic bass, yes, but I think the bass still sounds... full enough.

The electrostats stole the show for me. HE60, HE Audio Jade, Stax O2, off KGBH and Orpheus Zero CDP. I guess HE60 is the Grado of the group with that forward nature. While O2 Mark I is the king with its lush delicate sound, sitting there at the throne. Very neutral, flawless. Great bass. Rawr. Doesn't remember much about the Jade.

After this meet, though, I am even more assured that HD600- which will hopefully be at my door in several days- is for me. The warm sound and just the right amount of bass are a joy to hear. I think I am sensitive to sibilance, and HD600 (along with HD650) doesn't display that at all.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #17 of 40
Nice impression and great pic!

This is so far the best meet that I ever had. It nice meeting all of you in person. Great and friendly people! I really enjoy myself.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #19 of 40
Some of my impressions at the meet:

EAR HP4:
One of the most impressive amps there, really brought out the music no matter what headphone I tried. I didn't bother listening critically but just enjoyed whatever was playing, even if it were hard rock. Could survive a 4-way gangbang with HD800, K240 Sextett, AD2000 and PS-1000 with oodles of power left to spare.

Orpheus CDP:
Fantastic pairing with HP4, they are so liquid and detailed together.

Electrostats with Blue Hawaii:
Only heard them for 5 mins when a rock CD was being played, not exactly my favourite genre. Still, they promptly squashed my notion that electrostats have no bass. Imaging and detail are fantastic. HE-60 was a bit too bright for me, Omega was a little uncomfortable, Jade was perfect for me.

Darkvoice 337:
Fantastic pairing with AD2000. Fast, punchy and lush. 2nd favourite amp with my AD2000 after the HP4.

RWA Isabellina:
Creamy smooth and lush, although treble was not as extended as expected. Would make a great bedside rig playing jazz.

HD800:
Favourite so far was the one with Oyaide connectors, forgot what cable it was. Mundorf and Black Dragon recables were a little too warm for me, APS recabled with Furutech rhodiums was a great 2nd place. Shockingly good imaging and soundstage.

Headroom Balanced Desktop:
Great sound in a tiny package. I want one in my office now.

AstinTrew CDP:
Very nice lush sound. Digital output to my Stello DA100 reminded me that I need to get a proper full-sized CDP soon instead of relying on a PCDP.

I'm still banging my head at the missed chance to try the CEC belt-driven CDP and the Naim set. The queue was just too long for those for a good reason I guess.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice impression and great pic!

This is so far the best meet that I ever had. It nice meeting all of you in person. Great and friendly people! I really enjoy myself.

On behalf of everyone who came, I would like to thank you for providing the location.

Best local meet so far.
o2smile.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #22 of 40
next time I'll bring laptop and rip those CDs! Ha! One guy has this awesome jazz collection, not the usual boring Diana Krall clones. Fun listen. And an awesome opera/ classical head as well.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #23 of 40
Great meet... After trying out so many stuff, I still a grado guy :p PS1

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #30 of 40
I forgot the details, but I prefer the PS-1.

HF-2 > PS-1> SR-325> RS-1 > PS1000 in my order of pref.

IMO Singapore is quite good to visit for headphones because the community is centralized. It's such a small place after all. So it is easy for you to experience a lot of stuff without wasting a lot of time to travel or meet different hobbyists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back