Since they are now official: Nano 4G and iPod Touch 2G Sound Quality Thread
Sep 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #256 of 461
I picked up a 2nd gen 32gb Touch yesterday and the sound is very open and clear with no frequencies emphasized over another. The only problem is Im getting the sound hiccups when playing ALAC files. Is there a forum to complain to apple so they can fix this in their next update?

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #257 of 461
Dear head-fi community,

I must admit I am rather confused. Actually I wanted to pick up a new touch after the praise it has received here. But upon perusing a number of online reviews (trustedreviews.com, some foreign language side) I had to find out most of them agreed that sound quality could at best be called something between average, mediocre and decent but and couldn't be compared with the likes of Sony, Cowon, etc???? Please help
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #258 of 461
Well, on my maiden voyage with my new 4G nano I experienced the audio 'skip' problem attributed to the Touch. This was while playing a 256 kbps AAC file (NOT ALAC). To double-check I allowed the track to finish and hit 'back' button to play the same song again and this time it played through without error. Very odd.

It was an iTunes Plus album purchased from iTunes store. Certainly could be buggy firmware for a device pushed hard to market. I haven't listened to the nano much since then, as I brought my Shuffle with me for our weekend camping getaway (no case for nano, so paranoid). Will fire it up again this evening and put it through the paces.

Sep 22, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #259 of 461
OK. Been listening for a while this afternoon via headphone out of the 4G nano (no more skipping yet). Impression: Wow! Very clean, very clear. Solid bass and vocals are right where they should be. Nothing jumps out at you, just a tidy, neutral sound. Gone is the mushiness that always rubbed me the wrong way with previous nanos.

I don't know if it's this new Cirrus chip or what - don't care. I just want a player that plays my stuff and doesn't get in the way. Don't need 'claire-voyant bass' or DDT or any of that other stuff. I just like to listen and forget about it. Mission accomplished.
(BTW - Threshold's Dead Reckoning was on the player for this...Awesome Album)

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #260 of 461
I just picked up a 2G Touch this weekend and I have to agree with everyone. I think it sounds great. On a well engineered recording, there's nice dynamic range, it's pretty open sounding with good soundstaging, and the device is just cool as hell. I don't think I'll ever get tired of the interface and how fun some of the games are. There's one out there where you actually shake the device to roll the dice. It's really cool. On the negative side, I'm getting the occasional skip with lossless tracks too. Hopefully it's just a software issue that they can fix. I'd buy it again in a minute regardless....

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #261 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Winter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear head-fi community,

I must admit I am rather confused. Actually I wanted to pick up a new touch after the praise it has received here. But upon perusing a number of online reviews (trustedreviews.com, some foreign language side) I had to find out most of them agreed that sound quality could at best be called something between average, mediocre and decent but and couldn't be compared with the likes of Sony, Cowon, etc???? Please help
smily_headphones1.gif

Well all of those have better eqs and sound effects than the touch- nano. The sonys usually have little frequency bumps engineered into the sound, which does help the sound a little. If you are talking no eq, the new ipods sound neutral, clear and very low noise floor. I would demo them (at least the sony is at some BM stores) and see which one you like. They are a big improvement (imho) from say a 1st gen nano- no apparent bass roll off - more dynamic and detailed and even less hiss with sensitive iems. If you like a "warm" sound or like to eq your music, the new ipods might not be your best choice, although I really wouldn't say their cold either
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #266 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the 2g work with the original apple ipod universal dock? i have one from 2005 that is great with my 1g touch: line out works great: much less noise in the signal but... will it work with the new action?

I don't see why not? I have an old FM transmitter that still works with the Touch 2G. And yeah, it uses the line out.

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #268 of 461
just ordered 3 BSE skins for the 4th gen nano and 1 for my ipod classic
smily_headphones1.gif

Note: introductory price for the nano @ $4.99! only till tomorrow

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #269 of 461
What is BSE and where please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back