Sin City [Movie]
Mar 18, 2005 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Stephonovich

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone else excited about this? Trailers here. I've never read the graphic novels; actually, I'd never heard of them, but I may just have to. The movie looks amazing. And that was before I found out Jessica Alba was starring
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 26
This is either going to be really cool or it's going to suck. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt based on the trailers. it's definitely going to have a "look" to it!

Mar 18, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 26
Perhaps it's because I loved Sky Captain. It seems everyone else said it sucked royally. I, for one, loved it.

But yes, the movie is definitely intriguing.

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 26
i'm glad to see something different, but i'm afraid it'll just be all "hey look, this is DIFFERENT" bs, and nothing really remarkable. i hope i hope i hope i'm wrong!!

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 26
ps: anyone else notice the entire lack of "plot" in the trailer???? just a big long list of hollywood stars. big ****ing deal. once you start reading these silly old things called books you start wanting more than some chick wielding a blade (then again
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 18, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
it's based on a comic book. the plot is pretty cliche, it's the presentation that is different and effective. It is a new and more graphic type of noir, that's the point.

i'm deathly tired of comic book art film adaptation. ho hum. and i have to say, " a new and more graphic type of noir", huh? how can something be "more graphic"? do you mean it's animation-ish? and i strongly disagree that there is anything "new" excepting cinematography techniques, which might be new and cutting edge for all i know. my focus is on the character of the story: characters and scene: the STORY; what i really consider the essence. it's a very literary way to look at films. which certainly has its disadvantages. i enjoy films simply for their graphic excellence in portraying a scene, but it has nothing to do with "new and innovative techniques". if such is used, great, but to me it's beside the point, and that's the point.

is it "noir" simply because most of the film is at night? or simply because it focuses on the evil characters? or glorifying the evil characters? i think the french must be laughing their assess off when they here silly americans call something "noir". it sounds so profound in usa-language. noir means black, but it sounds better, eh? there was a restraunt nearby called "la chat noir" which is "the black cat" but if you called it 'the black cat" you'd have to cut your prices in half, and you'd probably have hippies serving cappachino's rather than a $30 a plate restraunt wouldnt' you? hehe, america is a silly and wonderful place. ps: please respond. i think we're in total disagreement, and that's fun and nice. agreeing is so boring
eek.gif

ps: yes, to look for plot and even a story in a film like this is rather fooling myself, but i'm always looking. there are so few films i really enjoy. that's a matter of preference, though. i find myself mainly going to the theater to see visual-spectacles rather than trying to find an intriguing story (not that there are none, mind me). i.e. i'll probably go see this as soon as it comes out.

pps: is it just me, or did i see a lot of tarentino rip offs in that trailer? wait a sec, isn't he directing? lol

ppps: my opionin on tarentino: cool and that's it, enough said (though you probably thought it was nuff said about 20 lines ago. heh)

Mar 18, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
is it "noir" simply because most of the film is at night? or simply because it focuses on the evil characters? or glorifying the evil characters? i think the french must be laughing their assess off when they here silly americans call something "noir". it sounds so profound in usa-language. noir means black, but it sounds better, eh?

I would highly recommend you a "Film History 101" class.
rolleyes.gif

http://www.filmsite.org/filmnoir.html

Mar 18, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

i'm deathly tired of comic book art film adaptation. ho hum. and i have to say, " a new and more graphic type of noir", huh? how can something be "more graphic"?

well, there's a little something called graphic design, people like chris ware utilize it very well:
ware_corrigan_strip.jpg

and as for Frank Miller:
sincity4.gif

graphic noir means something totally different. Animation-ish? No.

neither of these examples look like spiderman to be honest.

Quote:

and i strongly disagree that there is anything "new" excepting cinematography techniques, which might be new and cutting edge for all i know. my focus is on the character of the story: characters and scene: the STORY; what i really consider the essence. it's a very literary way to look at films. which certainly has its disadvantages. i enjoy films simply for their graphic excellence in portraying a scene, but it has nothing to do with "new and innovative techniques". if such is used, great, but to me it's beside the point, and that's the point.

well, if you feel that the visual aspect of movies isn't integral to the story telling then i think you should watch some more films. If not on the visual execution of the narrative, what is the story of movies based on? Surely they offer something that other forms don't. I, for one, will take a film version of "Paths of Glory" (a modest film by a young Kubrick) over any other medium any day of the week. The audio and visual aspects of that film are simply amazing.

Quote:

is it "noir" simply because most of the film is at night? or simply because it focuses on the evil characters? or glorifying the evil characters? i think the french must be laughing their assess off when they here silly americans call something "noir". it sounds so profound in usa-language. noir means black, but it sounds better, eh? there was a restraunt nearby called "la chat noir" which is "the black cat" but if you called it 'the black cat" you'd have to cut your prices in half, and you'd probably have hippies serving cappachino's rather than a $30 a plate restraunt wouldnt' you? hehe, america is a silly and wonderful place. ps: please respond. i think we're in total disagreement, and that's fun and nice. agreeing is so boring
eek.gif

and i quote

-("dark film")A term applied by French critics to a type of American film, usually in the detective and thriller genres, with low-key lighting and a somber mood. Film noir was most prevalent in the 1940s and 1950s, though it was revived occasionally later.
highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0070384290/student_view0/glossary.html

-"Dark film," a term applied by French critics to a type of American film, usually in the detective or thriller genres, with low-key lighting and a somber mood.
http://www.mhhe.com/socscience/art-f...glossary.mhtml

-French phrase meaning "black film"; refers to a genre of film whose subject matter bleak, usually an urban theme of corruption (e.g., Last Tango in Paris)
gs.fanshawec.on.ca/users/josephda/glossary/glossary_F.htm

-French phrase meaning "black film"; refers to a genre of film whose subject matter bleak, usually an urban theme of corruption (e.g., Orson Wells' Touch of Evil(1958), Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (1982) and L.A. Confidential (1998))
gs.fanshawec.ca/jda/glossary/glossary_F.htm

-a critical term used to describe cynical Hollywood thrillers and melodramas of the 1930s and 1940s. More specifically, it refers to the high-contrast, deeply-shadowed lighting style of such films
http://www.megweb.uct.ac.za/doh101f/...m%20&%20TV.htm

-overstyled (see "aesthetic") depiction of archaic film archetypes--such as existential private detectives and thugs--shot in moody black and white
www.thestranger.com/2001-05-24/siff4.html

but yes, basically Noir films mean black films. and as you can see from my example of Miller's art in Sin City, that is clearly the desired effect he was going for.
If I am to really look critically at this sin city movie, it will be by judging the visual execution of atmosphere, style and narrative.

Comics are not a genre of stories, they are a form of storytelling. (see:http://www.scottmccloud.com/store/books/uc.html)

The plots of the Sin City stories are tried and true hard boiled action stories. They are crucial to the stories but at the same time are not why readers come back for more. It's Miller's translation and keen understanding of the mood and tension
sin1_p82.gif

i don't mind a debate or discourse, but bring something concrete and factual to the table when you do.

Mar 18, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 26
And on that note. Yes, the movie could be really cool. Bruce Willis is a good hard-a## and Frank Miller writes good stories, so it could score. I liked the original Sin City series. Doubt much of the public has, which is why this film doesn't have an immediate tie-in audience like Spiderman or the X-Men. I'm still waiting for the film version of Miller's "Hard-Boiled" that was great comic.

Mar 19, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 26
uzziah's really giving MERTON a run for his money.

I've never read Sin City, even though I've always wanted to. I wish libraries carried graphic novels. That'd make it so much easier (read: cheaper)
frown.gif

I fear that the upcoming Watchmen film is going to be an absolute trainwreck..... but Moore has said for years that he never allowed Watchmen to be optioned because he knew that the resulting film would not be true to the original. So either he's desperate for money or the movie really IS going to be good.

Mar 19, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

sky captain is great on two or three microbrews. otherwise, well, ummmmmm

Wow and I was actually thinking a case might just make it watchable.
eek.gif

As for Sin City the grafic novel, it is flat out brilliant. When I first read this master piece by Frank Miller I was blown away.

Let's hope they do the book justice:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back