Simulation of speakers on headphones
Jul 16, 2010 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Macman

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi'ers,
I'm new on this forum and maybe some of you could be interested in my development of simulate a near field speaker soundstage on headphones. Based on a DSP it use only short delays, EQs and volume in a special arrangement. The goal was a most accurate and original sound reproduction without any room simulation or reverb. You can find some demos on my webpage for a soundcheck and additional information:

http://www.headphonehifi.ch
As you are high skilled headphone users your opinion would be much appreciated 
smile_phones.gif

Macman

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 17

Quote:

No. In contrast to Smyth I don't use room simulation or head-tracking at all. I don't like to add things to the music. But I heard only very good opinions about the SVS and I hope to get the opportunity to listen to it once.

Quote:
Very interesting and thanks for telling us about this.  How does your process differ from crossfeed?

Basically it's a crossfeed system but maybe more complex than other solutions (see the diagram at http://www.headphonehifi.ch/Headphone-Hi-Fi/HPHF_en/Products.html ). I had to learn that the ears are very sensitive organs and really hart to cheat.

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 17
Interesting.

It sounds like higher frequency sounds are pushed forwards, and lower frequency sounds are more left and right.  It makes most of the music sound hollow - sort of like listening through water.

The effect works, but it sounds a lot better with some material than others - the chanting in the spatiality test works really well, but the other music (ex. the stereo field demo) sounds really muddy to me.

Overall I think I would like this system in game sound effects more than music; even though the quality of the sound effects is clearly affected, in that case it doesn't usually matter so much.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 17
Care to comment on comparison with BS2B ?

Quote:
Hello head-fi'ers,
I'm new on this forum and maybe some of you could be interested in my development of simulate a near field speaker soundstage on headphones. Based on a DSP it use only short delays, EQs and volume in a special arrangement. The goal was a most accurate and original sound reproduction without any room simulation or reverb. You can find some demos on my webpage for a soundcheck and additional information:

http://www.headphonehifi.ch
As you are high skilled headphone users your opinion would be much appreciated 
smile_phones.gif

Macman

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 17
Sorry for the delayed reply. I was away for several days.

Quote:
Care to comment on comparison with BS2B ?

Basically it's the same idea but a different setup. Unfortunately the demos don't work so I can't comment on the sound quality. Do you have any demos? 

Quote:
You might find the comments in this thread useful: Isone Pro thread in the Computer Audio Forum. The Isone Pro VST plugin basically does something similar if you bypass the room effects. It supposedly simulates listening to speakers in an anechoic chamber if you do this.

I checked this thread and it's very interesting. There's a lot of bandwidth about the right parameter settings. Headphone Hi-Fi intend to use no adjustments at all. As I'm on Mac do you know some sound demos of Isone Pro. I would like to listen to it.

Quote:
Just did the demo on the JH13s and I prefered normal stereo to the DSP.

The simulation benefit from the frequency linearity of the used headphone. Maybe you get a better result with an open one.

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 17
I think lots prefer "normal stereo" when they first listen, because they are used to the unnatural channel separation and super wideness. It takes a week or so to adjust. The irony is you are not hearing "normal stereo" on headphones.

Quote:
Basically it's the same idea but a different setup. Unfortunately the demos don't work so I can't comment on the sound quality. Do you have any demos? 

I could make one or two. What sort of music or sound would you like. Or do you have a favorite testing track - send it to me and I will encode it.

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 17
P.S. If you offer free plug-ins for popular computer audio software, e.g. VST and Foobar plug-in, you will quickly accumulate lots of feedback which you can use to market for hardware implementation sales. Your website atm only seems to solicit enquiries for the latter.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #14 of 17
Hello head-fi'ers,
based on some of your comments (thanks) I was able to achieve some remarkable improvements in all aspects of the simulation.
If you like you can check the new samples here:
http://www.headphonehifi.ch/Headphone-Hi-Fi/HPHF_en/Demo.html

Macman

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #15 of 17
Hi

I think this is very interesting indeed as I am very keen on cross-over technology as it is.

I wonder if you are related to Jan Meier?

I notice that the website the contact is Erich Meier?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back