Simpsons movie...it was OK!
Jul 27, 2007 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Jeff Guidry

Headphoneus Supremus
Not great, but worth a little of your time this weekend.

Several good laugh out loud moments, and they do a few things in the movie they couldn't get away with on TV (a rather long sequence of Bart running naked through town with clever concealment of his unmentionables, until they are mentioned......) The best "can't do it on TV" moment for me is when Marge says "godd*mn"

The movie is about as good as it could have been given nearly two decades of familiarity with the characters. They really couldn't diverge from the shows rhythm or expectations of the characters behavior, which is why the movie should have been done a long time ago, so that it could really stand in contrast to the show.

Your thoughts?

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 57
I'm completely undecided about going to see this movie. I might end up seeing it this weekend, but I fear I'll regret the experience.

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 57
is there a central plot to the movie or just random scenes with Simpson's characters? From the previews it looks rather disjointed. And with so many previews it almost seems like I've seen most of the movie already (I hate that feeling!)

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 57
So we've established that it is worth 2 hours of my life, but is it worth the $9 admission's fee? I'm not a huge Simpson's fan, but I do enjoy an episode whenever I run into one on TV. Maybe I'll just rent it when it comes out.
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNESCO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there a central plot to the movie or just random scenes with Simpson's characters? From the previews it looks rather disjointed. And with so many previews it almost seems like I've seen most of the movie already (I hate that feeling!)

yeah, there's a plot...a bit weak...imo
worth 9 bucks?
i don't know! i brought three of my friends to a free advanced screening last night!

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 57
The movie's central theme is the environmental destruction of Springfield by Homer dumping a silo full of pig crap into Lake Springfield (provided by "Spider Pig"). Several sub plots are involved, but none are given very much room to play themselves out, which was a little disappointing.

This is a good experience to have with a large crowd of Simpsons fans. If you miss it this weekend, its probably best to wait til DVD, unless you bring lots of like-minded friends.

The rhythm and pacing are similar to the show, but visually it is different, as there is a substantial amount of computer animation (the characters themselves are still 2D), and the framing takes advantage of the wider aspect ratio.

If the prime ticket price is an issue for you, I would say it probably isn't worth it, but if a regular admission price is no sore blow to you, I think it's a good choice for this weekend.

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but is it worth the $9 admission's fee?

$9???
eek.gif
Holy smokes that's a lot. With a student discount most of the local theaters here (Louisville, KY) are $5.50. I can't imagine paying $9 for a movie.

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 57
I don't watch many movies at all so I probably won't see it.

My all time favorite Simpsons episode is one of the Halloween specials where Homer tries to fix the toaster and ends up creating a time machine.

He goes back to the age of dinosaurs and steps on a butterfly, when he comes back the world is changed in very strange ways.

He goes back to the past again and tries to fix things but every time it gets worse.

One time, it is raining donuts outside but Homer doesn't notice it.

It is based on an old Ray Bradbury story "A Sound of Thunder", where a time traveling dinosaur hunter goes back and steps on a butterfly only to find his future world changed horribly for the worse when he returns.

FWIW, I strongly resemble Homer..
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 57
What about this move
4qyzjh3.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 57
saw the movie tonight. pretty good. not great. just like a good long episode. favorite parts:

- itchy and scratchy episode
- every part with the pig, esp. spider pig
- president schwarzenegger
- the dog sled scene
- the bomb robot
- both scenes with moe

would have been happier with

- less flanders, less cletus, less lisa (and millhouse, to my surprise)
- more burns and smithers
- more (some) skinner, more ralph
- more comic book guy, nutty professor, otto

worth seeing if you are a simpsons fan.

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best "can't do it on TV" moment for me is when Marge says "godd*mn"

You can't say ******* on TV? But thats insane!

Edit: looks like you can't say it in the forums either... But I'm sure i've heard it on TV HEAPS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back