Simple question....
Oct 3, 2006 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tonym

100+ Head-Fier
Hey-up!
I need to know if a quality optical line-out from CD player to DAC then quality RCA interconnects to headphone amp would produce a better sound than just running the interconnects direct from CD to the amp?
Sorry if this is a really dumb Q.

Oct 3, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 6
There is no answer to this because it all depends very much on the CD player and DAC in question.

If it was a Teac Esoteric X03 and you were feeding the optical into a cheap NOS-DAC then it probably wouldn't improve the sound.

Similarly if it was a $50 player being fed into a Chord DAC64, then the sound would probably be much better.

Can you please give us more info on the equipment you're asking about?

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonym
Hey-up!
I need to know if a quality optical line-out from CD player to DAC then quality RCA interconnects to headphone amp would produce a better sound than just running the interconnects direct from CD to the amp?
Sorry if this is a really dumb Q.

Perfectly sensible question

With a NAD C542 or Philips DVP642 and an Entech 203.2 the switch from analog out to Digital to DAC and then Analog out is near indistinguishable - in my opinion. I cannot speak for higher end options.

Oct 3, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Perfectly sensible question

With a NAD C542 or Philips DVP642 and an Entech 203.2 the switch from analog out to Digital to DAC and then Analog out is near indistinguishable - in my opinion. I cannot speak for higher end options.

Everyday I am more and more surprised at the fantastic sound the Philips DVP642 puts out. Thanks to you I own one, I am very happy.

Oct 3, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 6
dont forget that the DAC can also be used to color the sound. So.. its a lot like can/amp synnergy, but at a different location in the signal chain.

I would think... if your philosophy is to "only convert" the signal there my not be much difference with an external DAC, under a certain price range. If however you get into component synnergy and start selecting components for their combined sonic flavor enhancements, things start to get much more complicated and the scales start to tip in favor of an outboard DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back