Simple question regarding amp case
Feb 21, 2010 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

earthpeople

Headphoneus Supremus
I noticed that many amps require you to connect things to the chassis, such as power ground or certain part(s) of the amp board. I'm not extremely literate regarding electricity and amp design, but I can understand why you might do this with a metal chassis.
However, what would you do if the case was plastic or wood?

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 9
Kinda depends what the ground connection is for. Do you have schematic & construction plans you can show us?

If it is there for safety, you can might be able leave it out since the case doesn't conduct. If there are any conductive parts that could touch the user (like a volume control shaft) it might be necessary to ground them.

If the design expects to use the case to connect signal or power ground you will have to provide a connection or the amp won't work. I'm not a big fan of using the case to interconnect signal ground but I've seen it done.

If the ground connection is for shielding, you might have to put a conductive foil shield on the inside of the case and ground it.

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, what would you do if the case was plastic or wood?

Be thankful.
atsmile.gif

se

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Be thankful, indeed.

A couple years ago, I re-capped an old Arvin tube radio for a friend. Made in the late '30s, it had a metal chassis - which was potentially "hot", tied to one side of the AC line - and a metal case, as well. Not even a fuse!

Things are a bit safer these days.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo de Monet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be thankful, indeed.

A couple years ago, I re-capped an old Arvin tube radio for a friend. Made in the late '30s, it had a metal chassis - which was potentially "hot", tied to one side of the AC line - and a metal case, as well. Not even a fuse!

Things are a bit safer these days.
smily_headphones1.gif

HA! No ****. Some really scary stuff was made back in the day.

se

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 9
haha, so I take it I don't need to worry about grounding to chassis?

I also have another quick question and rather than make a new thread, maybe someone can answer if they look here; How much does it typically cost to build a M^3?

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III Stereo Headphone Amplifier
Under the "wiring & ground" section

Thanks for the information and I appreciate the help.
I am planning to put the power supply in a separate case, don't know if that would change anything but I figure I should mention it.

Looks to me like the link just about covers what you need to do.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks to me like the link just about covers what you need to do.

Oh wow. It was right there.
I must've read through it at least 3 times last night. Maybe it was too late and I wasn't actually "reading" it.

Man, I feel dumb now, haha.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back