Simple Physics RCA Interconnect Review
Jan 24, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jzono1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nasty joints are acceptable at this ridiculously low price point - but not joints that don't work.

i respectfully disagree :p

have ordered a few cheap cables at this price off ebay and the workmanship was great, even the centre conductor was heatshrinked
biggrin.gif

no excuse is passable for bad soldering on someone who sells cables.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #17 of 27
Hmm I'm still runnin generic branded RCA cables. I've experiemented with a buddy's Audioquest interconnects but really couldn't detect any differences (though I've upgraded to better equipment and headphones since).

Out of curiosity, Myrdin why do you feel the Neutrik plugs to be the best? Also as a correction, Simply Physics use only Neutrik plugs it seems like

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #18 of 27
I went back to my old Monster RCA cables for a bit just to see if I notice the same changed I did before... and yup, there is definitely a change in SQ. Monster one seems too bass heavy/thick/congested in comparison. I'm not sure whether this is more due to the monster one being bad or the SP one being good, but either way, I'm happy that I've purchased this.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Out of curiosity, Myrdin why do you feel the Neutrik plugs to be the best? Also as a correction, Simply Physics use only Neutrik plugs it seems like

Given that mine say "straightwire" on them, they seem to be from straightwire. I don't feel they are the best. I do think they are good because they are thickly plated with a non-corrosive material, establish a positive connection on signal and ground, and fit tightly. There are absolutely fancier plugs available, most costing several times what the whole interconnect did.

The soldering on mine didn't wow me but it's solid and thorough. Though I wouldn't have minded shrinkwrap around everything, I'm more concerned about shielding and sound, so I didn't and still don't put much stock in that aspect. It does suck that someone got a bad cable. Thus far the manufacturer has been very responsive so I'm sure it would have been resolved if they'd been contacted.

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #20 of 27
I emailed him a few days ago about the issue - no reply yet. At least I'd expect an apology.

But anyway, fixing it myself was a bother - but so is shipping across the pond. Heck, just getting to the local post office is more of a bother than fixing a single bad joint. -20-30C makes me reconsider any unneccesary trips outside. Anyway, why wait weeks for shipping when it's a simple issue?

And that 1/4" connector was just a nightmare to solder, and I understand very well why it came in a non-working condition. I had to try twice myself to get it soldered well and make the casing fit.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #21 of 27
When I first saw his stuff online, I was like What he is just using some milspec SPC and some cheap Neutrik's. Each cable couldn't have more than like $4-5 in materials. So for someone like me, who makes his own cables, these are a pure ripoff. Plus, his marketing is over the top and irresponsible. Posting BS retail prices like $350 saying that they are better than $1000 cables, etc. Time and materials are worth more? Not true at all. He doesn't even use heatshrink or sleeving to dress them up at all. He is no better than the bassel-e guy charging $125 for a mini to rca cable that is mogami and neutrik connectors. The bassel-e guy plain lies about his connectors saying they are silver plated Neutrik connectors (um, no those are nickel plated and cost $0.67).

His end prices are pretty fair and a decent value proposition if you like SPC. I would prefer that people bought his stuff because of that, and not because of his hyperbole and BS. At least most of the people here probably ignored all of that and simply saw a good deal on a cable and went with it, I just hate to see people get rewarded by marketing fluff.

And I will say this, if you pay any amount of money, bad joints are not acceptable. Monoprice has very well made (better made than these) cables for practically pennies. Same with Blue Jean Cables. Just about any DIY cable maker on the forum, myself included, could make you similar cables for similar prices and we would have far too much pride in our work to sell something that wasn't well built.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #22 of 27
But this thread is useful. I have been doing a look around for nice silver plated copper, shielded bulk cable to make some ICs with, and that ebay listing is priceless.

Thanks to all involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back