Simple Physics RCA Interconnect Review
Dec 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Myrdin

Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of Simple Physics RCA interconnects from the manufacturer off of eBay. I have a ton of experience with the scientific and DIY aspects of audio, particularly interconnects. Audiophile stuff, I'll leave to the audiophiles. I don't purchase pricey components unless I can justify it with repeatable facts. That said, these were merely the scandalous price of 25 USD. Here's my review.

Auditioned setup: FLAC and 360kbps MP3 -> EMU404USB DAC -> reviewed RCA interconnect -> Phenix G3 w/ Phillips/Mullard PCC88's -> ATH-A700

Music: Vivaldi - Winter (complete) Salzburg Baroque, RenardV - Eggs & Other Songs, Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero, Rachmaninov - No2 Piano Concerto (multiple renditions)
Bit 'o Variety, eh?

Construction: 2 core + Shield. Dedicated return soldered to shield. 360º silver solder, thick silver coated copper conductor, teflon insulation.

The good:
This appeals to every aspect of my metallurgical physics background. I participated in development of the skin-effect flatwire crap at General Atomics that have influenced so many thousand dollar+ interconnects. I spent a month sourcing parts for a DIY interconnect, then I found these. If I could build my own, they would be nearly identical. Not ideal but best for the price. SOUND: These bring through a tremendous range of signal. I won't claim to be a miraculous golden ear. Those are a true rarity. These RCA cables brought through everything I can hear, which I believe to be the normal range of human hearing. I pride myself on that range. Few of my friends can compare, so if I can hear it there's a good chance you can, too, and you'll hear it with these cables.

The bad:
No snake oil. These are made from silver coated copper milsurp wires (seen 'em in the roof of my helicopter) with the best plugs on hand. You'll get no superfluous features. That puts some people off. My plugs were from straightwire. Look up their prices and you'll not balk at this price. Real downsides include an extended bass range. You might question this being a downside, but many amps seem [to me] to be between Phonograph specs and neutral specs. Plainly, you'll hear more lower frequencies than you expected. It does take getting used to. Hearing the orchestra's background noises (pages turning, feet moving, stops thumping) was odd, though largely an effect of my amp's freq curve. The cable is also stiffer than usual. Fine for static setups, needs a little care for more frequently adjusted setups. They're hand soldered, so obviously not too pretty when dismantled.

Conclusion:
Absolutely worth many times what I paid. Simply Physics certainly lives up to the name. I couldn't find any statistically backed points against this bit of wire. The limiting factors in my setup were probably the headphones, maybe the tubes, unlikely to be the interconnects. If you find them for anywhere near the price I paid I see no reason not to test them against your expensive interconnects.

Basically: Worth it.

SimPhysRCA.jpg

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 27
Can't seem to find them. Can you link to the manufacturer on ebay?

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 27
Can't argue with $20. Might have to try some myself. Interestingly he's the first person I've seen who said what AJ Van Den Hul also says, that it's better to have short speaker leads and longer ICs.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 27
My rear & side channels are ran on monoblocks that sit on the speaker backs (M-L) with 15 m Straightwire ICs & 1 m speaker wire. I believe that's pretty standard audio logic.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My rear & side channels are ran on monoblocks that sit on the speaker backs (M-L) with 15 m Straightwire ICs & 1 m speaker wire. I believe that's pretty standard audio logic.

That's what I thought, but some well-known companies were saying the opposite, which had me rather puzzled.

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 27
Giving these a shot... just purchased one now; until now I've only used the the old Monster 200i interconnect that my dad used to own in my system. They haven't given me any trouble or anything at all but since these are so cheap I want to see if I can notice any sort of difference by using a SPC cable instead of what I have now (which I believe is all copper). I've always been cable agonistic but at this price I may as well give it a shot. Thanks for the review and the link.

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 27
The seller is nice to deal with. Looks like I'll end up with 2 1' interconnects with kapton, and a 3' rca-1/4" in kapton.

5$ extra for kapton - at 25$ they're still a steal.

Edit: he even does rca-1/4" neutrik on request
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 27
I've tried these for about a day now and here are my thoughts on it vs. my old Monster interlink 200 RCA-RCA interconnects (connected between my Pico DAC and WA6):

- Well, I can see what the OP means about the bass detail. My old Monster IC hit VERY hard on midbass, and at times seemed like they only deliver one note bass. With these, there is a excellent breakdown of the bass region; while the midbass don't hit as hard as the Monster IC's, you can better subbass and it is overall much more easier on the ear. I'm not sure whether this is mainly a Copper (Monster) vs SPC (Simplephysics) thing as I'm a newb when it comes to cables, but the differences were most noticeable in this region.

- The clarity is definitely improved over the Monster IC, these are definitely brighter (again, could be just a Copper vs SPC thing). Going back to the Monster IC's after this I can notice a slight veil. Nothing major but these do offer slight clairity over the Monsters.

- Highs seem more natural on SP compared to the Monsters, yet still well extended. Highs and upper mids on Monsters can be sibilant and painful sometimes but with these they are quite natural, even on my RS1's or K701's.

- Bulid quality seems good. The cord is well shielded and well made, and the plugs are solid neutriks which is tight yet not almost connector-damaging like the Monster Turbine design.

Overall, I'd say that the OP was spot on with his review. These hold nothing back and give a very natural presentation vs my old Monster Interlink, which seems very coloured now in comparison. No frills, no colouring to my ears. Excellent buy at mere $25 IMO.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 27
There seems to be two different types for the same length cables. One seem to be classified as 'Argento Volta' and the other as 'silverchord' series. Whats the difference ? From the color (white) looks like the review was for 'silverchord' series.

I am looking for a decent RCA cable set for connecting my Compass/19MK3 to Woo audio 2. Any of these should work right?

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 27
I asked the same question to the seller. Got a quick and detailed response...

Dear sarathcpt,

The one you asked the question from is a SilverChord Series 1 cable. These used all that same ingredients - silver/copper full braid shield, Teflon dielectrics, silver/copper inner conductors. The SilverChord Series 2 uses a Kapton/Teflon dielectric which is very slightly better. It is in a single strand configured to be optimized for a single ended RCA application. You need two "legs" for balanced or if you want to only connect the shielding to one end - thus the "DUO" version. The SilverChord One can be shielded to one end only and marked so you can try shielding the cable to the source or the component that it is connecting downstream to.

Argento Volta is very similar to SilverChord in many ways except it is very tightly wound and uses Kapton mo9re as the dielectric (thus the copper-gold outer color). This is so it can be thinner and more flexible. A little easier to snake through installations, or if you may be moving the cable or component around it won't strain the connectors on the gear at all.

The best RCA cable is the SilverChord SE-DUO. The others are very close to each other in performance with advantages in application and installation.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 27
My cables got here today.

I'm not pleased.

Sloppy soldering at best - useless soldering at worst.

On the rca plugs, the signal wire doesn't even touch the metal of the connector - solder is used as a conductor, not just for keeping a metal-metal connection secure. One one of the plugs the signal conductor hovers above the solder lug, with just a splat of solder on the lug itself. Not good.

The 1/4" female inline connector I ordered on one of my cables didn't turn out well either - a very bad joint between the connector and the cable's shield, which didn't even hold through transportation. And the two signal solder lugs were soldered horribly too.

The price is nice, the rest - nah. Can't reccomend a cable maker that manages to **** up that many joints on just 3 cables.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 27
Nah.

I've already wasted enough time on these stupid cables.

After redoing the joints I'm happy with the performance though. Both the cable and the plugs are top-notch, it just lacks quality control.

Nasty joints are acceptable at this ridiculously low price point - but not joints that don't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back